Notices

dependent on opiates

Old 10-13-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dependent on opiates

hi im new here, i have been taking perscription oxycontin for neck pain for a couple years, now, ive found myself dependent on them now to function daily. i hate it. i came here because im embarrassed and ashamed of the situation and wanted to talk to someone about it. i would like to get off these and im considering suboxone. does anyone here know any other alternatives to getting of of opiates? thanks peep
Old 10-13-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am also an opiate addict I never tried suboxone but after being on methadone now for 6 months I wish I would have because now I am dependant on the meth. and from what I hear its very hard to kick. Suboxone sounds like its a great treatment and a shorter process. I wish I would of got help before my pill addiction lead to heroin. I wish you the best . If you are ready for help I would not waite too long.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR peep!
I was taking Vicoden for TMJ for a few years and became dependant on them so I can relate! After awhile they seemed to loose their pain killing effect and I needed more and more which resulted in me going from an 8-pill a day habit to a 20-25-pill a day habit in the course of one year.
There is no need to be embarrassed about your situation because it happens to ALOT of people and your DR will know what to do to help you wean off safely if you decide to confide in him/her.
Instead of going the Sub. or Meth. route (which means you will have to eventually wean off that too so why prolong the agony?)..I chose a 4-day rehab and was medically detoxed then followed up with lots of rest and TLC upon discharge at home. Meetings are a good way to keep ourselves grounded too!
Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck and please keep posting as I'm sure others will be along to help you out too!
Take care,
Jane
Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply, this is my big dilemma, should I wean myself off the oxys, or should I get help. Im a nurse and i think that’s why I feel such shame. One of the biggest side effects I am experiencing is PARANOIA. I think people suspect or know that im taking these or something, and being a nurse, I should know better than to become dependent on oxys. Also im in school and i cant concentrate anymore. When I weaned myself before, I felt better and took a lower dose of the oxys and functioned better and was happier, I did have increased neck pain, but my emotional well being was better. Is suboxone a pain reliever? Today, I cut down on the oxys today and I do feel better mentally, but my neck is killing me. Well, I'm so glad i found this site, Ive been on this here about 6 hours today and I’ve read some very good stories and comments, of which I can relate. I see a lot of “needing to be ready to stop” and I feel so crappy all the time, that I want to stop and get back to my normal self. I think I better stay away from the methadone, but im not sure about the suboxone… thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Peeps!
I've answered this one a bunch of times, so I copied my answer to post to you. Here it is:

I was in a very similar situation, college-educated, professional-type with a pain mgt problem, exacerbated by a using boyfriend. Expensive habit, isn't it?

I went to NA to get help. I had to end up going to an addictionologist to get off pain pills. I personally didn't have any luck with tapering schedules. I tried like, 100 of them. I didn't have any luck with cold-turkey either. My addictionologist, Dr. prescribed meds that helped enormously. It took a few months of suboxone, but I don't regret it. It helped me get my life together. It gave me a chance to ease off opiates and get my natural endorphins to gradually kick in without the major mind-numbing depression that a lot of long-term opiate addicts face.

I ended up breaking up with the b/f. I wanted to anyway, just didn't know how to do it with that monkey on my back. Suboxone gave me the freedom to do it. It isn't for everyone. It doesn't get you high, just "well." So if you aren't done getting high, don't waste your money. Also, it isn't for anyone who isn't physically addicted, or as they say physically dependant, on opiates. It isn't for casual or even frequent users. It isn't at all needed for that. In fact, if you aren't hooked on opiates, you could make your problem much worse by going on Suboxone, because it will make you dependant. It's what worked for me, and it took quite some time to get off of it. IMO, suboxone is the court of second-to-last resort. Methadone, from what I hear, is even harder to kick, and it also gets you high. So that's last-resort, for me. I would only try that if suboxone didn't work for my pain and all. But it did.

You need to go to NA and get a network of recovery friends, IMO. That's key to dealing with the feelings you've been shoving away with the drugs.
KJ
Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also talk to your physician about a pain clinic. They have some amazing pain management tools that are non narcotic. They specialize in pain that is what they do and they have so many tools that regular doctors haven't even begun to research.

Your doctor would be glad to refer you I'm sure.

There is a chronic pain forum here with many people who have learned how to manage their pain with medications and treatment that are not narcotic and a few that still use some form or narcotic but in a very structured way or a way that they do not control (pain pump). Check it out.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was in the same boat as you! I couldn't go into a inpatient treatment program because of work and my kids, so I did about 6 months of research and I decided what was best for me and my kids and my career was to get on suboxone. I am still living with back pain, and i don't know what the future is going to bring, but atleast I don't wake up in the morning needing that oxy. Keep us updated!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Opiates were my doc also. It got to the point that I thought I couldn't even function without a handful of lortabs or any narcotic pill. Suboxone is a very good treatment but the reason I didn't get those is fear of getting addicted to them (I have a friend who got addicted to them). I have been using neurotin and it helps me with cravings and seems to work for me.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

peeps...no need to feel embarrassed or ashamed! There were several professionals in the rehab I went to and we also have many here on this forum who are in recovery as well!
That is why I think talking to your prescribing DR (or even an Addictionologist) is a good idea. He/ she can help guide you to find a way to safely detox off the Oxy and possibly suggest several non-narcotic meds you could try once you are well. (Alot of times OTC meds work once we get clean and our perspectives change!)
If you don't want to go inpatient rehab there are several meds they can give you to safely detox at home such as Clonodine which worked very well for me both in rehab and upon discharge.

Jane