Notices

Want off Suboxone? Follow me...

Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Want off Suboxone? Follow me...

A little history here...
I am in my early 50s and have been on Suboxone since Oct 2007. It started with back surgery and then unresolved pain. Docs kept me on Lortabs for 10 months and it was MY IDEA to come off the hydrocodone. It's just that after 10 months, I was dependent...couldn't come off without being soooo sick. I found out about Sub in a search on "coming off Lortab"...went to see a Sub Doctor, where I was told I was the perfect candidate as it's secondary use was pain management. So, I've now been on Subs since then as a pain management drug. But was I really? I couldn't escape the fact that yes, Sub controlled chronic pain but I was also addicted. I knew that if I didn't have Subs, I would go right back to Lortab.

I find myself now really, really wanting off this drug. I am tired of the monthly visits, the expense, and the total anxiety all the time of "what if I lose my meds", "what if I need surgery and need other pain meds"...I have reached that epiphany that so many talk about where you just KNOW you are ready to be 100% clean of any chemical in your body. I have no cravings other than the fact that I want this out of my system and I do not want to be dependent on Subs any longer.

After reading so many stories of people coming off Subs and how negative most are about it, I decided to chronicle my taper down here and be brutally honest about how it goes. If it's a piece of cake, I will say so and if there are probs, I will tell it like it is. There seems to be so many wanting to know "how do I get off Sub?" and I"m going to do this and log my experience in this thread.
If anyone would like to join me in tapering off Subs, please feel free to do so...it would be great to have a friend or two to do this with
3/7/2011 - I've been on three 8 mg tabs/daily for over 3 years. Today, I cut down to two tabs/daily.
3/19/2011 - Just two days shy of being 2 weeks at the reduced dosage. No notable side effects yet. In fact, there is good news....I am not nearly as drowsy at 16 mgs/day as I was on 24/mgs day. That has been a real problem to deal with the past 3 years...I never really got used to the drowsiness that Sub caused...I could sleep at the drop of a hat! In two more days, I will cut out another 4 mgs and take 12 mgs/day for the next couple weeks. I have been putting off tapering off Subs for a year or more...just wasn't ready. I am surprised, even at myself, at how ready, focused and motivated I am to get off Subs now.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck bel14. It took me a couple of try's and all I can say is slow and steady wins the race. You sound ready I'll be reading
Old 03-19-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, tbeit. I have a very smart doctor who is very knowledgeable about Suboxone, the brain, and the changes our brains have made due to addiction. It took me going thru 3 docs to find him! A very disturbing thing is happening...there are doctors using Sub patients to make money and lots of it. It's a business to them and the goal is to keep you on it and the steady stream of income coming in every month. I know...I saw two of them (who told me quite candidly I would probably be on this the rest of my life)...NO WAY. My current doc's goal was to keep me on it until I WAS READY to commit to taper off. You HAVE to be at that point...the point where they are no more cravings.
I said I was going to be honest here and I am....I have no idea what my pain level regarding my back is at because the Sub has done its job of controlling my back pain. My doc was concerned that at some point, the pain will rear its ugly head and there I'll be. I WOULD RATHER LIVE IN PAIN THAN BE ON SUBOXONE. I told him I will cross that bridge when/if it happens. I may be able to control pain now with ibuprofen or naproxen, heat wraps, some physical therapy and sheer will.
I am determined to do this...you are right, slow and steady does it My hope is to do this while giving others hope as well. Everywhere I went on the internet when searching for "tapering off Sub", it was filled with horror stories of people saying they could not get off of this. I just don't believe that it's impossible! My goal? To be 100% free by Oct 1, 2011.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Just a quick pain story.

Hi there. Just a quick note about pain.

I was on high doses of Percocet after two total knee replacements back to back in 2009, followed by a hysterectomy in 2010. I had a long recovery of pain after the second knee, and I thought I would not be able to live without pain pills.

