Notices

Cravings / Suboxone maint ??

Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings / Suboxone maint ??

Has anybody here gone back to taking suboxone after the initial detox. I've been clean for 3 months (1 relapse). I was on sub for about 3 weeks for detox. I was just wondering has anybody started back on sub for severe cravings and lingering w/d sympt. I know that some people take it for long term.
Any feedback is appreciated.
mike
Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

Yes, I did a 4 week detox initially in September and part of October last year. Spent December mostly clean until I relapsed at Christmas. Went back on the suboxone on a 4mg then 2mg maintenance dose until about a week and 1/2 ago. So far I'm craving free. I recommend it for what you're talking about. Whatever you do, don't let them start you out at 8mg after being off for a while. They did it to me and I thought I could handle it. It initially felt like I was overdosing so I bumped myself down to 4mg which made the lingering w/d symptoms fade away, anxiety mostly go away, and cravings go away mostly.

ETA: BOOM SHAKALAKA!!!!!!! 100 POSTS!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Scott,
When your started taking sub again were you using. Did you have to go through detox. I haven't currently used. Are you still taking sub?
thanks
mike
Old 04-02-2009, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Taking subs 'long term' doesn't generally refer to the scenario that you're describing. People who do that 99% of the time it's because they are not ABLE to get clean and put some time behind them ... something that you've already accomplished. I really hope you'll look into other means by which you can overcome these cravings than by relapsing ... cause that's really what going BACK onto subs after a period of clean-time is.

Bottom-line, I would try to find another way, if I were you. Have you tried any meetings with recovering addicts yet? Most of us have found that helpful, as I'd imagine you've noticed by now around these parts. Not telling ya what to do my friend, but that's my best advice
Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alldun View Post
I was just wondering has anybody started back on sub for severe cravings and lingering w/d sympt.
Mike,

I just quickly reviewed your past posts and it appears that you have attended support meetings and, when you relapsed, admonished yourself to get to meetings. I hope that you are attending pretty much every day. Suboxone or no Suboxone, for me meetings are crucial.

I haven't been taken off my Suboxone since starting it, but I have attempted to lower the dose (prematurely) and have experienced anxiety and terrible cravings. Mind you, I don't have a long history of opiate addiction, but I still experience very intense cravings. I can only surmise that everyone is different when it comes to craving. The subject still causes me a lot of shame.

Personally, I think that BV's suggesion is the ideal. However, I don't hold the same opinion that if your addiction doctor were to restart you on subs that you are relapsing. My doctor (himself in recovery) is of the very firm conviction that short-term Suboxone therapy doesn't usually work and longer-term therapy does. Please note the word usually. I really thought that I would be one of the exceptions. My experience has told me that I, most likely, am not. In fact, if it had not been for the Suboxone the last six weeks, there are several times that I really believe that I would have relapsed.

You may be one of those people for whom a ninety-day or a one hundred-twenty day course of Suboxone will improve your chances of remaining clean. Of course, now that you have been off opioids for three months, you will be developing a dependency upon an opioid again by getting back on subs, which will require you to withdraw off them again. But, it might very well be in your best interest. My doctor is one who sees Suboxone as a legitimate means by which to treat the disease of opioid addiction for the long run.

I suggest that you speak to your addictions doctor to see if he thinks that a longer term course of Suboxone might improve your chances of remaining clean.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friend

I think Christin's post sums it up perfectly

you should talk to your dr about it for sure!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

Originally Posted by alldun View Post
Scott,
When your started taking sub again were you using. Did you have to go through detox. I haven't currently used. Are you still taking sub?
thanks
mike
I had relapsed at Christmas and then spent two weeks clean only to still be having cravings, anxiety, and trouble sleeping. Went to see a psychiatrist and he diagnosed my problem as "post acute withdrawal syndrome" (PAWS). Then he put me on a maintenance dose of suboxone that he planned on lasting six months. I ended it in three. Have been clean since December 26, 2008.