Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Why are cigarettes & caffeine exceptions in AA/NA

Notices

Why are cigarettes & caffeine exceptions in AA/NA

Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

It's a largely unstudied field, although some legitimate studies are actually popping up around the use of tobacco & it's ability to hinder neurological repair in alcoholics...

https://www.medicaldaily.com/case-ag...l-abuse-307607

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...327-story.html

https://mountainside.com/blog/could-...use-a-relapse/

I think we all also know how potent a strong coffee can be, especially on an empty stomach and IMO it's a form of escapism - escape from your feelings... such as apathy, boredom etc but then there's the positive social aspects such as connecting with others over a cup.

I'd love to see some studies done into caffeine and neural recovery in alcoholics & addicts, one day we might be looking back thinking how silly we all were making our recoveries trickier than they need be.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I have quit my coffee the last week, after being in such an anxious state. I love my morning coffee, but it wasn't helping me. I still drink about half a can of soda in the afternoon, and I'm going to stop that, too. I don't chain smoke, but I smoked while I had the flu. I have walked through blizzards to get my cigs. Last night's asthma attack will see me laying off those for a while, too. My point is, I guess, these things don't help me, even though I love them. Going to get totally clean, soon.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Of all addictive substances nicotine, smoking tobacco is the #1 killer and self-destructive behavior isn’t sobriety. Alcohol is the #2 killer. Tobacco treats depression, as does alcohol which engenders dependency / addiction.

Cigarettes cause an enormous burden of illness, disability and death. On average each year from 1997 to 2001, the cigarette caused more than 438,000 premature deaths in the United States3 and more than 3 million worldwide. Globally 1 person dies every 7 seconds from smoking-related diseases, and a smoker loses an average of 13.8 years of life. 4 The 2004 Surgeon General’s Report on The Health Consequences of Smoking found that children and adolescents who smoke are less physically fit and have more respiratory illnesses than their nonsmoking peers. In general, smokers’ lung function declines faster that of nonsmokers.

Tobacco affects some users financially. Here in the Northwest (USA), cigarettes are $10 a pack. One pack a day habit x 30 days = $300 a month. With a 2 pack a day habit, $600. This expense can and does with some affect basic living expenses, e.g. food clothing and shelter, mortgage, rent payments.

Nicotine is an alkaloid, as is heroin and the delivery system to the brain is similar. Most junkies I attend recovery meetings with share that nicotine addiction was more difficult to recovery from. It was more difficult for me, than alcohol.

Nicotine is the psychoactive drug in tobacco. Regular use of tobacco products leads to addiction in a high proportion of users. Nicotine addiction is the most common form of addiction in the United States. The National Survey on Drug Use and Health database shows that one of every three first time cigarette users become dependent. Nicotine addiction is especially prevalent among those who suffer from alcoholism and from other drug dependencies.

Coffee is a rich source of disease-fighting antioxidants. And studies have shown that it may reduce cavities, boost athletic performance, improve moods, and stop headaches -- not to mention reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, colon cancer, liver cancer, gall stones, cirrhosis of the liver, and Parkinson's diseases.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Huh? They call it Alcoholics Anonymous because it's about drinking and/or drugging. They've tried for decades and can find nothing harmful about caffeine. Most people get a year or so under their belt and quit smoking on their own.