Notices

Getting off suboxone CAN be done...

Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi pitbully

We can't give you any medical advice here.

Have you been back to the Dr, or to another Dr ?

Getting professional medical advice has got to be a better option than the cocktail of meds you mentioned in your post.

D
Old 07-31-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Pitbully2000....

I sure hope mixing all that together will not cause serious major complications.
That is so dangerous. Have you taken him to an ER? Or have you called poison center?

that is the best advice I can think of.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

3 steps to have no w/d

I want to share my experience b/c I know the internet can present things without hope. I was on suboxone for 2.5 years, I was taking 24 mg, then down to 8. I wish I could say I used it the exact way but unfortunately I fluctuated. HOWEVER....I was on the program long enough to build time under my belt, mentally I was more than ready to jump off. Well so I did. I took my last 8mg on 7/28/11. I felt fine absolutely fine for the first 5 days. No w/d symptoms aside from a yawn here or there, decreased appetite. I was getting outside and taking vitamins. Days 6-present have been ok also. I was able to take care of my son & house. I have not had severe symptoms just a little lack of energy...since the drug gave my energy, I felt slightly depleted.
Now you can have this too...
1. be ready stay on as long as it takes, that it doesn't scare you to get off, but instead excites you.
2. call off work, school, get a sitter for a whole 7 days. Expect the worst but pray for the best. If you are prepared you are more likely to mentally overcome symptoms.
3. do your research, not on forums but on neuroscience....most drugs aside from crystal meth does not physically change your brain! It is all mental folks. Once that drug is out of your system 7 days max. You should be able to conquer the depression, anxiety ect... if you prepare. I know not everyone is capable of this, but trust me I was waiting to wake up and not be able to get out of bed, it NEVER happened.
Good Luck!!!!!

P.S. excercise for 20 mins a day and eat clean...take vitamins...support system
Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

allright...wishing you all the best as your life continues to improve...
Welcome to SR....
Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks CarolID
Old 08-30-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When will I feel better?

Little history: Lorcet led to Oxys for 4 years, then 2 years of Suboxone, started at 12 mg/day for about 6 months then down to 8 mg/day for 18 months. Tapered to 4 mg/day for about 2 weeks then went completely off 7/28/11.

First few days were OK, I thought, wow, why didn't I do this earlier? Then day 4 hit and was horrible for about a week. Now at a month off, still having horrible stomach issues, feet/leg pain/burning/restlessness (the Requip is not helping), a constant nervous anxiety and a complete and total lack of energy. The anxiety and lack of energy is the worst. I have to literally pull myself out of bed to get to work, slowly climb a set of stairs then sit at my desk and "rest" for a long time before I can start working. And all the time I have this anxiety-type feeling that I can't shake, no matter what.

I've read that it can be MONTHS before I feel "normal" again. I do not want to go back on pain meds or Suboxone but I'm about to my limit of what I can take here. Any advice or encouragement? Do I really have 5 more months of this to not look forward to? I don't think I can make it that long.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome to SR

I hope others will be along to share their experience soon.

If things don't improve tho, maybe seeking professional medical advice is a good idea?

D
Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

withdrawalsux....Welcome...

I don't know but I can tell you when I quit drinking it took me about 2 months to feel back in balance physically and mentally.

anxiety is not part of my medical history tho. Depression was. I do think talking to your doctor is always wise idea.

You have come a long way please do keep moving forward
Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

w/d sux, I'm sorry u r having such a hard time have u thought of talking to your dr? The 1st time I came off subs ( I know, what a dummy 2 shoot my self in the foot twice) I had entered myself into a treatment facility and jumped from 8 twice per day. I was fine for 2 days (I didn't realize I would get sick from subs) and then had what I thought was a throw up/ rrhea virus for 24 hrs then had bone ache, insomnia and shaking hands for the rest of the week. Then I was fine (other than my hands shaked for another week). Have u tried exercise? My heart goes out 2 ya and any1 else who has 2 feel that pain. Just stay strong, talk to your general care physician and have he/she help u through. Not to mention us here on the msg boards and your friends/fam for emotional support. Godspeed
Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i am 31 yrs old i have been on opiates for 14 years i started off with herion, i stoped that when oxicotins came out then went to methadone back to oxys back to herion, i finally got sick of being sick. i was introduced to suboxone i have been on it for almost 5 yrs. im ready to be off them as well, and im scared. i feel that i am ready.. i have no cravings at all for anything. suboxone has saved my life! i was on a program that paid for my script and now its expired. my husband and i have been on them together this whole time i get 30 8 mg strips but i give him half, so i have been on 4mg for years, i am now telling my self tomorrow is the day i cut them into 1/4 then 1/8 then be done, its so scary tho cause im so use to doing something on a daily basis. mind over matter. i have a goal and im excited to be free, but im scared about withdraws, i have 2 kids, i work, i cant afford to go on vacation and get a sitter!! tough it out! im just going to do it. i honestly want to know how bad it really is, because myself i feel like i can do this.. just scared my husband has already cut down and hes having rls, the *****, flu symptoms, i know everyones body is different but, hes freaking me out. i feel strong but scared, i think i can trick my mind when the time comes. is there anything over the counter to help. i do get xanex perscribed i take 1 a day for anxiety, but for withdraw and pain is there anything to trick my head? herbs? time is ticking only have 1 month supply left
Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi amberdaniel

