Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

My Doctors Method Of getting me off Oxycodone and my story

Notices

My Doctors Method Of getting me off Oxycodone and my story

Old 03-19-2008, 09:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am so greatful for AA and NA.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I almost died from abusing my narcotic medication. The police came and restarted my heart until the police could get here. My oldest daughter was the one who called for help.

Today I am so greatful to everyone in my family who has stood by me and loved me but not enabled me anymore.

You can do this.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

How long have you been taking the Zoloft? It takes a period of time for your body to adjust to any medication and then side effects usually disappear. Anti depressants can be known for giving you an upset stomach at first. Please discuss this with your doctor also.

P.S. Great name. Care to share, lol?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccgirl2 View Post
How long have you been taking the Zoloft? It takes a period of time for your body to adjust to any medication and then side effects usually disappear. Anti depressants can be known for giving you an upset stomach at first. Please discuss this with your doctor also.

P.S. Great name. Care to share, lol?

I was on paxil for about 2 and a half months and was fine with that except it totally took away my sex drive, and for zoloft i was on it for about a week and a half... I only went to the doctor in the first place for anxiety, not depression, and these pills have made me so worse mentally. So I'm cutting them out, I have valium which i never really take and clonidine, which seems to help me out a lot. share about my name? I would but I'd have to kill you... no I just really can't think of one and usually no one has fluffyarmpit as there name, so i use it often.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was on methadone for a heroin addiction years ago, do not get on it. DO NOT GET ON IT. Quite honestly, I've tried everything, the high from methadone is more intense than oxycodone. DO NOT GET ON IT. Stick with your plan.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlethings View Post
I was on methadone for a heroin addiction years ago, do not get on it. DO NOT GET ON IT. Quite honestly, I've tried everything, the high from methadone is more intense than oxycodone. DO NOT GET ON IT. Stick with your plan.

Good luck.
cool thats what I want to know are things like that, I've taken methadone before but never to get high off of it, more because I was out of other opiates and had a 10mg laying around. Thanks for your input!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

anyone else have any more info about life after oxy? possible like suboxone and things like that to resist the urge, because I know methadone is no good, you get hooked on that crap.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah, I do.

See my post called 'not to toot my own horn, but ...'

That's some pretty good 'info' about life after oxy, if I say so myself.

And I got clean by moving AWAY from my dealers and influences, telling my family about my problem so I'd be accountable to someone, then switching to/weaning down on subs aka bupe under a skilled doctor's care.

It took me seven months of weaning, and about 96 hours of feeling like total s*it when I quit the bupes, then a couple more weeks of disturbed sleep and minor random aches and pains to get back to 100%.

I could not have done it weaning down off of oxycontin. But that's just me.

I also could not have done it without attending LOTS of NA and AA meetings in my early sobriety, and I continue to do so whenever time permits, usually 1 or 2 a week these days. It's one thing to 'get clean', it's a whole other thing to STAY clean. In AA/NA I've learned to readjust my thought processes regarding addiction and getting high, and it's helped immensely. I strongly recommend everyone trying to get clean/sober does the same. Regardless of whether you buy into the entire 'program' and the whole "God" part of things, there's a LOT to be gained just being part of a fellowship of people who are going through (or have been through) the same thing as yourself. There's a lot of wisdom in those rooms, if you can swallow your pride long enough to listen and accept what the people there tell you ...
Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

almost

I haven't posted on here in a while, because of some real life personal stuff thats been going on, but guess what the weening off has worked i'm down to 5mg percs, and have 4 days left, 5mg! after being so caught up its crazy in a month to be down to that. I have no wants for it at all no desire for opiates. but for everyone caught up on opiates or any drug, its possible. I wish you all the best!
Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Gosh, I tried the tapering thing many, many, many times with no success. But then, I held my own pills. I would get down to 20 mgs a day, then something would happen, I would get like really bad cravings and withdrawal, and would go out and get more pills. I hope you do better than I did with a taper. I ended up using suboxyn to get off of pills. It's working for me, I'm feeling very normal, no cravings, not high at all, and now tapering off that. What a relief.
kj
Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi fluffy,

That was quite a wake up call for you, Im glad you realize that and are doing something about it. Ive been an opiate, benzo, cocaine and mariuana addict for over 10 years now. I have overdosed many times and ended up in intensive care for a week, I was in a rollover car accident going 100 miles an hour on the expressway while taking perc's, flew out the drivers side window and landed 75 feet away from the car in a ditch, and that still didnt stop me from abusing drugs.

My addiction got worse after the car accident, my doc put me on ms contin ,percocet, norco's, klonopin and soma. That was two years ago. The pills made my cocaine and marijuana addiction worse. The emotional rollercoaster I have been on for the last 10 years was enough to make me quit recently. I am still under pain management for my many inujuries and ailments, but I too have my hubby hold on to my meds so I dont abuse them, which is working great so far!

I wish you well on your road to recovery. SR has been a great place for me to come talk and express my feelings. Do you have plans on trying aa or na? you will be in my prayers for your fiance to get clean too!
take care of yourself!
tangerine13
Old 04-25-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Talking oops

have a safe weekend!

Last edited by tangerine13; 04-25-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Posted message twice..
Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Fur Baby Crazy...Meeow!

