SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Substance Abuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/)
-   -   will valium help opiate withdrawal (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/116395-will-valium-help-opiate-withdrawal.html)

elsa 02-21-2007 02:03 PM

will valium help opiate withdrawal

I am trying to quick my opiate use, however I do not have the option of major withdrawals as I have an 8 yr old and a job. I have access to some valium and I am curious is that would help with the withdrawals

Thanks for any input

Elise

waldo 02-21-2007 02:09 PM

Thomas's Recipe

Dear Elsa:

I think Thomas's recipe calls for a benzo of some type, librium or something, to get off opiates. Plus, there are vitamins, immodium, and hot showers. i think the B Vitamins are important. So, it would seem to me, yes.

however, someone else with more knowledge on this subject will follow. So, please check back. good Luck!

Waldo

ayla zaire 02-21-2007 02:11 PM

welcome to sr.....glad you found us....

i'm sorry, but i can't give you advice about this.....the safe thing to do would be to ask your doctor.......

how many days sober do you have?

your doctor can help you figure out the best way for you to quit safely....

good luck...
ayla

GlassPrisoner 02-21-2007 02:14 PM

They gave me Benzos when comng off of Alcohol in re-hab. It took the edge off and lowered my blood pressure.

The last time I white knuckled it. Wouldn't recomend that.

And, see a Doctor !!!!!!!

mikiglen 02-21-2007 02:57 PM

benzos can definitely help, but they are extremely, extremely addictive and the withdrawals can be life threatening.
i would not take any, unless you just absolutely had to, and of course, talk to your doctor first

leeside 02-21-2007 03:53 PM

It is probably a felony to give you advice to take a controlled substance to help with with withdrawal when I believe having "access" to them means they were not prescribed for you.

I would also be responsible if you have medical problems because of it.

Valiums can be highly addictive and have some very bad side effects and withdrawal symptoms. Only a medical doctor can advise you to take controlled substances.

frstnm 02-21-2007 04:00 PM

id see a doctor and if they think valium is a good idea they will prescibe
dont wanna get a monkey on your back
been there done that////

elsa 02-21-2007 04:07 PM

I was prescribed them

I was prescribed them, I just wanted your opinion

Elise

emmer 02-21-2007 05:08 PM

In my opinion ...and this is only my opion Some Benzos ( ex: KLonopin & Xanax) are worse to withdrawal from that heroin. And I agree with Mikiglen
Benzos are extremely, extremely addictive and the withdrawals can be life threatening

StagebearNJ 02-21-2007 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by elsa (Post 1219506)
I do not have the option of major withdrawal

Those who know me at all here know my first response was
"Option? Huh?"
But I see you seriously feel you need an easier way out. In my humble opinion, meds can be of great help while withdrawing. However, self-prescribing was a pitfall for me in the first days of my journey from opiates and I could easily have overdosed. Not something an 8 year old needs to see, huh?
Please, see a doctor.
Happy to not have shot my mouth off for once, I remain your humble servant,
Da Stagebear

mikiglen 02-21-2007 06:49 PM

hey elise, i just realized that part, too
i think you have read my thread...you know i stopped a 300mg day hydro habit with four kids and a job....i did it, i know you can, too
mis

Buzz Kilowatt 02-21-2007 07:13 PM

The usual caveats and disclaimers apply. What follows is a layman's opinion, nothing more, to be discussed with your physician if you think it is appropriate to do so.

My opinion is a big "maybe."

Typical opiate withdrawal symptoms include anxiety and insomnia. Benzos, in moderation, can take the edge off of the anxious and sleepless times. However, another common reaction to opiate withdrawal is depression and lack of energy. Benzos can exacerbate depression and if you are not anxious they will often make you more tired. For these reasons they may be counter-productive.

Nonetheless, for the reasons cited, I think Valium or other benzos can possibly be helpful during the initial stages of withdrawal. Because of their well-known risks I would hope your doctor would give you no more than about a week's supply. You don't want to substitute one addictive substance for another.

Also, IMHO, the agony and discomfort associated with opiate withdrawals is awful to go through but serves as a powerful deterrant to relapsing. If you are totally zoned out during the acute phase of withdrawal (i.e. the first 5 days) then maybe that important "lesson" will be lessened or missed.

Some places tout expensive withdrawal methods that leave a patient in a twilight state of anaesthesia, claiming an essentially "painless" withdrawal. This technique has claimed a few lives in the process. Whether or not a "painless" withdrawal is possible or even desireable is a good topic for discussion. I would love to see the results of any studies on the long-term effectiveness of the "painless" approach. Given no negative reinforcement, is an addict more or less likely to relapse?

More good research is needed.

Buzz

emmer 02-21-2007 07:35 PM

That's true Buzz. I almost forgot about the depression that benzos can cause
My new doctor told me that long term benzo use -besides the addiction and horrible,horrible withdrawal- benzos can and do make people depressed. I went thru that. I suppose benzos have there place, but boy oh boy they can be dangerous. I think that they shouldn't be prescribed for more than a week also.
Being an addict I can't have those things around me ....quite honestly I might very well gulp them all down, Even with about 115 days clean....I just can't be around them....IMHO, there just too addictive. Good luck my friend.

apcesarini 11-26-2009 03:11 PM

opiat recovery

my name is andrew and i just became a member when i saw your post on a google search actually. but anyways, i had a 2 year addiction with percocet and oxycottin, and just became sober 9,1,09. i saw your question and i think that my experience could really help you. just reply a message on the site and i might be ably to figure it out...its new to me.
Andrew

Sugah 11-26-2009 03:36 PM

Andrew, welcome. The post to which you're replying is almost three years old. The original poster hasn't been here since 2007.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

CleanandSober44 11-29-2009 11:08 PM

Coming off Opiates is a breeze compared to Benzos. I tapered off benzos and have been off of them for 7 months and still feeling some sypmtoms.

I wouldnt mess with them unless supervized by doc for only a week at the very most.

Nallabelle 11-30-2009 05:00 AM

2007? I hope they got the answers they needed.

Claudius 11-30-2009 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Buzz Kilowat
Also, IMHO, the agony and discomfort associated with opiate withdrawals is awful to go through but serves as a powerful deterrant to relapsing.

It does?

I feel that benzo's do help with withdrawal but as always one has to be careful how you take it because the last thing you want is a new habit and all the other reasons Buzz mentioned.

I'm pretty sure, Waldo, that it is Vitamin C one wants to take. At least I believe that is what I recieved when I was at rehab.

windysan 11-30-2009 10:41 AM

Doctors use benzos to treat withdrawal for opiates and alcohol. Made SURE you are under a doctor's care.

sandnuka 12-02-2009 10:39 PM

Benzo's will only help with the anxiety/shakes/restless legs you get from quiting... The diaherra youll need immodium.... it might help you sleep better, but really the best way to get off with nearly no withdrawl that I have exp. is suboxone. in a short term dose... ask your doc. Good luck, god bless.