I discovered after failing to taper off oxy's in 2010 that my pain was not being well controlled on the oxy's after prolonged high doses. I was frightened by several doctors that it would be worse after I stopped. At the end of the oxy hell ride, I don't think my pain was even marginally close to being controlled by pain meds the way it was postop. Even my last pain doc that was really trying to help me taper off told me I would experience high levels of pain after stopping, in kind of a "rebound pain" sort of way.

I stopped oxys on December 15. The big burst of "extra pain" never came. Looking back, I think the oxy's actually made my pain worse, because of the toxic side effects of the drug.

My knees still hurt, but I find the pain to be quite manageable with ibuprofen, excedrin, or nothing at all but ice/heat/massage, stretches, and especially the RIGHT kind of exercise. I emphasize "right kind" because with your back pain, a physical therapist should advise you about that.

Good luck. I hope that for you the subox is not controlling your pain as much as you think it is. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

failed taper...thank you, I have a feeling its not doing as much as I've been told.
I'm going to be good....really positive attitude here
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Was going to taper down tomorrow to 12 mgs/day but think I am going to go on and start today. I have been at 16 mg for 2 weeks and time to take it on down!
This thread is for anyone that should happen to run across it and is trying to come off Suboxone/Buprenorphine. I'm chronically my experience honestly.
Researching across the internet, trying to find a way to taper down as quickly as possible with minimum w/d, I kept reading how hard it was.
Sub worked for me...and I finally reached the point that my doctor said I might reach one day...which was, no more craving and a desire to be off Sub. I reached that point after about 3 years. I did let the Sub do for me what it is supposed to do and I am thankful it was there. Now, time to not be dependent on a pill any longer...to be finally free of meds. I am not only ready, but looking forward to this.
Positive attitude....strong desire to be free...a good support system...a good forum to vent...a good supportive doctor...all is in place and now time to DO IT.

I sincerely hope that my posting here will help someone else either now or down the road. Thanks to all for letting me post. I read all of your posts and I am silently rooting for all of you.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

Been a while since I posted but back to check in.

I'm down to 2.5 mgs/day...it's taken me three and 1/2 months to get here.

Doing good...keeping a positive outlook...pushing forward through any w/d symptoms as I'm going to be off Subs by end of the year. By then, it will have been 4 years and I'm more than ready to be off.

This is do-able, everyone.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, you're doing well with the taper!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are moving forward....
Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Update

How are you doing bel so far? Any updates.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FT

Excellent job!

Originally Posted by bel14 View Post
Been a while since I posted but back to check in.

I'm down to 2.5 mgs/day...it's taken me three and 1/2 months to get here.

Doing good...keeping a positive outlook...pushing forward through any w/d symptoms as I'm going to be off Subs by end of the year. By then, it will have been 4 years and I'm more than ready to be off.

This is do-able, everyone.
Hey, you are doing it! Great job!

FT
Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
CP Patient turned addict

I too am wondering how you are doing and im rooting for you. As a chronic pain patient, Ive been on ox for many years and I am now looking to possibly try sub's to taper off this oxy garbage, however. Considering I havent had surgery yet to correct the actual problem, im scared that the subs wont do a single thing to control the actual pain. Did it honestly help with your pain, or do you think maybe your pain just wasnt as bad after you stopped the opiates? Just curious. thanks for any and all insight, help, or advice you could give someone who is looking for some first hand experience.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by northernlight29 View Post
I too am wondering how you are doing and im rooting for you. As a chronic pain patient, Ive been on ox for many years and I am now looking to possibly try sub's to taper off this oxy garbage, however. Considering I havent had surgery yet to correct the actual problem, im scared that the subs wont do a single thing to control the actual pain. Did it honestly help with your pain, or do you think maybe your pain just wasnt as bad after you stopped the opiates? Just curious. thanks for any and all insight, help, or advice you could give someone who is looking for some first hand experience.
Hi Northern. I just wanted to share my (very brief) experience with using Suboxone for pain management. I am only going on day 5 of subs due to an addiction that took me by surprise. I do have 2 chronic pain conditions. From what I can tell so far in the past 4 days, the sub does help to some extent with the pain. Personally, my pain level has risen since being off oxy but it is not at all unbearable. I take Advil 2 times a day on top of the sub and feel pretty good.

