SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/)
-   -   Can Suboxone Cause Cancer? My Story. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/428317-can-suboxone-cause-cancer-my-story.html)

massonwood 05-31-2018 03:53 PM

Can Suboxone Cause Cancer? My Story.

I am interested in alerting people to the potential carcinogenicity of Suboxone. I have used sublingual strips for over 7 years for pain relief for Fibromyalgia (I am also a recovered alcoholic). In April 2018 I was diagnosed with aggressive squamous cell carcinoma (cancer) of my tongue and surgery was performed to remove a significant portion of the right side of my tongue (the SAME side I used sublingually 7 years for my S:tyouuboxone. I am not a smoker, have been sober since 1980 and eat mainly a vegetarian diet. It is my belief that Suboxone is a carcinogen. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE EXPERIENCE(s) SIMILIAR TO MINE TO SHARE??? My current Pain Management Physician and the next one I spoke with REFUSE to remove me from Suboxone and place me on opiates for my pain control. What should I do? Options?

Dee74 05-31-2018 04:05 PM

Hi Masonwood and welcome :)

I'm sorry for your diagnosis and wish you the best in fighting it.

I've not heard, even anecdotally, about a link between subs and cancers - but there are many accepted links with past alcohol abuse, smoking etc. ( I appreciate you're not a smoker)

It might be difficult for you to prove without doubt that the sub is a factor, let alone the single cause?

D

kevinsm 08-11-2018 03:09 PM

Suboxone a oral cancer?

My Mom died at 65 from an oral cancer...she never smoked, drank, exercised 2x week, was 5'7" 125lbs. before she got sick. I have been on Sub for 2 years and taking sublingual IS a concern of mine! Doctors of course say there is NO connection between them...........any insight appreciated!!!!

Bsmith 12-01-2019 01:33 AM

Same issue here

Just got diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer after left side of my tongue developed a sore that turned out to be a tumor. I'd been on Suboxone for 2 years prior to this and had been getting sores ever since starting but CV continued because I didn't want to be switched to methadone. Cancer never even crossed my mind until my tongue began to swell and antibiotics didn't phase it. Now I'm starting down the barrel of having my tongue removed along with all of the lymph nodes on both sides of my neck. I smoked for 10 years and switched to vaping about the same time I started suboxone so I'm sure it will be blamed on that but deep down I know bbn it was the suboxone.

Dee74 12-01-2019 02:07 AM

I'm sorry for your diagnosis Bsmith, whatever the cause.

D

Girltxnyc 11-11-2020 07:25 PM

My husband diagnosed with oral cancer

Just found this post. My husband was just diagnosed with oral cancer of the tongue. Same spot where he put sublingual strip for years. We both feel its related to the strip but no idea how we would ever confirm. He's about to have part of his tongue removed along with lymph nodes.

Dee74 11-11-2020 08:01 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Girktxnyc - I wish your husband a complete recovery.

D

Khamit 12-01-2020 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bsmith (Post 7321723)
Just got diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer after left side of my tongue developed a sore that turned out to be a tumor. I'd been on Suboxone for 2 years prior to this and had been getting sores ever since starting but CV continued because I didn't want to be switched to methadone. Cancer never even crossed my mind until my tongue began to swell and antibiotics didn't phase it. Now I'm starting down the barrel of having my tongue removed along with all of the lymph nodes on both sides of my neck. I smoked for 10 years and switched to vaping about the same time I started suboxone so I'm sure it will be blamed on that but deep down I know bbn it was the suboxone.

I have just recently started having trouble with a lump on my neck on the side I take the strips and the lymph nodes on the side I take it. Definitely not a coincidence

Khamit 12-01-2020 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Khamit (Post 7550412)
I have just recently started having trouble with a lump on my neck on the side I take the strips and the lymph nodes on the side I take it. Definitely not a coincidence

And I do not smoke or anything. I’ve been on subs for about a year and a half

Dee74 12-01-2020 04:45 PM

Welcome Khamit

Have you gotten it checked out?

D

slimjim30 06-27-2022 05:14 PM

Could you talk to your doctor about trying methadone? It has a much longer history of use and is generally used for the same purpose as suboxone.

Alicia73Alicia 08-19-2022 07:18 AM

I actually searched the title with the same words and found this thread! I hope you are still active

Originally Posted by massonwood (Post 6912913)
I am interested in alerting people to the potential carcinogenicity of Suboxone. I have used sublingual strips for over 7 years for pain relief for Fibromyalgia (I am also a recovered alcoholic). In April 2018 I was diagnosed with aggressive squamous cell carcinoma (cancer) of my tongue and surgery was performed to remove a significant portion of the right side of my tongue (the SAME side I used sublingually 7 years for my S:tyouuboxone. I am not a smoker, have been sober since 1980 and eat mainly a vegetarian diet. It is my belief that Suboxone is a carcinogen. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE EXPERIENCE(s) SIMILIAR TO MINE TO SHARE??? My current Pain Management Physician and the next one I spoke with REFUSE to remove me from Suboxone and place me on opiates for my pain control. What should I do? Options?

My husband and I have been on Suboxone treatment through our primary care provider for several years now. He recently had a lesion pop up on his tongue. We saw an ENT yesterday, and he said that he believes it is oral cancer. We will get definite results on Tuesday. He did a biopsy then and there. He’s also already called for a CT scan on the neck region. I was desperately trying to find someone who may have had a similar experience. Please let me know if if you see this. And I hope that you are OK

Alicia73Alicia 08-19-2022 07:30 AM

My husband- tongue lesion

Originally Posted by Khamit (Post 7550412)

My husband saw an ENT yesterday, we have been taking Suboxone for treatment for several years. The ENT believes it is cancer, he performed a biopsy immediately. He is already sending my husband for a CT of his neck. And he is also already talking about possibly having to remove lymph nodes. I am hoping that you are OK. And you beat whatever this crap is!!