Notices

Stopping suboxone as of today-what can I expect?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopping suboxone as of today-what can I expect?

I was on a really high dose of suboxone that made me violently ill...so i went back & forth with taking it, not taking it & then finally i was like maybe if i cut the strips in quarters..long story short taking 2 mg was fine my body tolerated it well..cutting to the chase I'd say the last two weeks I've been taking 2mg strip once in the morning..I have no more as of this morning and really don't want anymore I want to be done...once & for all...what can i expect? When I got off the opiates I went through severe depression, pretty much why i started with the subs, because it took away the depression..my mood has pretty much been stable, but I am pretty terrified of what the next few days will bring, what do you guys think? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you so much
Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

I was taking between 3-5mg a day for several years....I had tried to quit at 3mg a day....it was possible....but by the 3rd day I gave up only because my boss put a piece in front of me, but I could have pushed through it otherwise, but I was admittedly in a weak place. After that my source was out for a few days, and I randomly and by chance had come across a source of Methadone (I don't recommend switching meds like this - it was a personal choice), so I took 5mg of Methadone every day for 18 days, then it was out and I managed to get a single strip, I split it into 8ths and took 1mg each day for 8 days and was done. I did go through withdrawals still, it wasn't fun, I ached and felt like I had the flu, then I actually did get the flu after the 1st week and so it seemed to draw out longer. I couldn't sleep the first several days, I was weak and lethargic and depressed feeling. But I was glued on here also so it helped to give me a reason to get through it all. You're going to go through it now or eventually, better off getting it done now. Just plan for a few sleepless, flu-like nights and you can beat this in a week or so. You will have a few weeks of being down and depressed feeling most likely. Just keep a positive view of what you're doing for yourself and how you won't be dependent on a drug anymore to get through your day. You may find yourself trying to justify finding more to take the edge off, but you would only be prolonging the inevitable. This is totally beatable if you stay focused on your goal. Eat healthy and take vitamins, start some light workouts to get your heart and blood pumping, you will start feeling a huge difference. In just a few days you can turn your whole life around if you really want it. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for responding...I slept last nig but not well went back and forth with sweating and chills, but for whatever reason mentally i was stable. That was the scary part for me, I was scared I was going to be depressed the same way I was when I stopped the opiates...anyway went to the doc today he gave me some 2 mg strips that I've been cutting in quarters, so I'm gonna take it day by day..as long as mentally I'm stable I'll manGe the physical part...so hopefully I can just get off it, I don't want this to be drawn out process...so hopefully tapering down to so little the physical effects won't be as bad, I do realize there will be some discomfort no matter what but hopefully the lower the dose I'm on, the less the physical will be..wishful thinking anyway, but I'm trying & I have the will so hopefully I will get through this & move on with my life
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can totally do it. I've heard and practiced tapering by the week. So each week dropping a little more. The way I see it, once you're down to less than 1mg, it's time to jump. If you think about it, you're hardly using anything at that point....a tiny crumb compared to 130-150-160lbs....it's nothing. And realistically, the chemicals are just not abundant enough to support all the opiate receptors throughout your body...but it's enough to get in your head that you are ok because you took something. It's mostly mental at that point. There will still be withdrawals...even if you make it down to .5mg or .25mg....you are still going to experience symptoms, it's the body's reaction to the cessation of a chemical it has experienced for months or years and is suddenly gone. It's up to each person to decide how far they need to take it before jumping, but 1mg is time IMO. If you are going to experience the symptoms regardless, I think it's easier to get it started sooner and be done with it, rather than dragging it out for a few more "safety days"...but to each their own. You sound very close to being done, and I hope you are. You may experience depression and anxiety, but it's just not something that you can avoid most the time.....remember that your body has to start producing Seratonin again after you're done using opiates....they disable the body's normal system of creating those "feel good" chemicals, because the opiates take care of that....so we feel down and depressed and freak out....people don't want to give their body the time it needs to heal....they just want an immediate fix...but think of how long we've been damaging them, it takes time to undo all that. Stay strong and make a serious plan for yourself to stick to. Take care.