On another note, I started subs a few days ago and think I may be regretting my choice. Please read the post I just made called "New. Started Suboxone and want to quit". I just posted it an hour or so ago. You may want to read the personal experiences of others before making your choice. I wish I had spent a little more time doing that.

Good luck no matter what you choose and keep us posted!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
CP Patient turned addict

Hey startingovr! I did actually read your post a couple days ago, I typically read every single post here and the substance abuse board. Anyway....I fully understand your position and think if you are just "done" with it all...then do what you have to do to just stop. It will be hard as we all know but it becomes easier I believe when a person has just simply had enough.

I am too kind of in that position, however, I simply cannot function positively day to day with my pain. I work 3 jobs and volunteer two others. One of the jobs is my own side business which is extremely rough on my already failing spine. Aside from that, I am going through an extremely difficult and stressful time in my life right now financially, emotionally, and legally, so I simply cannot take the time "off" to go through the w/d's and be over all of this. I have tried numerous times and I simply cannot do it right now. Maybe in a year that will be different, and that is what im looking for the sub to help me do.. get my whole life back on track before it gets any worse, while not feeling the effects of opiates, or the w/d's of abruptly stopping them right now. I have been on prescribed opiates for over 4 years....so im pretty deep. My w/d's are simply debilitating. Something I cannot let happen right now. I have many things that i must have my full attention right now. Along with a financial hole to dig myself out of slowly. I believe that subs will help me immensely. I have never really been addicted to anything in my life except cigs. I have been on benzo's and opiates other times in my life with no problems. Except this past 4 years as my cspine has just progressed and has broken down more and more. I will need a multi level fusion very soon, so it is not realistic for me to completely stop all treatment right now, however i do feel like i want to feel the pain again to make a conscious decision whether or not i feel my actual pain (while not on pain meds) calls for such a major surgery, or that maybe, just maybe, excercise and ibuprofen can handle it and buy me another couple of years. You see, im a young person that just isnt ready for such a drastic and major life changing operation. (ive had many serious operations before, but not spinal) Anyway....to me....for now....subs just seem like the better option. As always, I could be wrong. I am well aware of the negatives of the pharmaceutical, as I was with opiates. (I am in the emergency medical field). Im just trying to sort out my life while trying to stop the oxy for now to clear my head. I have been on subs for a week before....and felt really good. who knows, maybe it is my short term answer to get back on track. Maybe not. but to me, its worth a shot

Anyway...enough about me. what is your plan for now and how are you feeling?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Errr day 6.. Ummm hmm okay...

