Notices

Suboxone Detox help

Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone Detox help

Hello all, I am an addict and just recently decided that I did not like the path I had chosen for myself. I have struggled with opiate abuse for 5 years, the most recent being 1.5 years of suboxone maintenance. I was never on too high of a dose, never any more than 4 Mgs. I weened down to 2 mg about 6 months ago and then down to 1 mg for about a month. But yesterday was my final dose, and I'm just looking for advice or tips to help get through the next couple of weeks. I plan on attending NA meetings once I get my head on straight, but anything you guys know that might benefit my situation, please let me know. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hang in there! You CAN do this, I'm also detoxing from subs. I'm three days in from basically a 24mgs a day year long habit that was preceded by almost a decade of I/V heroin use. I also used on top of the sub. You have made a good choice! Now stay the course and remember, you are NOT alone. You can push through. Na meetings are helping immensely with the mental aspect. I recommend you give that a go bc it just might be what gets you through the worst of times. Good luck on your journey to sobriety!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support lettingo2015, 24 Mgs daily seems like a large dose. Please let me know how you are throughout your detox process. I am a newb when it comes to suboxone withdrawal so knowing what to expect will help immensely. STAY STRONG!!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heelhathnofury - welcome man. I don't have personal experience to share, but wanted to drop by to with you well. You are not alone. There are a ton of folks that have kicked subs and seen the light from the other side. Good luck with your kick.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind words opiophobe.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm well into my third day and I know it gets worse before it gets better. You just have to want it. I'd even recommended you put a plan into place for your recovery. It helps to have to get out of the house to hit meetings. I just got a sponser too so all the support you can get will help. I've posted a thread regarding my detox to have the support of this wonderful community. You have our support all the way. Just remember what your feeling is not forever.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck Hellhathnofurry! Is there a reason you didn't taper down further? No problem...just wondered why you chose to cold turkey off 1 mg? Since I've heard it's a much better detox experience the least amount you jump from. 1 mg seems like a lot. I have noticed that there are not too many WD symptoms tapering above 1 mg but once we reach that we really need to take it slow and come down to a very very tiny amount. That is if we don't want to suffer WD symptoms.
Anyway...good luck! Hope you get off easy!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CleaninLI, trust me I wish I could have tapered further, my supply got unexpectedly cut off.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 2 of no sub, I'm feeling well all things considered. I did some research on the Thomas recipe and have most of the ingredients listed. I only slept a couple of hours last night due to unrelated stomach cramps and the anxiety of this entire situation. I'm remaining hopeful though. I've read so many successful detox stories and they've got me very excited about how life will be on the other side. I can't wait to enjoy music again, and getting enjoyment from things in general! The past few years of my life the only thing I got excited about was using. How are you doing lettinggo?
Old 02-22-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you holding up?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 4, and I feel like I'm just now starting to experience withdrawal symptoms. I was feeling great yesterday and I made the mistake of thinking, "wow, maybe this isn't going to be as bad as I imagined." That was a mistake, today I started feeling aches, and cold sweats, and heavy depression, due to the fact that I thought I was getting off easy yesterday and was so happy about it. Now, once again I'm terrified of what's to come. Thank you for checking in, Opiophobe.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hell - even with short-term sub use I found the same thing to happen. The first detox with the help of subs I thought I found a miracle when I wasn't sick on day 3. It wasn't until day 4 when it started setting in. Hang in there bud. I'm about a week behind you.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hellhathnofury View Post
Day 2 of no sub, I'm feeling well all things considered. I did some research on the Thomas recipe and have most of the ingredients listed. I only slept a couple of hours last night due to unrelated stomach cramps and the anxiety of this entire situation. I'm remaining hopeful though. I've read so many successful detox stories and they've got me very excited about how life will be on the other side. I can't wait to enjoy music again, and getting enjoyment from things in general! The past few years of my life the only thing I got excited about was using. How are you doing lettinggo?
Hey hellhathnofury, I am just about though day six and it is really bad. No sleep at all the past three days with the pleasure of know with an almost 100% certainty that I have a few days ahead with some more sleeplessness. Lol. I am feeling completely drained and its very intense just about 24 hours a day now. All things considered though, I'm still making a meeting everyday. Even if I'm annoying ppl with my constant faucet and sneezes and leg flopping. Not really, I think they are happy to have me there. It really does help a little to get out of the house a bit. At least i can try to focus on something other than how crappy I feel

You got this! Keep updating and try to distract yourself bc we all know how bad we can make our detox by focusing on how crappy we feel. Get out and go for a walk, hit some meetings if you can. Anything to take your mind off it. Even if it's only for a second. Remember even though it feels like forever, its not. I have to tell myself that just about every minute of every day right now . Be strong, you are NOT alone!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hellhathnofury View Post
Hey hellhathnofury, I am just about though day six and it is really bad. No sleep at all the past three days with the pleasure of know with an almost 100% certainty that I have a few days ahead with some more sleeplessness. Lol. I am feeling completely drained and its very intense just about 24 hours a day now. All things considered though, I'm still making a meeting everyday. Even if I'm annoying ppl with my constant faucet and sneezes and leg flopping. Not really, I think they are happy to have me there. It really does help a little to get out of the house a bit. At least i can try to focus on something other than how crappy I feel

You got this! Keep updating and try to distract yourself bc we all know how bad we can make our detox by focusing on how crappy we feel. Get out and go for a walk, hit some meetings if you can. Anything to take your mind off it. Even if it's only for a second. Remember even though it feels like forever, its not. I have to tell myself that just about every minute of every day right now . Be strong, you are NOT alone!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 5, insomnia was quite bad last night. I actually did end up falling asleep at 8 a.m. And slept until 1. Woke up this afternoon feeling fine. This suboxone detox is a roller coaster ride! Day 7 for you, right letting go? I've read that today is usually the worst day for withdrawal symptoms, but after that it's all downhill from there. I do hope that's true for you.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Guys - congrats to both of you for making it another 24. Keep on keepin' on. If you start to feel down you might go back to a thread on here titled "Off methadone 30 days", which was started by Ididit. There were a couple other guys (marvin59 and Blacklok) that also joined the thread with their stories. It helps me to read it sometimes when times are rough.

Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-30-days.html
Old 02-23-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey all - figured I would hop on over to the sub forum from the substance abuse one. I recently hopped off a 1.5yr sub habit and thought I would share some wisdom. The wd from subs is much more mild physically than coming from opiates, but it lasts a good deal longer and for me - the mental was harder. I was using fairly heavily for about 4 years before I found subs and when I started them - everything was great. After about a year and a half I realized I wasnt actually sober and I went to get off them. Wound up just using kolonopin instead to help me get off subs and wound up relapsing back to opiates. After three months of that - i quit opiates cold turkey and have been clean 57 days today. No alcohol or anything.

The best thing for the sub wd because the physical was so mild - was exercise. I wasnt able to will myself to hit the gym, so I took 30-45m walks. The walks helped me get to sleep at night which was almost impossible while wding from subs. Exercise and multivitamins - try to drink a bunch of Ensure if you cant eat.

It can be done and youll get better everyday. I wish you both a ton of luck and know itll be fine. After a couple
Of weeks youll be thinking back and wondering if it was even so bad after all
Old 02-24-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 6, I'm feeling great! Much more energy than yesterday. Insomnia was bad last night but I took a sleep aid around 2 and was out like a light by 3! Feeling hopeful!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great news. Hellhathnofury - what sleep aid did you use by the way?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Zyprexa. It was quite sedating.