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much..I made the jump off 2mg & just had physical symptoms like shaking chills etc..but mentally was alright. I went to the doctor who didn't think I should just jump off, he gave me 2mg strips that I've been cutting in half or quarters. At this point your absolutely right it is totally mental, I won't take the sub and my mind will start to wonder if I'll be ok not taking anything, then I freak out thimphu something bad is going to happen, that im gonna get depressed because I didn't take anything. It's absolutely just about breaking the habit of having to take something, I could probably not take the sub anymore and be fine(aside from whatever mild withdrawals) but the other day I made it through an entire 24 hour period sub free, and mentally I was in a good place but I was shaking and shivering all night and all day, honestly it was uncomfortable but I was so happy that mentally I didn't feel like jumping off a bridge that i didn't mind, I saws the doctor and he kind of made it soud like if I jump off from an even smaller dose, the withdrawal will be even more mild..which sounded good because I was at work shaking and shivering, so I know it can be done I can jump, I just need to break that habit & I find that to be more challenging than anything else
Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I posted something...and it disappeared....this silly site. Anyway, breaking the habit is not easy, but that is a huge part of it. It's difficult telling yourself "I can't wait to not use today" when your brain is actually saying "I can't wait to use today.".....it's hard to get in that mindset of being focused on not using vs. using. Especially when it's part of your routine....a dose when you wake up, sometimes a re-dose, some people use extra for anxiety or pain or irritability.....breaking away from that pattern takes work. I personally never understood/understand why doctors try to keep people on drugs that they are voluntarily choosing to end their use of...like "No, we don't want you to not be addicted...", but again, everyone is different in their recovery and what it takes to get to the end. I just keep seeing stories about people detoxing from Suboxone and their doctor is trying to give them more, or giving them Oxy to help with the withdrawals!?? Hello! Talk about counter-production. But you seem to be doing well, just keep up the work. I would say if you are able to make it ok through 24 hours, you're probably in a good place to be lowering dosage, that you can even make it that long without grabbing more is a good, strong thing. Of course, it's far easier to quit using when you don't have a doctor pushing more on you and urging you to continue use, so I had a benefit there I suppose. But I think as long as you make a plan to keep tapering down and getting off, you will be there soon. One thing I noticed a lot of people forget is that if you already have your doses.....what's the worst that can happen if you choose NOT to take your dose that day?? Like you did for 24 hours? You won't die, you won't stop breathing, you won't burst into flames.....you will experience some symptoms, and you will find your breaking point....and then you can take your dose, or enough to ease the symptoms.....it doesn't take long to be absorbed and comfortable again. Doing that helps to lengthen the amount of time in between doses, and helps to wean the dosage amount down too, IMO. Maybe it's just how I see it though. Either way, you're doing good, keep it up!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your exactly Right, you know what it is? It's not making the jump off of them, I've proved it to myself I did it, I know I can handle that. It was when I was in my car and I had them on me & I remember thinking, what's gonna happen if I don't take them? And I ended up taking one because I didn't want something bad to happen..even though there was a side of me saying "nothing is going to happen to you" the other side was anxious and worried and scared to break the routine, because that's what it is, it's a habit & my mind was scared to make that jump..I go throughout most of my day not even thinking about it, I'm going to see how long I can go without dosing, maybe my day will just go normal I'll forget, I just need to ease my mind into transition and retrain it out of this habit, it can be done..it's something I am willing to work on everyday until it happens, I hope
Old 04-30-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@Kiddoo Just seeing how you're holding up. How is the dosing plan working out for you?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey thanks for checking in- I've been taking 1 mg in the morning about 7 am, last few days I'd find by about 7 pm I was starting to feel bad and I knew if I took more I'd feel better, but I didn't. Last night was the first night I kind of felt ok by 7pm...I'm hoping that the next couplle days I can cut it to .5mg in the morning. I know I can do without it, but I'm scared, I'm scared of the day I wake up and say ok that's it, your done. I've been "high" for so long I'm scared to feel "normal" this is something I want - but its been so long that I've felt normal I'm scared of what it's actually going to feel like! I'm sure you know what I mean. Just going to have to get my mind right & prepared & I know I can do it & I know it'll be better
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds great. You're almost there! Don't be afraid of it, be afraid of the past that you've been living, look forward to the life you WILL be living soon! Great to see you dropping your dose so low, congrats and keep it up!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

