Notices

Suboxone Program Question

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone Program Question

So, I've been using opiates for the past 5 years and addicted (mainly perks, and vics) for about a year now. I was recently sent to a drug treatment program, and I'm trying to get clean. The problems, are the w/d's, the fact that I think about getting high obsessively, and that I use to help me cope with my emotional problems (bipolar).
Anyhow, I've got an appointment for this Monday to see a doctor (I think, maybe counselor?) about getting on the Suboxone program. What I want to know, is how hard is it to be accepted into the program? I can't stand feeling like this, and even if I get passed the w/d's, I know that without some kind of medicinal help I'll end up right back where I'm at. To be honest, I'm scared. I want to get clean, but I just can't seem to be able to do it by myself. Seriously feel like I'm losing my mind right now, so any help/info will be much appreciated.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just saw your post....Did you start Suboxone treatment? I've been on suboxone for almost a year. I started out on a pretty high dose, so it's taking a while to taper off. For me, there was nothing to do to be "accepted into the program". I decided I wanted help getting off opiates (after 6 years of being addicted), called a Dr. that prescribes it, paid $300 for my first appointment, and so it began. The actual decision to make the appt was the really hard part.

I think suboxone is a wonderful drug. It enabled me to get off opiates, while still maintaining my job and responsibilities to my family. That in itself was a miracle to me. I was taking a lot of opiates, just to feel "normal". It was impossible for me to function w/out them. I started suboxone on a Saturday, and felt well enough to go to work on Monday. That was amazing to me!

I could go on, but I have to get ready for work. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer. Not that I'm an expert on the subject...I just want to offer you my support and wish you the best.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did actually start the Suboxone yesterday. So far so good, but I'm pretty sure my dose is a little high, so when I go back on the 13th I'll talk to the doctor about that. While I can function without opiates, I can't seem to leave them alone for very long at all. An added bonus of the suboxone is that it's helping me not want other stuff either. I live in a house of addicts, and there is ALWAYS some kind of alcohol or drug around, and it felt amazing to be able to turn those down too. Thanks for the support =)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello. I developed quite a perc and vic addiction as well. Tried to quit c/t, but was unable to handle the withdrawals. Got into the suboxone program and stayed on that for a year or so. I was dosing 2mgs a day the last 6 months and was fine. Then went on a taper to quit the suboxones. Did a little juggling, and have been clean for a couple months now. Worked for me. Best to you
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Arrow

subs..r great!! U got to want it though, cause with subs, u can choose to take them or not. I knew people who sold there subs., for drugs. I was on subs and I had NO cravings and great energy. They work so fast, so u will feel better real quick. U still need a program to help u stay clean. Those opiates are sooo hard, but best of luck to u!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm definitely taking them. There is no way I'm gonna sell my subs for drugs, especially because I get a UA every time I see the doc for my refill. I totally want to kick all of it, but I slipped up yesterday and smoked some pot. It's super hard getting clean while living with a bunch of addicts. I did great with not drinking though. Ollie congrats on your sobriety! And thanks for all the support guys
Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Night owl

I've been on subs for about 4 months now. I was deeply addicted to oxy and dilaudid, I definitely needed them to function at all. I had to start counseling before the local subs doc would even agree to treat me and it took about three months to get into the program which was very frustrating. He's the only guy in town, though, so I that was my only choice.

I think subs is a great help though I've dealt with deep depression, anxiety, suicidal feelings, a return of disability issues, pain and intense cravings at times. That said, it IS a miracle drug in that I couldn't face going cold turkey and it was impossible for me to taper.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to get off the opiates but can't by themselves. I would encourage people to really research it first, just to get a more realistic picture of it. I think my hopes for it were a little too high but still I am glad that I got on it.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I was already in drug treatment before I went to start on the subs, so that wasn't really an issue for me. There are also a bunch of doctors in my area that can prescribe them. It was actually really easy.. he asked me about my drug usage, if I was having an w/d symptoms, and how much I was using, and he wrote me the script. I have to go back once a week until I'm clean of everything but subs, then it's bi-weekly, then monthly. They're definitely helping me a LOT.. I haven't had the urge to use pills since I started, so that's a very good thing. I'm glad they're helping you. Good luck with your recovery =)
Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ollie909 View Post
Hello. I developed quite a perc and vic addiction as well. Tried to quit c/t, but was unable to handle the withdrawals. Got into the suboxone program and stayed on that for a year or so. I was dosing 2mgs a day the last 6 months and was fine. Then went on a taper to quit the suboxones. Did a little juggling, and have been clean for a couple months now. Worked for me. Best to you
I am on day 2 of 8mg subs 3 times a day. I feel great and my Dr. Says we will do that for a month and then start to taper and that it will take about a year.

