Notices

Bad reaction when I tried Suboxone

Old 01-26-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Free your mind

Thumbs down Bad reaction when I tried Suboxone

I had a pretty fast and ugly relapse on dope recently. Decided to give in and give subs a shot. Went to a sleazy doctor in a sleazy clinic and even though I was very skeeved out by the used car salesmen atmosphere, I decided to give it a fair shot and let him prescribe me some Suboxone.

I waited approximately 38 hours since my last dose of dope, made sure I was quite sick so that I wouldn't get the dreaded precipitated withdrawals. I put the little strip under my tonue and for the first 30 minutes I was fine, then I was suddenly hit with the most awful wave of symptoms. I immediately became incredibly anxious, I was sweating like mad, I had to run to the bathroom repeatedly. It was horrible. It was like my sympathetic nervous system went crazy on me. This lasted about 2 hours then stabilized. I still felt a bit jittery, but was somewhat functional.

I tried a half dose around 7 hours later. Same exact scene played out,

Woke up at 4am dopesick, so I put a strip under my tongue and experienced the same scenario. 30 minutes of feeling fine followed by that awful, awful 2 hour sickness.

Went to my IOP counselor that morning and told her I didn't think subs were for me, she helped me get into a short inpatient detox. I'm now clean off dope & subs.

I'm just wondering how common this kind of reaction is to suboxone? Thank you.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bad sneaker the same thing happened to me. I really wanted to quit the sub at that time, but my doctor said it happens to some people but goes away after a week or two. I did lower my dose quite a bit and that helped. And it did go away. But good for you that you already detoxed and don't need sub. That is awesome!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Free your mind

Thanks CleaninLI.

What you are saying makes sense. My "Doctor" was kind of shady and stood by 8mg 2x a day for everyone, no matter what. I'm a small woman. 8mg was probably way too much for me. 4mg was probably too much for me!

Anyhow, I am glad I chose to go the other route. I don't judge anyone who has been helped tremendously by subs, of course.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Allergic to blocker in suboxone

Originally Posted by BadSneakers View Post
I had a pretty fast and ugly relapse on dope recently. Decided to give in and give subs a shot. Went to a sleazy doctor in a sleazy clinic and even though I was very skeeved out by the used car salesmen atmosphere, I decided to give it a fair shot and let him prescribe me some Suboxone.

I waited approximately 38 hours since my last dose of dope, made sure I was quite sick so that I wouldn't get the dreaded precipitated withdrawals. I put the little strip under my tonue and for the first 30 minutes I was fine, then I was suddenly hit with the most awful wave of symptoms. I immediately became incredibly anxious, I was sweating like mad, I had to run to the bathroom repeatedly. It was horrible. It was like my sympathetic nervous system went crazy on me. This lasted about 2 hours then stabilized. I still felt a bit jittery, but was somewhat functional.

I tried a half dose around 7 hours later. Same exact scene played out,

Woke up at 4am dopesick, so I put a strip under my tongue and experienced the same scenario. 30 minutes of feeling fine followed by that awful, awful 2 hour sickness.

Went to my IOP counselor that morning and told her I didn't think subs were for me, she helped me get into a short inpatient detox. I'm now clean off dope & subs.

I'm just wondering how common this kind of reaction is to suboxone? Thank you.
I was also allergic to suboxone but,it like you was I started swelling in my feet and let's and they swelled so badly that they were trying to bust. They would literally bleed from my skin stretching so bad.
My doc switched me to subutex and the swelling stopped so maybe you can try the subutex or even the zubsolv that is available now which has very little blocker in it. I'm on the zubsolv twice a day and it works Great.
Hope this helps! God bless!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drs have been trained to over prescribe Suboxone. Many people do get used to the higher doses but just as many find that 2-3 mgs is as effective.

It is wonderful that you insisted on stopping. You avoided long term damage to your kappa receptors.

Sub acts on the kappas as well as the mus. While mu receptors illicit a good high when activated/upregulated, kappa receptors get down regulated by the sub. This causes problems in the emotional center of your brain when sub is stopped. Some emotional distress and anxiety may be felt....sometimes it seems very intense. One of the reasons it is so hard to stop sub is the mental anguish a person can feel. Most of the time people feel as if they will never be right.

The brain will heal from this but it takes TIME.

Patience is so hard to acquire but so needed. Good luck to you and never go back!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That sounds like exactly like what would happen to me if I took my first suboxone dose less than 24 hours after the last time I used heroin. It would throw ime into iontense, full-force withdraws 30 minutes later. I know you said you were 38 hours after your last dose of dope, but maybe the dope you got was cut with a long-acting opiate with a long half-life.

My sub doctor prescribed 8 mg strip (I actually do the tabs now because my insurance won't cover the strips)when I first started over a year ago. I couldn't stand the taste and a whole strip would make me devastatingly nauseous, so I'd rip the strip in half and take half in the morning. 90% of the time I wouldn't need the other half night dose.

It's weird though with suboxone, my doctor said less is actually more.

You are blessed to be through the detox of everything though and dependent on nothing!

Keep fighting<3
Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Going to your IOP counselor was a great move, and now you're being properly helped through detox. I'm happy for you and wish you continued strength throughout your recovery.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tammyrowe24211 View Post
I was also allergic to suboxone but,it like you was I started swelling in my feet and let's and they swelled so badly that they were trying to bust. They would literally bleed from my skin stretching so bad.
My doc switched me to subutex and the swelling stopped so maybe you can try the subutex or even the zubsolv that is available now which has very little blocker in it. I'm on the zubsolv twice a day and it works Great.
Hope this helps! God bless!
I got the feet swelling, busted capillaries and blood vessels in the feet reaction on both the suboxone strips and the generic buprenorphine tablets. It's been over a year since stopping the subs use and my feet remain discolored from what looks like subcutaneous dried blood, more than a little nasty. Good thing my wife doesn't have a foot fetish, lol.