welcome

I think if you're that worried about withdrawal the responsible option is to see a Dr and get a professional opinion.

I'm not sure where you live - I know it probably costs money - but peace of mind in things like this is priceless.

D
Old 11-09-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Here we go....

Originally Posted by Suboxowned View Post
Thanks for sharing all of the honest sub experience's above.I do pray for the still suffering addict's daily. I started a thread called"sub help please enlighten me" I did get one kind response ,however her wd's stemmed fro alcohol.I have been on subs 8 mos now 8mg's to 4,3,2 now 1.50.I am having such an obsessive fear of getting off of them and then the PAWS that follow.I am on the subs again due to the unbearable PAWS I had last time....the depression was debilitating..I could not grasp reality...I have tried to reach out for help hear,but maybe my posts are being missed? not sure reall.Any opinions at this point would be helpful and if any body who is jumping off when I am..would like to journal with me please let me know.
Suboxowned, have you made the jump? I'm in the same situation...scared...really scared.... but I know I have to do it for my kids. I'm just going to try to hold on to that fact to keep me motivated. Today is only day 1. I'm looking at it like I don't have any other choice, it's ruining my life and I really want to be a good dad. I got myself into this and I'm the only one that can get myself out.......here we go
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome USMCsgt
do you have a Dr working with you?

D
Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Dee74, Yes I have been working with a Dr but decided to quit on my own after my Dr wouldn't even talk about helping get off Suboxone or even lower my dosage (which I started doing on my own). The truth was that she had no plans of taking me off of it for another 2 yrs, and that's not acceptable to me. I decided to change Dr's. I called every Dr. in the area that prescribes suboxone but the soonest appt I could get was 3weeks away. So I got myself down to 1mg per day and now I'm on day 2 of quitting.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
FT

USMCsgt,

Congratulations on your decision!

I don't know if going off subs is as bad or worse than oxycodone, but what I do know is that my life is immensely improved off opiates. The freedom from that drug, plus the freedom from constant doctor hopping and pharmacy waits in a sick-cold-sweat, is awesome.

You can get through this. Allow yourself time to feel "normal" again, because it is a state you may have to relearn.

FT
Old 11-11-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Smile

hi sorry this reply is a while since you last posted on here but i was just wondering how you are doing? I am going to go onto subutex in 6 weeks i had been a heroin addict on and off for 10 years and also on and off methadone courses. Last year in july 2010 i kicked the heroin habit but my methadone habit climbed. A lot has happened and my life has changed in the last 6 months i have moved away from where my addiction had started and now live next door to my mother (which i ma finding hard sometimes) and in the 6 months i have reduced from 100mls of methadone down to 27mls the last 2 weeks i have reduced by 17ml ans i am feeling it when i get down to 18ml i have to do a 3 day withdrawl off the methadone and then start taking subutex then do a 5 week course and come off them. I ma really starting to get nervous now my mood has seriously declined i definatly do not feel 100% and i have a way to go the last 2 nights i have not slept been aching yawning cold then hot and the sweats which is making me think god those 3 days of nothing is going to be hard i can do it i know i can but its over christmas i have a 10yr old son and i am a single parent as his father was also a heroin/methadone addict. I live out in the sticks now and there does not seem to be allot of support really i see my drug worker once every 2 weeks sometimes a month i have no one i can actually talk to about this. my mother has told most of her work colleagues about me (which im not impressed by at all) and whinges how hard it is on her and i know it is she only found out everything on newyears eve and she has ppl to talk to aswell as my stepdad. idk?? im starting to get quite negative and i have not felt like this in over a year. did you come off the mthadone and go on suboxone or did you go straight on to suboxone? did you ever feel like i am? sorry if i hafe went on and on. hope you are doing well
Old 11-11-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