My biggest concern is the withdrawls from the subs. Did you have any withdrawals.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Red face

I was on subs...lost my ins. and stopped in one day...no problem, but I was only on for some months. I believe that if you taper you should be perfectly fine! Then I was on them again,(not my script) and felt like crap, when I stopped(cold turkey). I REALLY believe YOU WILL be good!!! Not sure why you need to stop the subs. in a year. They really help to keep the w/d's away and for me the obessining went away also. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My plan is to be on subs until I can trick my brain into thinking it doesn't need the opiates but at this point I feel great and if I had to be on this forever that might be ok to because it sure beats eating a handful of blue pills that will kill me!!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by ADDICTEDTOANADD View Post
I was on subs...lost my ins. and stopped in one day...no problem, but I was only on for some months. I believe that if you taper you should be perfectly fine! Then I was on them again,(not my script) and felt like crap, when I stopped(cold turkey). I REALLY believe YOU WILL be good!!! Not sure why you need to stop the subs. in a year. They really help to keep the w/d's away and for me the obessining went away also. GOOD LUCK!!!!
A lot of docs/clinics are focused on getting people OFF the subs fairly quickly. I know some do longer term, for years or even for life. My subs doc only does a six month program! I would rather do a year long so I could be stable for longer, but oh well!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My Dr started me on 3 8mg a day. Does that seem to be a high dosage? I've read a lot of different forums and worried that it's to much. I'm really scared of taking to much and it being hard to get to a minimal amount to be completely free one day.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your Dr. should now what he/she is doing. I have not heard of anyone taking more than 2 a day, but I do NOT know your situation. Your Dr. nows how to taper u down. I remember when my Dr. was PX. them to me he was specially trained to PX. subs. RELAX U should b OK......
Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Night owl

I wound up taking the highest dose, 32mg, to get stabilized. My doctor prefers not to do that high of a dose if possible but I was using a lot of oxy so it was appropriate. My doc only does a six month program and he feels confident that I can get off completely. If you trust your doctor and feel comfortable with her/him then I'd just go ahead and take the dose that works for you.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks! Keep us posted!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How long did it take you to get stabilized. Sorry for all the questions.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Night owl

I think it took me a few weeks to start feeling stable. Like I said, my doc didn't want to do the highest dose so I had to convince him that I really needed it. But everyone is different and I was on a pretty high dose of oxy as well as injecting and snorting so I think that played a big role in me needing a higher dose and taking a little longer to stabilize. I also have a lot of physical pain issues and depression which I believe played a big role, too.

I think it's great your doc does a year long taper. That would be my preference but my doc is the only subs doc available so I have to go with that.

How are you doing now? Are you feeling like you're getting stabilized? I don't mind questions, btw, that's what this forum is for! So we can all learn and help each other.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smile

I'm feeling great! My Dr. Said that I would be on 3 a day for a month and then slowing taper. I have been on them for almost a week. I like my Dr. But I went to a in house program back in August and had a bad experience. They were doing a taper off the Oxy and it wasn't done right. I relapsed after only a couple weeks and I ended up doing way more then ever for the last couple months. I found a Dr that could prescribe the subs, but I had to be 36hrs clean when I went in and was pretty damn sick when I went in. When I called I was told some people have decided to stay on for 4 years and the Dr is ok with that. I almost feel like i'm cheating and not truly clean because i'm taking the subs, but I would rather take these and be ok versus a bunch of Oxy because for me there's never a limit of how many I would do a day. How are you doing now?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Night owl

That's great you found a doctor you like and feel comfortable with. And who knows what they're doing. I think there are too many out there who don't really know how to rx subs properly and that is a shame when so many of us are in need. Sorry you had to go through that! I think relapse would be almost the only possibility when the subs isn't done thoughtfully and knowledgeably.

My doc is pretty strict about the six month taper program. I've definitely had some challenges in working with him. He's really stuck on his protocol and doesn't think outside the box enough for me. I LIVE outside the box and it's hard to match up my needs with his prescribing protocol. Nonetheless, he's the only gig in town so I'm doing my best.

I guess your new doctor really wanted to make sure you didn't go into precipitated withdrawals and that's why s/he made you wait so long. I only had to wait about 12 hours and I really feel for you having had to wait three times that long! My switchover was slow and intense. I went into the clinic at 8:30 a.m. three days in a row--not easy for this night owl--and stayed all day the first two days.

The subs really knocked me out and I slept a lot on the exam table, not too comfortable but I didn't care. The first day I was alternately hot/freezing all the time and pouring sweat. It turned out that the heating system was malfunctioning, too, so it kept alternating between the air conditioner and heater, lol. It made me feel better to know it wasn't all me.

Those first three days I just went home, built a fire and crawled in bed. Don't know why my ride was so rough, I've heard others say it was quite easy. Maybe because I was injecting, I don't know. Maybe it was just me. In a way it's probably a good thing--a reminder to help keep me from relapsing.

I'm kind of torn on the am I clean on suboxone or not issue, too. I think I have a different standard for myself than others, too. I would consider someone else on subs clean but I'm not sure for me. I think it's because I've been using benadryl for sleep, and I can "feel" the benadryl so I don't know what to think. I do agree 100%, tho, that it is way, way better to be on subs than actively using. So in that way, yes, I do feel clean.

I'm doing okay overall. I'm on 12mg now in my taper. I have had several slips. A few at the beginning and some recently. The recent ones are mostly due to untreated physical pain issues. I've got to get this sorted out or risk a full relapse, even my add. counselor thinks so. But overall I am deeply grateful for the subs, it has been a lifesaver. Without it I can't imagine how much oxy I'd be using now. Or I'd probably have graduated to heroin tho I don't know where to get any.