Notices

New to methadone

Old 07-04-2011, 01:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to methadone

I've been addicted to heroin for about a year and a half now. I just started using methadone about a week ago, It's a 21 day program, but, i've already messed it up. They started me on 10mg the first day, and after a few hours i was as sick as having quit cold turkey, so i used. The second day, they gave me 30mg and again after about 8 hours i was as sick as i ever have been, so I used. the third day was a little better but even still about 12 hours just as sick, then they started bringing it down. I'm at 25mgs and still using. I'm sure if I can get them to let me go up to around 50 or 60, i'd be able to get past the dope, i might not be comfortable, but i'm fine with that, I've kicked before and i just can't go through cold turkey again, i don't have it in me.

My plan is to see if i can go up to 50 or 60mg like i said, but from there, i'm not sure what to do next, i really don't want to be on maintenance, I just want to get past this part of my life, I'm willing to work at it, but i'm just not sure what to do. I'm not asking for any medical advice, but if anyone could share their experiences with Methadone, especially weaning off of it, or using suboxone to kick methadone, i'd really appreciate it. Some of the things i've read about methadone scare the hell out of me.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So, i've been reading the boards here for the past hour or so and am thinking, maybe i should stop with the methadone and try suboxone. I'm just scared cause the last thing i want is to be addicted to something else. I've seen a few people say that if you're only on suboxone for a few weeks, it's not that hard to get off of.

Again, i'm not looking for any medical advice, I'd just like to hear people's experiences, what's worked for them. Thanks in advance for any responses and support.

P.S. this seems like a really great board, the way everyone supports each other here is really moving, and really inspiring.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

welcome...
I have no experience with what you are doing...so can't share about it.

Please do read the top 3 sticky posts on this Forum.

hope you can get out of your situation.....
Old 07-04-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, I hope you get what you're looking for, though you sound confused about that. I was on methadone and later suboxone for a number of years, and both can be quite effective. You'll have to discuss your situation with the doc for a recommendation.

I have to wonder why, with your relatively short length of use, you are jumping into these types of treatment? Have you tried other ways? As has been repeated ad nauseum here and elsewhere, stopping opiates isn't really the issue, it's staying stopped. Like any medications, there are pros and cons, and you need a good doc to help you weigh them.

Many of the horror stories thrown around online are pure BS, completely ignoring the situation prior to starting therapy. One cannot be in the throes of active addiction and expect these drugs to "cure" them, make life easy and conform to their desires. There is NO way to sidestep the work needed to effect recovery!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SLD

Opiates are strange. Everyone has an opiate "honeymoon" period, where opiates are heaven on earth. Not much else makes you feel quite so good. But there is a HUGE, EVIL, DANGEROUS catch that starts about the time a hard physical addiction sets in.

It's like you have a happiness/pleasure "bank" with a fixed amount in it. When you use, you are drawing on that account. When kick time comes, you need to pay it back, and the more of your happiness fund you've used, the more you have to put back in.

In simple terms, the high ain't free. You pay later. The more and longer you've used, the more and longer the payback.

I know this sounds simplistic, but that's how it seems to me, at least! No one said H addictions are anything but brutal to kick, but 1.5 years (when compared to some)... it could be worse. Again, no medical advise, but ONE option (among others) is a relatively brief weaning/detox using methadone or suboxone, then a rapid taper with some white knuckling, and you'll (hopefully) be free.

If that's not possible, and you're thinking long-term, I think suboxone is more user-friendly, much less likely to be abused, than methadone. Addicts don't get high from suboxone, and you won't be tempted to boost the dose, which does nothing except make you a little sick.

The goal is to put "seeking the high" thoughts and behaviors behind you. That's the hard part. Next would be weaning from the physical addiction, so much easier when most of the mental part is beaten down.

Good luck in whatever you choose, you are not alone!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, everyone!

Tom, What do you mean by "other ways", Besides a medical detox, or cold turkey what other ways are there?

I understand that there isn't any magic cure, and even though i know this is going to sound naive, I've really already dealt with the a good portion of the issues that started all of this. Before I started, i'd been sober for years, but when I was a lot younger I also had a drug problem, just not opiates. I know there will always be issues in my life, and triggers that i will always have to watch out for. Because of that, I really feel like using suboxone to detox and then tapering off it and being done with it as soon as possible. I'm fine with not feeling well, it's just the days upon days of violently throwing up, and immense pain that i want to avoid if possible. For a few reasons, but first and foremost if i had to miss a week of work to detox, I'd lose my job and losing my job would mean losing my apartment. I've been homeless once before and the stress of that is not conducive to staying clean.