hi josaphene, Thanks for posting I hope you keep everyone here on SR posted on your journey I am sure it will help others along the same path. As for me I medically withdrew from 65 mgs of methadone using suboxone over 5-7 days +/- a day, that was the best road for me I was tired of being on methadone and I was only on it for about 100 days but used heroin for about 6yrs prior. I felt I could not function 100% and that was enough for me to come off. Over all it was not bad. I wish you luck.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I have been off of suboxone for four months now (121 days) and am still having an extremely rough time. I had tried and failed many times before to get off the suboxone after being on it for 3.5 years straight, but finally was able to get off at a treatment center.

With a good taper, I experienced only moderate withdrawal symptoms (restlessness, sweating, insomnia, no energy and depression) but they lasted for three weeks. Since then my sleep is back to normal, and the restlessness is gone - but I am continuing to experience the depression and lack of energy just as intensely as I was during the first week off. Also cravings - EXTREME cravings for anything - opiates, booze, stims, shrooms, coke, anything.

My sobriety the last 4 months has been far from perfect. I've drinken kratom tea a handful of times, but have been 99% opiate free. I have also drunk alcohol maybe ten or so times. Also kava, and taken 4 to 5 benadryl at a time to get a "buzz" (yeah my cravings for ANYTHING are making me do weird things).

I've been attending AA/NA meetings, and even have a sponsor, but the lack of motivation is making it really hard to 'work work work the program.'

This is not meant to scare others, as I seem to be having an unusually hard time getting off subs/opioids. I guess I'm hoping there is someone out there who has been through the same and come out the other side okay?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

First of all I want to say thank you to all who have posted your experiences, strengths and hopes. I have been an addict for about 14 years but hard core for about 8 years (off and on) with a year sober once and some months sober in between. I was a cocaine addict for about 5 years and then became addicted to opiates, starting with tabs, then oxy's, then heroin. I got on methadone and did great for about a year. I slowly came off 120mg by detoxing 5mg a week until I finally got off completely. It was horrible. I did take suboxone to help but was still unsuccessful as I started smoking weed and taking xanax to help with the sleeping and anxiety. I eventually started using heroin again and did that off and on for months. It got bad again, of course. I lost my job, my car, apartment and now I'm living with a friend who is very kind. My fiance and I found out 3 or 4 weeks ago that I am pregnant. This helped me stop using heroin but I found out to cold turkey quit can be very harful to the baby and even make you miscarriage so I started back on subs and am only taking 4mg a day. So far studies show that it is safe but since there hasn't been a lot of research they suggest methadone. But studies show even though methadone is safe it will cause the baby to go through withdrawal when born. Suboxone causes less withdrawal for me and the baby. I go to the dr monday and am going to ask what the best way for me to get off of subs is seeing as though I have my baby to think about now. Timing and how I do it is very important. I may go into a medical facility so they can monitor me as I go through it. I've come off subs before and it was awful. Benzos can help but since I'm an addict, I would only feel comfortable taking them under medical supervision. And I can't take benzos when pregnant I am pretty sure. So anyway, if anyone had been through this pregnant or knows anyone that has, any advice is welcome. I hope y'all don't judge me. I haven't used street drugs since the day before I knew I was pregnant. I really want to be clean. I'm so scared and I just want to be a good woman and a good mom to my child. Hope someone has some advice. Thanks for letting me talk. And prayers go out to all suffering with addiction. I know it's hard but we can do it...together and with God's help!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Failedtaper. Thank you for your supportive words. It is the end of day 6 for me. Dr gave me clonidine and ambien yesterday and I finally got a decent night sleep last night. I did a 5 day full body cleanse that i got from GNC and i really think it sped up the process by getting all that crap out of my body, atleast thats what Im choosing to believe. Today i had moments of extreme exhaustion and moments that I actually felt normal. I feel that the worst is over but what I'm quickly learning is that its more of a mind game then anything. Is it hard? Heck yeah it is! But Im going to get through this, its not an option for me, my kids deserve a better father, and I want control of my life. I'm always keeping that in my mind. Anyone who is wanting to get off suboxone/opiates, you can do it if you have the will. If anyone out there is needing some support with getting through this, send me a message