So this is the 1st time ever posting on one of these forums even though I've probably read every single one of them! Well here is my deal.... I'm 31 married 2 children very beautiful by the way as well as my wife!! Wifey is 29 my son is 6 my daughter is 3. They are my world and mean everything to me and i feel I have been deprived of the true moments I should have been cherishing these past years. I mean I have, but you all probably know exactly what the uff I'm talking about... It's like the addiction numbs your mind all of your thoughts and reactions and your world. Everything revolves around that stupid orange or white pill or the orange breathe mint tab looking piece of plastic that is replacing the pill.... Well I've been on opiates for probably 3 years, nothing to serious though. Percocets to start some roxys a couple oxy 80's here and there a few methadones but not like seriously abused. Well abused its always abuse otherwise we wouldnt be here right!! For me it was just consistent. I finally heard about Artie Lange from the Howard Stern show talking about his addiction who I actually met in person and he signed my To Fat to Fish book he wrote on a day he called in sick to work which ended up turning out to be one of his relapses and he still showed up to the signing doped out... Anyways he was talking about Subutex so thats when I looked in to it. Low and behold here I am 3 years later 24mg's aka 3 8mg pills a day with no real relapse except for I missed an appointment and took a few Vicodins to get me through to the next appointment reason being for the vikes was they are only there Tuesdays and Thursdays. So i decided to cold turkey 6 days ago straight off no tapering... Errrrrrrrr....... To be honest it was 3 8's a day til Saturday 06/25/2011 then 2 06/26/2011 then 1 06/27/2011 and the last 6 days or well rather today is day nothing!! I've taken a couple valiums to help with the sleep and surprisingly I have been sleeping fine every night luckily. Now I'm not in to valiums xanax etc to be honest I hate them I always loved uppers.. I hate weed I got heavy in to ecstacy then to coke and stopped those with no problem. Well the x took a couple days it almost felt like something was ticking in my head like pulsing.. At that point I figured if I was gonna spend money on srugs I would spend it on something that would make me look good so i stopped everything and started doing steroids for awhile. Stopped that then an ex got me in to opiates................. Now here i am... So okay I know I know you wanna know how I'm feeling??? Well not to bad actually! Def feeling it still and I love every day that passes because its one more day free from the demon that's been controlling every aspect of my life! Plus I look at my kids differently now. When I lay down with them even though I don't feel a 100% I can feel them!! Just today I was feeling kinda bummy and my daughter is sick so i went and laid in bed with her and again 3 years old she was just so helpless and out of it and watching her Barbie dvd's (her favorite) she put her arm around me and started to rub my head and was running her little fingers through my hair for about 10 minutes almost as if she knew I was fringe the way she did... It never felt that way before!!!! I've been praying every day to god to give me the strength to get through another day and yes even though this is the 1st time I've really really tried to stop I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The human body is built to live and we are extraordinary! We are built to last and the body is built to regroup and heel itself... The bs we are all going through after the first few days of withdrawal are over becomes mental... I also seperated myself from my doctor and came to upstate NY 250 miles away from her. I text her every day for advice and updates and she is pulling for me and there for me if needed but its time.... I will continue to post updates from now on and for the record I'm not a taper person its all or nothing.. I can't put myself through months of agony coming down I had to do it in one shot.. Again I'm seriously starting to feel better at day 6 and I'm so looking forward to the weeks that come!! Everyone is different and under different circumstances this is just my story and i hope and will be happy if I helped or inspired at least one person!!! Feel free to email me. paullielaino at g mail dot com!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 7 for me!! But still errrr

So last night I actually slept kinda crappy.. I stayed up kinda late playing the Wii with my son and didn't realize what time it was which was 2am. I finally fell asleep after watching tv around 3:30 and woke up at 7:30 with a headache and some minor thigh cramps. So I took ibuprofren 800 just one and a valium and went back to sleep after watching Prince of Persia around 9am and woke up again at like 1 with no headache and no leg cramps but today ive been feeling the depression a little and tiredness due to the fact that maybe the valium is playing a role in that.. Oh and also some minor bathroom issues. What sucks is that its the 4th of July today I just feel so blah like i don't want to do anything but lay around. There is a fireworks show going on not to far from me later that im going to try to drag myself to just to get out and I'm hoping that cheers me up a little! Anyways just wanted to check in.... Looks like nobody has posted here in about a week or so, I'm hoping to see some responses so I know I'm not alone or preaching to myself.... I can do this right?? I mean day 7 that's pretty damn good!!!! It is good right??
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Any day without using is a good one. What I am waiting to hear is what you're doing to maintain recovery.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tsmba View Post
Any day without using is a good one. What I am waiting to hear is what you're doing to maintain recovery.
I don't know what to do? I'm in the middle of no where right now and im 250 miles away from my doctor... So far today really sucked.. I truly hope day 8 is better! I felt way better last night then I did today. Is it normally up and down?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's different for everyone. I coasted through the first couple weeks, then began to struggle. I had access to plenty of support, but isolated, then drank. Did you talk to your doc about this?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tsmba View Post
It's different for everyone. I coasted through the first couple weeks, then began to struggle. I had access to plenty of support, but isolated, then drank. Did you talk to your doc about this?
I text my doc updates daily and for the most part is responsive with moral support but unfortunately today she has not replied and its probably because of the holiday.. I just want to feel energized again. Ive been trying 5 hour energies but I'm not sure they are really doing anything. I dunno especially today I just feel like crying. Like I've been kind of reminiscing on my life and I just become very emotional. I wish i could turn back the hands of time.. I'm glad today is almost over because its one more day!!!