SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/)
-   -   failed suboxone test (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/383208-failed-suboxone-test.html)

fedupasalways 01-18-2016 07:47 AM

failed suboxone test

My boyfriend detoxed off of suboxone 18 days ago. He passed the bup test 5 days into detoxing. He also passed it 5 days after that. On day 17 of no subs (supposedly) he failed. He swears up and down and even cried saying he hasn't done anything wrong. Can the test be wrong? Or am I being fooled yet again

totfit 01-18-2016 08:20 AM

The test "could" possibly be wrong, but the "crying" seems an overreaction associated with deception.

fedupasalways 01-18-2016 08:33 AM

I agree about his crying. I do know that when he was detoxing he would cry about how bad he want this, how bad he wants to be completely sober. He would insist he didn't want to rely on a pill to get him through the day. I just don't know what to believe. He was even searchin the Internet to find out why the test could come out positive. There isn't much out there. I don't see how it could be negative 5 and ten days out, but now positive. I'm not a dummy. I just don't know what to believe. A passionate person telling me it's wrong or the test results saying he's lying. I also have to understand it's a passionate addict telling me it's wrong. This is taking a toll on me. My health is now on a decline. My anxiety is through the roof. I was so proud the past 2 weeks...now it starts all over again

GS123 02-05-2016 12:44 PM

Maybe ask him to take the test again, clean at 5 days, 10 days and again now would at least add some believability.

Carlotta 02-05-2016 02:18 PM

Drug testing is generally something done by institutions, employers or parents.
Drug testing your partner and him crying in front of you for failing the test shows a serious lack of trust, respect as well as a power imbalance in the relationship.
I would never think of drug testing someone I respect and I see as an equal and these days, I would not be in a relationship with someone I don't trust and respect.
Is this the kind of relationship you want to be in?
What are you doing for you?

DarlingNikki 02-06-2016 06:26 PM

While a drug test absolutely can be wrong, especially the presumptive tests you can use at home, it is probably more likely that he slipped up and took some suboxone.
But why is he bring drug tested? If you, or someone else in his life, is asking him to take these tests then I beg you to reconsider. It would be such a clear sign of a lack of trust that it's bound to breed resentment. It's also a huge stressor added at a time when he really needs a calm and supportive environment. Finally, giving a loved ones drug tests implies that they are getting clean because you asked them to - and that never works. He is not going to succeed in his recovery until he is doing it for himself.
Also, a relapse isn't a failure. It's part of the recovery process and if it's handled right it can be an opportunity to learn more about yourself. However, for that to happen your boyfriend needs to be able to talk honestly with you about any potential relapse
Finally, there really is an actual and not insignificant chance that the test was wrong. At my old clinic they frequently got false positives for suboxone in the urine dipstick tests, but the mass spec analysis would show these to be false positives.

essjade187 09-05-2018 08:32 PM

Lol this is crazy. I was on suboxone for over 2 years and when they cut me off cold turkey it was still in my system 2 weeks later as the doctor had me on an extremely high dose.