Notices

don't know what to think of suboxone

Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

don't know what to think of suboxone

My bf just got out of detox for lortabs yesterday. He had been taking them almost daily for a couple months but prior to that, his use was sporadic. He's on 16 mil and was given a 2 month prescription and sent on his way from detox. He will be starting intensive outpatient in a couple days but I am disturbed by the suboxone after learning how addictive this can be as well. Also, being around him after he took his dose made me really question how this is helping him. He was slightly lethargic and basically looked like he was feeling REALLY good. I'd never even seen him that out of it, even through his abuse of lortabs. Also, how is he suppose to learn coping skills and learn how to take life on if he's numbed by yet another substance. He's suppose to go through all his treatment while under the influence of another mind altering substance. I just don't see this as recovery. Let me know if I'm totally off here. I would just like to hear some positive stories about this drug and what it's suppose to do, other than mask a problem.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR twirling
I hope our members can help put your mind at rest.

D
Old 07-23-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My ABF first took painkillers and then moved to suboxone to get off of them. In April he went to rehab to get off of the suboxone--It is definitely very, very addictive. However, it seems that it is a necessary step down from opiates that many people have to take, or at least opt to. I don't have enough information from a personal standpoint to be able to offer more advice, but you will find some good words of wisdom here. I would suggest the F&F forum---You will probably get more responses.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your response Eaglette. What exactly is the F&F forum? Sorry, kinda new with this. Best of wished to your BF in his recovery
Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the well wishes! In the list of forums you will find one called "Friends and Family of Substance Abusers". I usually post in there when I need feedback on an issue related to my ABF, and it is met with a community full of caring people who are willing to share their own experiences in order to help me with mine. Some areas are more commonly read than others--That is one which gets a lot of hits.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

twirling,

welcome to sober recovery. there is a lot of support, and information in the form of other people's experiences.

personally i feel that suboxone is something to be used with someone who has had a very serious and chronic use history. they keep going back to the opiates. we don't know what your b.f's history is, and frankly, neither do you. he may be keeping things from you.

the real point is, what the others said. it can be very helpful, and you do need to do your best to disconnect from his process.

the hardest part of this is being patient and comfortable with not being able to see into the future or knowing all the answers to those burning questions.

come back here often. we're here for you.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and i just realized we are in the sub/methadone maintenance section.

see you in friends and family!