Notices

Suboxen taper questions

Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Suboxen taper questions

Hello. I am new to the board as of right now. I have been on percocet for two years due to a back injury. I was not an addict before i started taking percs. I actually have taken them for a shoulder surgery for a month and had a whole bottle sitting in my cabinet for two years untouched. But my back injury became a chronic pain that led me to taking it for a few months. Because of stress and other things going on i noticed it helped with that too and of course i started abusing it taking more and more to get those same all is well feelings (high). i was precribed 5 10mg a day but took more like 15 a day. I have done this for about a year now. The last few months i would go through a 150 bottle in about 7-10 days.

I recently got on Suboxen from the Dr who gave me percs so my perc supply is gone. She started me on two 8mg subutex a day. I did that for two weeks, actually the last week i was taking one a day. Then i was to see her again but i had to reschedule which left me without subs for about 5 days. In that 5 days i felt like crap, no energy and no motivation. So after about 24 hours without subs I did about 300mgs of hydrocodone over a span of 3 days. Then i had my appointment and got a month supply at 2 8mg suboxone a day. That was last monday. I have been taking it like this for the last week.

One 8mg pill per day split up into quarters. I take a quarter at 7am. A quarter at 12:30, another at about 5pm and another at 9pm. Sometimes I take a 1/4 in the morning then I do a half at lunch and then a 1/4 at 6pm and done.

But over the weekend I seem to take more. Like about 12mg a day. I feel that one 8mg at once is too much for me is why i do it this way. I even nod sometimes with the quarter. If i stay active i'm ok, but i have a sit desk job so I nod easily on higher doses. For some reason i feel the need to take it every so many hours as opposed to all at once every 12 hours.

I am taking less than what's perscribed overall, but I am not taking every 12 hours like i should.

So i have been on this for about 3 1/2 weeks with a 5 day break and a relapse. I want to taper off of this as quickly as possible but still fell ok like i do while on it. It does help me stay away from opiates, and even drinking. But i don't want to be on this long enough to have terrible withdrawals. if i knew i could stop right now and be ok i would.

So with all that info, what would be the best way to taper off? how long do i really need to use this? As long as i don't feel like complete crap and depressed i won't relapse. It's not a high i chase anymore as i can't get high off opiates anymore anyways. it's just a clear mind with no depression and motivation that i crave.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So far it seems like you are doing okay and not abusing it, try telling your doctor how you have been taking it and why you feel it works better for you...if she is a good doctor she will make a plan for you to wing off it or at least take it the way your body seems to need it...in pieces rather than all at once. I am on methadone, lower dose, just to keep me balanced...I had to try it so many different ways, all at once, splitting it 3 times daily, 4 times... Right now I am splitting my dose 3 times daily. You just need to find what works for you and try working with your doctor telling her when you feel like you need it most through out the day. Then and only then, once you are comfortable through out the day, you can think about when you can stop with this medication or how long you need to be on it. I thought and made my own plan of only being on methadone for 6 months....my body did not feel the same way my mind did. Hope his helps.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

what would happen if i just quit now. since i've switched from subutex to suboxone i am a zombie and have no energy and severaly depressed and agitated. i hate it.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Night owl

I agree that you should talk with your doctor and tell her what is happening. If it's not working for you then she can help you either find a better dosing schedule, for instance suboxone comes in 2mg doses. Or just taper off it but in a safe way that will minimize withdrawals. She could also rx meds to help with withdrawals. Take care.