Fluffy,
I am so glad to hear how well the taper is working. 5mg is fantastic! I am at 2.5 mg twice a day! Keep up the good work and I hope the personal stuff lets up for you so you can continue on your road to getting off percs.
Kari---
Old 04-26-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

yup personal stuff is working itself out thanks.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I had a bad reaction to zoloft. I was on it for 6 months before the doctors could figure out what was wrong! Uncontrollable vomiting, stomach cramps and diahrea were everyday symptoms as soon as I came off it I was better. I lost almost 70 lbs in 6 months.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Waiting For Engines

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fluffyarmpit View Post
I haven't posted on here in a while, because of some real life personal stuff thats been going on, but guess what the weening off has worked i'm down to 5mg percs, and have 4 days left, 5mg! after being so caught up its crazy in a month to be down to that. I have no wants for it at all no desire for opiates. but for everyone caught up on opiates or any drug, its possible. I wish you all the best!

Fluffy,

I cannot tell you how happy I am for you! Reading this post is inspirational to me, and I am certain, it is a slice of hope for all of the sick and suffering out there.

I hope you can accept my gratitude and blessings to you and yours'. I wish you serenity and peace, my friend. You deserve it.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am on Clonodine right now, and MScontin To de tox from Oxy... My Doctor did the ms contin becuase it doesnt' make you "high" like oxy's but you won't get sick, or have any withdrawals, than we did a slow decline from there. I am on week 3 or 4 I think, and the Clonodine really does help. Let me know how you are making out, it's totally hell, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ksos View Post
Fluffy,

I cannot tell you how happy I am for you! Reading this post is inspirational to me, and I am certain, it is a slice of hope for all of the sick and suffering out there.

I hope you can accept my gratitude and blessings to you and yours'. I wish you serenity and peace, my friend. You deserve it.

thank you very much, at the same time, I lost my apt because I broke up with my gf, she was going the opposite direction, lost my job and my mom stopped having any kind of contact with me because she is niave to drugs, so all that with the emotional downfall that opiates cause after long term use took its toll on me, physically and mentally. I remember when i had my apt one morning I woke up from being so stressed because my gf started selling coc while i'm trying to get off, and i just cried that whole day. the next day i could barely walk and started felt sick to my stomach, took my prescriped amount of oxy. felt better, and made it through the day, I remember days of just crying thinking one stupid pill made all this happen. Then after talking to a lot of people and getting there perspective (non users) they made me realize, you have to think of things one thing at a time and one day at a time, you think of everything thats going wrong, its a pile and will only make you turn the other way and go back. and I didn't, I said F that I'm stronger than this pill and it didn't ruin my life, what did was consuming myself in my relationship and depending on a person that cared less about me than what I thought she did. So I moved out all i could, and have been at my dads, I changed my number, I showed up and she had taken all my stuff, 2 big screen tv's yada yada, I had to call the cops and thankfully was able to produce a receipt for a 52 inch big screen she hauled off in, but things are replaceable, I want to work on getting a job because emotionally i think i can handle it now, and i surround myself with non users. everyone i tell my story to can't believe it, my doctor, my pharmacist that i became friends with, after getting so many perscripts you kinda have that happen, and he was amazed. I just wanted to post to give anyone struggling inspiration that its possible to ween off, you have to give your drugs to someone else and have them give em to you day by day and no giving in if you feel sick or anything, it'll pass and the next day is new and better. Thats the best way to go, so anyone thinking of weening off and your doctor is willing, give them to someone you trust, and have them deal em out to you and have them never give in and give you more because you don't feel good. when you cut back its like a 72 hour period from what my dad said is the hard part, you will live and you can get off. I hope everyone ends up with what they want. I appreciate all of your compliments.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lullu74 View Post
I am on Clonodine right now, and MScontin To de tox from Oxy... My Doctor did the ms contin becuase it doesnt' make you "high" like oxy's but you won't get sick, or have any withdrawals, than we did a slow decline from there. I am on week 3 or 4 I think, and the Clonodine really does help. Let me know how you are making out, it's totally hell, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
i'm on clonidine now, because i had high blood pressure and it does help with opiate withdrawls, MS contin just means controlled release instead of immediate or exteneded, and yes you can still get high off em just don't misuse them and take as prescriped, I wish you luck, its possible, and your life will be so much better, than to be controlled by some dumb pill. I'm doing very well on 5mg oxys once a day, at the peak of my useage i was snorting 240mg oxy. my doctor set me up with 3 20 mg oxy's 3 times a day and every 5 days cut back one, I handed over 270 20 mg oxys to my dad which was so hard because i did it on my own, but i knew that if i didn't i wouldn't ween off, i'd be high. i went from 3 20mg 3 times a day down to 5mg once a day and i feel fine. emotionally and physically. there were hard times during it trust me trust me trust me, you just have to expect it and fight through it and realize the light at the end of the tunnel, oh and you have to want it, thats the most important. I hope you make it, keep me posted as well.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm all done!! Not fishing for compliments or congradulations or anything like that, I just want anyone that is caught up to know it's possible, i feel fine emotionally and physically. You just have to want it, and know (unless you've been using for 20 years) you won't die, it's gonna hurt, but at the end of the tunnel, you think clearer, have more energy, more motivation, more everything, besides a pill and a temporary feeling. I hope this will inspire at least one person to quit, but like i said what worked for me was weening off and handing the bottle over to someone who would not give in if i wanted just a half of another one i was hurting so bad, the next day, i felt better. I hope this helps someone out there. Good luck you guys.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Awesome dude, that's great news, congrats!

So when was your last pill? Are you saying your done with withdrawals and everything?