Can Suboxone Cause Cancer? My Story. - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation

Can Suboxone Cause Cancer? My Story.

I am interested in alerting people to the potential carcinogenicity of Suboxone. I have used sublingual strips for over 7 years for pain relief for Fibromyalgia (I am also a recovered alcoholic). In April 2018 I was diagnosed with aggressive squamous cell carcinoma (cancer) of my tongue and surgery was performed to remove a significant portion of the right side of my tongue (the SAME side I used sublingually 7 years for my Suboxone. I am not a smoker, have been sober since 1980 and eat mainly a vegetarian diet. It is my belief that Suboxone is a carcinogen. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE EXPERIENCE(s) SIMILIAR TO MINE TO SHARE??? My current Pain Management Physician and the next one I spoke with REFUSE to remove me from Suboxone and place me on opiates for my pain control. What should I do? Options?

Last edited by massonwood; 05-31-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: delete smilie...
massonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi Masonwood and welcome

I'm sorry for your diagnosis and wish you the best in fighting it.

I've not heard, even anecdotally, about a link between subs and cancers - but there are many accepted links with past alcohol abuse, smoking etc. ( I appreciate you're not a smoker)

It might be difficult for you to prove without doubt that the sub is a factor, let alone the single cause?

D
Old 08-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Suboxone a oral cancer?

My Mom died at 65 from an oral cancer...she never smoked, drank, exercised 2x week, was 5'7" 125lbs. before she got sick. I have been on Sub for 2 years and taking sublingual IS a concern of mine! Doctors of course say there is NO connection between them...........any insight appreciated!!!!
kevinsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Same issue here

Just got diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer after left side of my tongue developed a sore that turned out to be a tumor. I'd been on Suboxone for 2 years prior to this and had been getting sores ever since starting but CV continued because I didn't want to be switched to methadone. Cancer never even crossed my mind until my tongue began to swell and antibiotics didn't phase it. Now I'm starting down the barrel of having my tongue removed along with all of the lymph nodes on both sides of my neck. I smoked for 10 years and switched to vaping about the same time I started suboxone so I'm sure it will be blamed on that but deep down I know bbn it was the suboxone.
Bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Bsmith found treatment at None (N/A)
Old 12-01-2019, 03:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm sorry for your diagnosis Bsmith, whatever the cause.

D

Tags
cancer of the tongue with prolonged suboxone sublingual usage , oral cancer-the price of recovery? , squamous cell carcinoma and suboxone use , suboxone 8/2 side effects , suboxone and oral cancer