I've actually been on Suboxone once before, only for about 2 days, because it was making me feel so sick. But i'm starting to realize that may have been because i was on far to high a dose.

It just seems like almost everyone who gets on Suboxone, and maybe to a greater extent methadone, ends up on it for a long time. I really don't see that as being a whole lot different than being addicted heroin.

But for the mean time i'm still on methadone, and since they won't go any higher than 30mgs it hasn't really done anything at all except maybe cut my heroin use in half.

The more i talk to people who work at my methadone clinic the more it seems to me like all they want is for me to be a methadone addict.

To just reiterate what i'm trying to say, I think that if i can get clean, that'll be a major step for me, and i know it won't cure me, I know myself to well. I know that drugs are always going to be an issue for me. But i really have some faith in myself and i think if i can just get clean to begin with, i'll already have won half the battle. (even if it's the smaller half ;])
Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

All I can do is share my story with you I am not telling you what to do or giving medical advise in the slightest.

So I was on Heroin for about 15 or so years, this last time I was homeless doing unimaginable things to get money, and I just wanted it all to stop. I tried going cold turkey 5 or 6 times but I would get into the 2nd day and I would be so sick that I always went back. I went to detox still didn't work.

Someone had mentioned Methadone now I really didn't know much about it, all I knew is it was a way out of my hell and I was desperate to try anything.

I have been on it now for 7 years I have tried to come off it 3X's and I get down to about 20 mlg's and I start getting dope sick all over again.

Now I feel so stuck, sure my life is so much better but, now I am addicted to Methadone just like I was with the Heroin.

I was an active member of NA back when I was clean and when I relapsed and then got on the Methadone Program I was shun by even some of my closet friends. People started telling everyone to stay away from me I wasn't clean, anyway I took it at the meetings for about 3 years and that was about all I could take of the drama and back stabbing.

The Methadone program got me off the streets, back in school, back with my family, and it literally saved my life but, if I knew now how hard it would be to get off of it I am not really sure I would of taken this route?

I stopped cold turkey many a times my first 3 or 4 years so I am not real sure like others have commented why you can't after a year and a half but I know everyone is different and that certainly is enough time to get pretty sick so I do get it.

Its so easy for me or others to say oh thats not long just quit cold turkey yeah well its not us going through the hell is it?

So that is my story I am hoping one day that I will have the money to afford rapid detox but it is very expensive and as of yet no way can I afford it.

Hang in there and stay close with the professionals they really do know best. Stay close on SR as these people have saved me in more ways than I can explain.

Peace & Blessings
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You folks need to look at the difference between "addiction" and "dependence", and the goals of being "addiction free" and "medication free".

What are "other ways"? There are many: sobriety via a 12-step program, in- and/or outpatient treatment, etc. etc. Back when I began methadone, it was pretty much viewed as a method of last resort. Now, it seems like anyone with the resources can get in, and folks are even clamoring for the taxpayers to foot the bill.

There is no "solution" for everyone. What worked for me (and for most that I know), was a combination of meds, support groups, and therapy. Of course, going with meds can open a can of worms with some folks in support groups, if one chooses to divulge their medical history. All of this needs to be taken into account going in...but rarely is!

I should add that none of us can live the rest of our lives today. I was completely OK with being on ORT forever, and never gave it a second thought. It didn't work out that way, though. I had to accept that, whatever happened would be as it should...that makes life so much easier.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tsmba View Post
You folks need to look at the difference between "addiction" and "dependence", and the goals of being "addiction free" and "medication free".

What are "other ways"? There are many: sobriety via a 12-step program, in- and/or outpatient treatment, etc. etc. Back when I began methadone, it was pretty much viewed as a method of last resort. Now, it seems like anyone with the resources can get in, and folks are even clamoring for the taxpayers to foot the bill.

There is no "solution" for everyone. What worked for me (and for most that I know), was a combination of meds, support groups, and therapy. Of course, going with meds can open a can of worms with some folks in support groups, if one chooses to divulge their medical history. All of this needs to be taken into account going in...but rarely is!

I should add that none of us can live the rest of our lives today. I was completely OK with being on ORT forever, and never gave it a second thought. It didn't work out that way, though. I had to accept that, whatever happened would be as it should...that makes life so much easier.
Hey Tom! How have you been ?