Notices

Safely tapering off methadone

Old 04-03-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Progressive Metal Vocalist

You are doing tho. Remember that. As difficult and frightening as it is right now, in the BIG picture you are tapering and taking less of the medication than before.
Regardless of symptoms-you are succeeding.
Good job.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Night owl

I found something that's helping with my RLS /electricity under my skin. I mix one packet of Emergen-C with a teaspoon or so of Calm magnesium powder, add enough water to let it effervesce and settle, then add tonic water with quinine, about a cup or so. It tastes fairly decent, only a little of the quinine taste. And it really seems to be helping with the RLS. It brings relief and quiets the electricity.

It's got minerals, vit. C, electrolytes, etc, along with the quinine and the combo works for me. Even if it's placebo, I don't care. Just so long as I can sit still without jumping out of my skin.

Still working on the leg aches, though, which are part of Fibromyalgia. I'll keep trying. The drink does help some with that.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've found some thing that helps a little Lyoness

D
Old 04-10-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Night owl

Thanks Dee, me too. It was your suggestion thru Soberwolf that got me researching tonic water/quinine. I'm grateful my post was okay too, not considered "medical advice." I just wanted to share something that's working and may help someone else too. RLS is one of the worst w/d symptoms!
Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad it has helped Lyoness x
Old 05-04-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Night owl

Still tapering though staying at same dose for another month, with doctors approval. Needed to let my body settle down for a bit.

I am still really scared of being completely off MAT, though. Tapering came about from circumstance more than anything. I'm afraid of going back to living in constant, chronic, disabling pain. Afraid of worsening anxiety and insomnia. Afraid of worse depression. I have so many fears...

I just had a week of severe pain that almost sent me to the ER so that didn't help.

I just wonder if I can make it or will I get hooked on something else????
Old 05-19-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Night owl

I'm still on my taper, doc had me stay on same dose for another month to stabilize for awhile. Was getting withdrawals from such big jumps percentage wise. Am now at 20mg and don't know at what pace to go from here. Everything I read says go slower from here on out. (I've been reading a lot.) My jumps have been by 5mg each time. Any advice about pace would be welcome.

I've been noticing some changes since tapering, especially as my dose lowers. A surprising and positive one is my pupils. They're normal size now, or at least a lot bigger. I got so used to pinpoint while I was using so intensely that I think I forgot til now that they could actually be any other size.

A not so positive change is that my dose does not seem to last as long. By 24hrs the RLS is kicking in. I've wanted to try to skip a day or a dose but the creepy crawlies start up and that's that. Is it just the lower dose I'm on? I don't remember this happening at higher doses (40 or 50 mgs). Anyway, it's a bit of a bummer. And reminder of how awful the withdrawals are going to be. Everything I've read says even jumping off from 1mg you still go through some pretty harsh w/ds.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you Lyoness

D