SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/)
-   -   Day one: starting suboxone (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/287259-day-one-starting-suboxone.html)

BC326 03-12-2013 01:48 PM

Day one: starting suboxone

So I woke up today after barely sleeping all night from the withdrawals and took my first half a suboxone. I couldn't believe how quickly it worked. I feel great, like how I used to before I started percocets. I know that even with this helping the physical side effects I still need to work on my mental addiction as well. My husband and I are going to an NA meeting tonight for young adults. Not sure how it will be, I've always thought AA and twelve steps is too extreme or for people way worse off, but I think at least it will be good to listen to other people and maybe pick up some good tips on staying off the drugs. My husband is really motivated now that he sees how well the suboxone works, I am too but I'm a little nervous about being addicted to those, or to just getting too confident that all the sudden I'm "cured" just because I don't have the physical withdrawals right now. Any stories about your own use of subs and if they worked or what else you did to help stay sober would be appreciated!!

lostnneedhelp 03-12-2013 10:33 PM

Hi! Glad to hear you are tired of using and sought treatment. I just got out of a 10 day detox program where subs were used to taper me off. Unfortunately I was addicted to way worse stuff. (heroin) Regardless, opiates are opiates, and the good news is you actually dont need to be on suboxone forever. Even as heavy as my drug was, I was able to use subs and be completely off of them in 9 days. If you take the initial dose for 3 days, then 1/2 the next 3, and 1/4 the next 3, you will be completely freed of all drugs, including the subs. This is my day 1 off the suboxone and I feel great and back to normal. Keep up the good work, oh and AA or NA, both are great if you plan to stay sober. You dont have to be a hardcore user to attend or get what you need out of these groups. Oh and please remember, dont just try one meeting, there are many out there and to be honest with my own experience, there will be some you dont like, however there will be atleast one you do find that does benefit you. Remember each group you go to will be different, there is a perfect fit out there for everyone, you just need to find the right one. Trial and error, dont get frustrated!

Lyoness 03-13-2013 01:41 PM

Hi, congratulations for getting on the suboxone. I think for some of us it's absolutely the only way we can move toward getting free of the opiates. And you are definitely right that you really need to work on your recovery in other ways, too. The subs doc here won't even consider taking anyone into the program unless they begin counseling for addiction first.

I'm glad your switchover went so well, too. I think I must be unusual because my switchover was a fairly rough ride. I was on a huge amount of oxy, though, and an IV user, too, so that is probably why.

I'm still in my longterm taper. For me, I am having mixed results but I have a lot of health and pain issues so that complicates my picture. Nonetheless, there is NO way I'd be where I am now without being on the subs. I am very grateful because they got me off the oxy and I know my tolerance is much lower now, too, both very, very good things.

Stick around and tell us more about your story and how the subs goes for you, too. I think it's great when we can get as many stories about maintenance therapy as we can plus the support here is priceless.

Take care.

BC326 03-13-2013 01:52 PM

Thank you so much for the support lyoness! Day two today I woke up feeling terrible but the half sub I took almost immediately made me feel better, I've had more energy than I have in a long time. Normally I was doing at least one 30 mg perc to even wake up on the morning, and usually more to start to feel good. I'm feeling a lot healthier at least not from smoking or snorting any pills obviously but still worried about the possibility of getting stuck on the suboxones. I heard it takes three to four days for the opiates to get out of your system, so I was hoping to stop the subs after day four. I'm just so terrified of withdrawing so I hope it won't happen! Once you stopped taking oxy and started subs, did you ever relapse or was it easy to stay off? Since I wasn't really even getting high from the Percs anymore I was only using to stave off withdrawing, but I still worry that in the future ill have the urge to pick it back up again, especially since I know my tolerance will have lowered. Will have to try some meetings or counseling to get support and make sure that wont happen!

Lyoness 03-13-2013 04:12 PM

You're welcome! I understand about needing the oxy just to get going. I was snorting 60-80mgs at a go just to feel "normal" or like I could cope. Or shooting up at night. So I know, for me, I have a long road ahead. I used for a long time, and for the last couple of years I used a lot in very intense ways.

I'm on a longer term taper than it sounds like you are on. My doctor does a 6 month protocol. First stabilize then begin the taper. Right now I'm a little more than at halfway mark. I wish I could say I haven't had any slips, but I have, most at the very beginning. I do have some chronic pain/disability issues and I feel those are what have brought on recent craving/slip issues. I am actively working to try to find solutions so I don't get stuck back into active addiction.

I think it is very important to do the other work of recovery, too, so that the cravings don't come back, or if they do that you will have other resources in dealing with them. Being here at SR is great, my first couple months were a rough ride and I posted and read here a lot when I had cravings. I don't have fulltime computer access so I find I've mostly slipped when I can't come here for support. That's why I am really glad to be back here!

Are you doing subs with a doctor or program? Have you discussed your concerns with them? They should definitely be there to help you with these issues and concerns. Also going to NA or getting into an outpatient program is vital. We really do need support, especially in learning how to live life without without our drugs. I know I"ve relied on them for SO long that I sort of lost track of all other coping mechanisms. So I am doing outpatient counseling and have been honest with my counselor about my slips.

BC326 03-13-2013 04:27 PM

I wish you all the luck in the world, I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be to do this if I actually had chronic pain issues. I had some back problems but yoga and stretching basically fixed it, I had just been telling the doctor it wasn't to get more pills :/ I looked into outpatient programs but the time commitment was just too much, I want to stay in my masters program because its helping me stay motivated. I am starting individual therapy with a counselor next week and also going to try NA since its free. I've only been using about a year but I still know I need I break the the bad habits so I want to give the therapy a shot. I guess the inpatient and outpatient programs I looked into just sounded way too extreme or too expensive! Thank you again for your advice!

Lyoness 03-13-2013 05:19 PM

That's great that you're going to do counselling and check out NA too. Also that you are quitting now, after a year, rather than letting the problem build up even worse! If I'd have known what I was getting myself into....but part of my problem was not realizing I was an addict even before I started pain meds. I had been a binge drinker in college then got addicted to pot, but I always thought the substance was the problem, not me. Now I know better.

I have tried yoga a few times but each time, though the teacher assured me it was gentle, they tortured me! ;) So until I find someone who is truly gentle I've stayed away. I'm glad it really helped you out! I understand about overemphasizing the pain to doctor, too. I know I did that, too, which is part of why my tolerance kept getting higher and higher.

anad 03-16-2013 02:38 PM

hey, im so glad i read your msg. U have helped me as im due 2 take my first suboxone soon i estimate pos in the next 6 hours im scared tho that i wil take it 2 soon as i have heard some scary stories about precipipated w/d, can anyone help me on this?