Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you addicts out there!!!

Notices

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you addicts out there!!!

Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Happy Thanksgiving to all of you addicts out there!!!

Good Morning (at least it is here in Chicago). I know that Thanksgiving and the Holiday season can be a tough time for alcoholics/addicts. I try to use today as a time to be thankful/grateful for everything I do have in my life today.

#1. My SOBRIETY
#2. My FAMILY
#3. My Health
#4 Another day on this earth

and much much more.

Feel free to share anything you are thankful for OR if you are struggling and you feel like you have nothing you can share that too. I know what it feels like to be hopeless. Like you are destined to be stuck in addiction forever and die that way. It used to drive me crazy when people would say if I can do it so can you because that was not my experience. I was sure I would never get out of the hell I was in.

Well I am here to say - If I can do it so can you! I went from being a miserable junky shooting several hundred dollars of H a day. Who had to wake up early to sneak into the bathroom while my wife and kids were still sleeping to use just so I could function. To being happy - finally at peace. Finally able to look at myself in the mirror again and not be ashamed of who I am. What a gift!!!

I just want to say to anyone who has found what I have to ENJOY IT and those of you who are still sitting on the sidelines feeling trapped that there is HOPE!!!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Marcus))) - though I have family snapping and yelling at each other, I'm grateful that I'm not in the middle of it Also grateful that I don't have any desire to use to deal with it.

We will have some good times, a few snappy moments, but very grateful that I still have family that loves me. Recovery rocks!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

I am thankful for a LOT of things, not the least of which is that I am not sitting where I was a year ago, still counting pills and "tapering" off opiates. Ha!

I have a fabulous family, with an intact marriage despite the misery I put my poor husband through during my pre, inter, and post-addiction phases. At the end of the day, the ONLY thing that really matters in life is our loved ones.

Congratulations to you Marcus. You truly are an inspiration, and I hope to see you here helping others in the months to come.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

FT
Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am greatful for being drug free, for my family and sooo patient and understanding OH. A HUG THANKS to this site and everyone in it from all walks of life. This site has truly helped make it possible to educate myself in my addiction. So greatful I stumbled upon it on my first week of withdrawals.