Notices

on vacation need a little support

Old 07-05-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation on vacation need a little support

I have been sober now for a little over 5 mos. I am doing good, going to mtgs., have a sponsor, read, etc. I am on vacation with my husband and 3 girls at the beach. Yes, it's that time for sun and fun!
Something that really bothers me is the fact that my husband gets totally hammered while out on the beach and it annoys the **** out of me. I never was a big drinker, but still I think it's disrespectful for him to do this everytime we are at the beach or any other function where alcohol may be served. He is not mean or a smart *** right now but the more he drinks the ruder he becomes.
Do i have the right to be offended especially if it makes me uncomfortable or do i need to just suck it up and deal with it?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd be inclined to say it'd be best for you if you can get yourself out of the 'it's disrespectful/I'm offended' line of thinking.

What does your sponsor have to say on the subject?

My significant other drinks a glass or two of wine here at home on a regular basis, although I can't, and sometimes gets smashed around me (usually I'm not around when she's drinking a lot though, she goes out w/friends for that, maybe once a month), and yeah, I just kinda suck it up. I'm the one w/the drug and alcohol problem, not her.

I definitely don't think it's healthy for you to be taking his drinking it so ... personally. Not putting you down, it's just not all about you, ya know?

At the same time, you gotta look out for yourself, and if you feel like it's putting your sobriety in a precarious position, you should also feel well w/in your rights to just say you're not going to the beach w/him today if he's going to be getting drunk. Don't be all pissy about it, just say it in a matter of fact way that you can't deal w/ it today because you're feeling weak in your sobriety, you're gonna go do something else.

If he can't respect that ... THEN you have a problem.