Notices

Getting closer to getting off suboxone..24mg to 8mg!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting closer to getting off suboxone..24mg to 8mg!

Hey everyone, newcomer slave to suboxone but getting there!
Hi everyone, how are you? I was addicted to pain pills for about 2 years and I am currently on suboxone. I started on 24mg, and I am proud to say, I am down to 8mg....It just seems like that last bit is the hardest to kick. Sometimes I wonder if it is psychological or if it is real fear of what "am I going to feel like?" I dont want to go through a few weeks of rough times, but then again, thats a small price to pay for a lifetime of freedom.....Anybody in the same boat??
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was you need to go down more. Suboxone saved my life. The deal is you need to taper way lower. It's a micro gram drug that you are taking in milligrams. That's how it was explained to me what's the rush. If someone tells you to jump at 8 mgs they don't know what they're talking about.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I actually did jump at 8 mg's back in february, so it can be done (i was on sub for 6 months following a 3 year oxy addiction). Crazy maybe, but I knew it couldn't kill me, and I didn't want to drag it out for months. I was sick of being dependent on drugs. Well anyway, it was a rough couple weeks, but honesty it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It didn't even come anywhere close to oxy withdrawal. this could vary for each person though, so you should talk to your sub doctor Loryn. i feel totally normal now physically, been clean and sober since feb. been working a strict program of recovery to keep me on track.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i think tbeit is right (though power to you if you can stop at 8mgs!)

someone told me that doctors prescribe non-addicted people 3 microgram doses(!) there are 1000 micrograms in a milligram. crazy if that's true.

so an 8 milligram sub is 8000 micrograms. picture that 8 mg sub in 8000 pieces.

i had to wean down to crumbs to get off painlessly...i am currently taking a crumb the size of an apostrophe on my keyboard every 3 days, and even that small of an amount makes all the difference. i am going to take it for a month at this rate and then try to stop. if i can't i'll try every 4 days, etc.

please don't let this discourage you, some do jump off at high doses successfully, but if you can't, just don't give up, and try to wean yourself down some more. by the way, CONGRATS for getting down as low as you've gotten! that is truly awesome.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on tapering down. I tapered down to basically crumbs. Suboxone helped me so much. My last crumb was jan or feb. Today I feel great. Of course you may have some withdrawals and energy loss, but you will get through it. Before I quit I took Multivitamins, B vitamins(sublingual) and bananas 2 weeks before my last crumb. It help me with the energy, leg kicks, and the mind. I actually got that from another post in here and it really helped. Your doing great!
Old 03-26-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the shared experience regarding tapering off of suboxone. If anyone has any specific advice such as time of dose, amount of doses per day, etc. I would really appreciate it. I started on Suboxone about 3 and a half years ago at 24 milligrams and am now down to 8 with the intention of getting off of it completely. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience and encouragement.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi BCoyne, A family member of mine is on Subs and been on for almost 2 years. He tried to wean down and was also on crumbs but one weekend forgot to bring it with him and after 3 days was literally in a fetal position crying on the way home. Tapering is necessary and should be done with a doctor's help. Even jumping from 1 mg can be tough. I wish you the very best with your tapering and eventual completion.