Notices

Valium Detox

Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ellie

Exclamation Valium Detox

Hi All,

I'm new to the board - my therapist wanted me to try a detox program but honestly I wasn't willing to AND I was worried about what might happen should my employer find out. Therefore I thought it could help to try some online support - chat with people who experience the same issues and understand what it's like....

Right now I'm struggling with valium. I actually have not been on v's very long - perhaps 2 months at the most but at pretty high doses (40-50mg). Just one of the many I've abused, but the only one I'm currently taking and trying to detox off.

Does anybody else have experience with weaning off valium? I still have a pretty good amount left and would like to slowly decrease the amount I've been taking in order to minimize the withdrawal affects that are associated with coming off of benzos.

Any ideas? Perhaps anybody who could just help/talk to me while I try to get through this process? While I haven't been on them long, I've had a long history of prescription drug abuse and this is just one of many, but the only one I've having to control right now.

Thank you all,

Ellie
Old 11-16-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Has your doctor given you a detox plan? I would ask for one. Benzo's have their own set of issues as far as detox.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Ellie!
Well, first of all you made a great choice by coming to this site. You will get unlimited support and advice from a lot of people who have been where you are or are still where you are, but we all want to help each other.

I do not have any personal experience detoxing from valium. Although I have abused it, I was never addicted to it. My addiction was to opiates, I would imagine that the withdrawals would borderline around the same thing. You feel achy, shaky, tired, can't sleep, your mind is racing and driving you crazy? I could not detox cold turkey from Oxy's so I went on a Suboxone program and am now on my 9th day off of a Methadone Program my doc set me up for.

My advice to you is this, especially cuz u haven't been doing them for a long time. You will be uncomfortable for a couple of days, but if you really want to get off of the valium u can tough it out and before u know it it's over. I set my detox up to be this big project, and that was my excuse for always putting it off. "I have to work" or "I'm home with the kids", but I finally did it and it sucked sure, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be and I have made it over part of the hill now, just 9 days later.

Within just 7 days you will feel better, you will feel like yourself again, if u remember who u are... I am now finding out who the real me is and I like her a lot better than the addict.

Good luck and please don't give up the fight! If you don't have any support at home go to an NA meeting and share with other addicts and recovered addicts who have been where u are now. It doesn't matter what each of is hooked on, an addict is an addict, the same mental make up or what ever u want to call it.
Please let us know how u r doing and don't be afraid to come on the site as often as u need to. Whenever I start freaking out or I am feeling really bad I come on and I feel better in a few minutes. There's always someone here to help!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good idea to get your doctors opinion

others here can help in the discussions as you go...

I am a recovering addict and have a program for my path of recovery.
I was introduced to Narcotics Anonymous when I went to an outpatient treatment program. I gave NA a go and it has been working for me.
I have not used any mind or mood altering substances since November 27th 2005.

Welcome!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lily,
glad to hear you are smarter than i and wish you well.I cold turkeyed xanax after 11yrs and am still very sick.
I joined a benzowithdrawal forum after 2months and it is a wealth of help and information on how to properly wean off benzos.

jen
Old 11-17-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would definitely go to the forum Benzoisland. I am 3 months free of Valium now after a long 18 month taper. Going cold turkey is very dangerous, could cause seizures and could lead to protracted withdrawal symptoms. As suggested above I would go to your doctor with the Ashton Protocol from Benzoisland and start a slow taper plan. I have belonged to Benzoisland for 2 years and the moderators there very knowledgable and supportive and you will gain a weatlh of information. It takes less than 2 weeks to become physically dependant and addicted to this crap.