Notices

Klonopin cold turkey? How long?

Old 11-01-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Klonopin cold turkey? How long?

I take 1mg klonopin as perscribed by my dr, but am feeling like its not enough any more. Been on it for over a year. Instead of upping my dose, I'd like to quit. Since 1mg is not a lot, does anyone know what i can expect and if it is safe to go off of it cold turkey? my doctor doesn't see a reason for me to stop but i don't want to be addicted to anything.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

IDK my man<check out some of the benzo sites under the SEARCH, but why do u want to come off it? Has it been effective for you?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would never cold turkey off of any benzo. Be careful. Ask your dr what he/she thinks.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Talk to your doctor before quitting cold turkey. Sometimes it can be dangerous for some people.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it depends on the person.. 1 mg is not alot; BUT youve been on it for over a year..
Old 11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

1mg klonopin is equivalent to 20mg diazepam/valium. You should not quit this amount of klonopin cold turkey. Benzodiazepines such as klonopin need to be tapered very slowly and you need to be under a doctors supervision while you get off them.

Have you read the Ashton manual?
http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm
Old 11-01-2007, 11:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really think the withdrawal depends upon the person; and not a manual... Please show me the literature on 1mg of Klonopin= 20 Mg of Valium... would like to see that..

In my opinion; I don't think a darn rocket scientist could really figure out how to safely get someone off of the benzos..

I really think there should be a seperate benzo board on SR...

I just took a look at her manual.. who makes her the expert.. lets see her go through benzo withdrawal..

It takes months if not years to get off of the benzos.. I am no expert.. but I have heard horror stories.. on the benzo boards on other forums..
Old 11-01-2007, 11:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

That's the problem, i believe, with Benzos. Aftre a while they lose their effect and you need more to achieve the same effect.
I definately think you should do it under docs supervision.
Use the Ashton Manual for reference.
Good luck.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

2ala, we are posting right on top of each other.. LOL..
Old 11-02-2007, 12:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

lol
Old 11-02-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I quit everything in about 3 days at a psych unit. 1 mg of klonopin=20mgs of valium ain't that high of a dose but everybody's body chemistry is different. Best be safe and have you doctor work out a taper program for you(that is if you are one of the ones who can taper a substance). Good luck with it. Lots of looneybirds out there on the innerwebz so make sure you talk with a doctor before doing anything.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

never go cold turkey off of benzo's , I took klonopin before and ran out and I thought I was going to die, then I found a way to get some more , I had taken either klonopin or xanax for 5 yrs, by the time I went to detox I was up to 12 mgs of xanax and they gave me 50 mgs of Librium for 7 days to get off of xanax and alcohol.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What is up with benzos? They seem to have overtaken alcohol and opiates as the abused doc! Maybe I just don't understand because I never abused them, but they sure seem to be the devil in disguise!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I wouldn't recommend my detox for anyone, as I'm not a doctor, but like Windy, I came off everything all at once. I was mixing high doses of Valium (in excess of 100mg/day) and Klonopin (15-20mg or more at a time) with excessively high doses of opiates (oxys & Vicadins). I refused all detox drugs and had to have my vitals monitored every hour on the hour round the clock. It may not have been smart, but the alternative for me was death. If I couldn't get off everything, I fully intended to end my life.

I have no idea how much of my PAWS was from benzos, how much from opiates, how much from coke, how much from booze...all I know is that, looking back, most of my first six months clean is a fog. But then, so were the previous twenty years.

I stayed clean and went to meetings, worked my steps with a sponsor, kept putting one foot in front of the other, and things got better. And I know I'm getting off topic, but I have to mention this: when I got clean, I was so scattered, my attention span was so poor, I couldn't read. I couldn't focus to read. I'm in what I expect to be my 7th Dean's list semester, and I'm due to graduate in the spring, if not summa *** laude, then magna *** laude at the very least.

Good for you in not wanting to go up in dose. Benzos are the arch enemy of clear thinking.

Peace & Love,
Sugah