never scared.....

hi kiddo0 been there done that your lucky for doing it right i didnt and went threw the worst hell possible kidneys shutting down and bearly a pulse.....should be a cake wake for you....but its never easy tho. you will do it just like i squated 650lbs for 10 deep reps,i use my bodybuilding experiance to be strong minded,when i put that weight on my shoulders i made my self do it even tho i thought i couldnt ,the point is its possible,hope your doing better! i cold turkeyed 3 tabs on the 23rd and done with it all now so u can do it ok take care
Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Kiddoo.... ...bodybuildermiky ...

Welcome to both of you....I hope you will continue to make progress..
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks

thanks carolD ! 10 DAYS CLEAN but im still getting fatiuged during the day and ending up face down on my bed lol ! blahhhh weres my energy im a hyper person cant wait to be normal again woooooo a long road therw hell but getting threw it! HOPE THE BEST TO EVERYONE STAY STRONG !!!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey guys- still taking 1 mg a day, really I'm scared of stopping. Honestly because I've been taking 1 mg for so long I really don't feel the effects anymore, I'm scared of feeling bad and honestly I'm scared of living my life not "on" anything. If I cut down to .5 do youthink I'll be able to just jump off of that dose with out withdrawals ?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kiddoo View Post
Hey guys- still taking 1 mg a day, really I'm scared of stopping. Honestly because I've been taking 1 mg for so long I really don't feel the effects anymore, I'm scared of feeling bad and honestly I'm scared of living my life not "on" anything. If I cut down to .5 do youthink I'll be able to just jump off of that dose with out withdrawals ?
There's no way of telling even if you're down to .05mg and jumping will leave you without any withdrawals.....it's just time to do it. If you're not even experiencing effects with the dose you're on then it makes sense to drop again or jump IMO. Again, like I've said before....look at what you're using though.....1mg...really look at that tiny little crumb or square and look at the size of your body.....how much do you really think it's doing in your body? It's barely anything. At 1mg I did experience symptoms....but the worst was only a few days, and I believe it to be because of the method I chose to detox with, not the dose. Had I tapered down to 1mg from the start and not flip-flopped drugs it may not have been even that bad. But it's completely doable. I think 1mg is good because I've heard of few people who believe .5mg does anything at all, let alone making yourself taper down to it for a week or more just to still jump when it can just be done....you have to do what is right for you, but my opinion is that you're scaring yourself into thinking you need more time so you can taper further......but we ALL did/do that...not a single addict ever fully feels "ready" to jump, or feel that they will be able to function without their drug.....yet everyone clean now has done it....just plan to feel crappy for a few days, it'll pass. No one walks around terrified of getting the flu or losing sleep or sneezing or having watery eyes - but that's all it really is in the end. It's you're own mini war to conquer....a few days of endurance for a lifetime of victory. You can do it!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the motivation - I'm just terrified of feeling bad/not "taking" anything. Again, its really habit..because taking it makes me think in some weird way I'm going to get high & Its just bizzare. I want a sober life but I'm just having a hard time letting it go, I've been on suboxone for a month & haven't thought of pills. I just need to change my mind frame, I have 3 or 4 tabs left...maybe I will finish them out & when they are done ill be done too. Its scary jumping and not knowing where your feet are going to land, but thanks for the encouraging words I really needed that
Old 05-10-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'll tell you, I stayed on it for YEARS out of fear of quitting.....don't let that happen to you. Every day I would say to myself I should've just stopped after the first month. Even my dealer instructed me to be on it for 2 weeks and taper down for two weeks and deal with the couple days of feeling blah and be done with it.....it won't be as bad as you fear it will be, it just seems like it because it's "unknown territory". You can handle all kinds of painful and incredible situations, our bodies are designed to, and this is nothing compared to what you can really endure. Trust me, you will thank yourself every day if you get it over with sooner rather than later, before it becomes a real problem to tackle. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I checked this morning I have 3 2mg tabs left. I'm going to finish them - only because if I have them in the house I KNOW I will take them. Better for me to just finish them and be done & that's it. I know I can do it - I'm scared/excited to close this chapter in my life & move forward in my life. Life can be good with out drugs. I graduate college in two weeks....I would like to keep posting as the countdown begins 3 tabs left ...I can do this I can do this ..right ? Its been a little over a month I've been on them it really can't be that bad - I'm siking myself out ahhh! Lol ok I'm doing it minds made up IM READY
Old 05-10-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You got this!!! You already know how much you have, just make em count.....I would get down to 1mg a day and just go - that's just me. You can be clean before you graduate!! It can be the start to a whole new life, in every way! I wouldn't say it's possible if I didn't believe it and do it myself - it's not that hard, we just convince ourselves it is, scare ourselves. But you're strong and smart, now be clean and healthy and take your degree and start your life without addiction. Way to go on school too!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! Took my last dose this morning (1mg) I just want to be over it. I know it may not hit me for a couple days because it stays in your system for a while. But im just gonna try not to think about it - maybe it'll be mild & I won't even realize. I just don't wanna be on it for years - almost 2 months..I didnt want it to turn into a lifelong battle- I'm trying to do this before it becomes a problem- on a positive note I haven't thought of pills since taking it - so it's done it's job, but I don't know if that's the subs talking because it's still in my system. So I'm just gonna try and power through it, go outside go for walks & keep myself occupied. I can do this, this is what I want