Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Is Gabapentin used to treat withdrawal symptoms.

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Like getting rid of the jitters...ants-in-the-pants, restlessness. Just wondering.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dunno, never heard ofit.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rozied

Dear Peter, It is called Neurontin. It is used for Epilepsy, and for Postherpetic Neuralgia. ( nerve pain ) I really don't know if it helps with withdrawal. If you search it on Google you can read all about it.
Diane
Old 12-18-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

They put me on neurontin the in nuthouse when I was detoxing. Also Zyprexa, Lithium, Librium, and some other garbage. I threw the scripts away right after I walked out the door.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know what it is Diane. I have never heard ofit being used to treat withdrawal symptoms.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
They put me on neurontin the in nuthouse when I was detoxing. Also Zyprexa, Lithium, Librium, and some other garbage. I threw the scripts away right after I walked out the door.
The doc put me on this crap today after I told him about my feelings of withdrawals since they(the clinic) don't have a clue when I can start Suboxone treatment. I read up about this drug over the internet and found out the crap has worse withdrawals then opiates...yet this guy wants to use it to also treat my chronic pain. What a dope. I think next week will be spent finding a new doctor. Too bad most of them are off for Christmas.

I haven't taken any yet. I heard it makes you very drowsy. He also gave me script for the Clonodine patch and some anti-nausea med called Finnegan (probably spelled that wrong).

Anywoo, if I'm not put on Suboxone by the 26th, I'm gonna have one crappy New Years Eve to look forward too.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think the stuff works awesome for withdrawals, personally. My sub doc gave me some when I was kicking, and along with clonidine, the combo really helped a lot. It's a nerve pain blocker, non-narcotic.

And whomever is saying it has worse w/d's as opioids is full of crap. That's nonsense.

Now, it might be mildly dependence producing if you took enough of it for long enough, but what drug doesn't do that, really?

And it didn't make me drowsy at all, at least, not when I was in w/d's, maybe it would now that my system is working normally, but back then? Hell no.

Used as directed, under a docs care ... should cause you minimal problems. NOTHING like the hell of opioids, that much I can tell you for certain. And it DOES help with w/d pain, too. Not a TON, but a fair bit. At least as much as clonidine helps, put it that way.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you aint never took fenergan or fennigan whatever you better hope your not allergic to It like me. It makes me hallucinate scream at the top of my lungs I get way of there on that stuff. If you never had it have someone with you when you take it . That stuff scares me and the people around me worse.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Neurontin is used for w/d and will help. I have never heard of w/d coming off of it though. When I detoxed myself I used it and it did make me sleepy (very mild) and also helped. But when I did an inpatient detox I was given clonidine, phenergan and various other stuff I cant remember right now. But the clonidine was awesome! It lowered the blood pressure and is amazing for other w/d symptoms. Also phenergan is a great med for nausea but it will also make you sleepy. Actually the phenergan will make you sleepier than the neurontin.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was very lucky to have Gabapentin (thanks to my step-grandfather) during the week before I went into rehab, and honestly, it's a great alternative to just being dopesick.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks for the replies. It makes me a little less nervous now going into withdrawals if that's what it comes down to.

It's strange though that when I brought the drug's name up in group today no one ever heard of it before. Not the one directing the group or the addicts there.

They are gonna try to put me on Suboxone before I run out Vicodin. However, maybe I should just stop taking the Vicodin this weekend to get it over with.

Maybe I should ask for Clonodine in pill form too? Or would that be overdoing it? He just gave me the patch.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was on the pill form once and it worked but I ran out before I was suppose to and end the end it didnt help. At my inpatient detox they gave me a clonodine patch that worked for like 3 days and let me tell you it worked exactly how it is suppose to work and it helped wonders!! If it were me I would highly recommend the patch over the pill anyday!