SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/)
-   -   just started suboxone... i feel like A zombie (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/suboxone-methadone-maintenance-detox/193489-just-started-suboxone-i-feel-like-zombie.html)

hopelessdream82 01-29-2010 04:05 PM

just started suboxone... i feel like A zombie

so i just started suboxone yesterday ive been on roxy 15's for 6 yrs ( 11-15 a day ) i feel so lost an confused an angry an sad is this normal ? i think i am losing my mind

Dee74 01-29-2010 05:38 PM

I think it's probably normal for any addict, but I've not ever taken subs and I'm not a doctor.

The best thing to do is check with your Dr if you're worried...

Welcome to SR :)
D

ant 01-29-2010 07:19 PM

hey im kinda new to this site. but im about to start takeing suboxone tomarrow is there any truth to people saying that you need to be in servere withdrawals before you start takeing your first dose. i was told yhat if u take it before your in with drawals it makes the withdrawal worse

Dee74 01-29-2010 07:36 PM

Hi ant

There is information provided on the official suboxone site
Suboxone.com - Office-Based Treatment for Opioid Dependence

about what you can expect and what you need to do.

Look under the 'about suboxone' tab at the top of the page and then 'treatment walk through'.

I strongly advise you though to ask your doctor directly about any questions you may have

Welcome to SR :)
D

Rocker1969 01-30-2010 03:47 AM

Hang in there!

The advice to speak with your doctor is wise. Be strong, you will feel like you're going crazy, I did. When I took suboxone, and it worked, I went through severe withdrawal for as long as possible, nearly 3 weeks. I felt horrible. Then, when I started taking subs, I felt great, I stayed clean, I started living a normal life, and working my program. Suboxone was an assistive tool in my recovery, but the real change had to happen in my mind. Hang in there! It will be worth it!

cjsg 02-08-2010 01:10 PM

I hard a really hard induction period and it was a good 4 or 5 days after starting suboxone before I felt mentally well. I agree with the folks who say button down and just ride it for awhile...it will get better. I was a wreck on day two of sub treatment...I was physically ill and mentally I felt so disconnected..almost as if I was seeing myself from up above....really strange. I felt that way for a few days and I rode the pyscho emotional rollercoaster or despair, melancholy, anxiety, depressed, decided.. depressed again you get the picture...It was absolutly rough but it got notably better. We just have to be patient..dont expect too much too fast.
I wouldn't reccomend taking suboxone unless you are in withdrawals as instructed by your doctor. I thought that was something I could ignore because somehow the rules of life didnt apply to me on that one. I took that tablet and a few hours later I got completely smacked down with the most horrible feeling sickness imagineable and it seemed to drag on and on. So yeah, following the istructions from the Doctor is kind of a no brainer for me... follow his orders.

tsmba 02-09-2010 07:13 AM

Give yourself time. Crossing-over puts the old bod through the wringer, and I believe most of that is caused more from what drugs you are stopping, then suboxone. Work closely with your doctor, letting them know of any troubling symptoms. In order to best help you, he or she must stay informed.

I had fairly severe balance problems for a couple days, and some nausea. All that resolved quickly, and I felt much better in a couple days.

Painful93 02-09-2010 07:52 AM

I started taking suboxone when I was out of detox 7 days. I had been on a methadone clinic for a long time. I started to feel better from the withdrawal symptoms within 15 to 30 minutes after I took them. I mean, I stopped trembling and twitching and shaking. As far as the long term benefits I've only been on them a short time after a relape. I do know if you take them too soon after opiates/opioids you get ill. It's not very nice. Shivers and chills etc. I think it's best to take them "Only as directed" by your physician.

SpaceDementia 03-01-2010 04:29 PM

When I switched from methadone to Sub it took 7-8 days to feel better. I quit the sub program first time because I thought that it didn't work. I just didn't wait long enough. Hang in there, it'll work. I don't mean to add any gloom to your situation but if I had it to do over i'd have just suffered the withdrawals the hydro-oxycodone. They suck. They suck hard, but they're over a lot quicker than methadone or suboxone withdrawal. As I am on day 10 of Sub withdrawal I must say that it doesn't suck quit as much as coming off of the other opiates. Don't get me wrong, it still hurts but it's a bit more tolerable.

Good luck my man

newwayoflife 03-03-2010 11:06 AM

I am on day two and I am sick. I am kind of glad to hear its normal. I am laying in my room and I am miserable. I was soo dizzy this morning and I felt numb and sick at my stomach and have had a migraine all day. I didnt sleep last night and I cannot eat. But I don't have the shakes, chills and sweats like I had monday. UUuggg, we can do this. OMG, it doesn't feel that way right now.

Shellslove 03-03-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by newwayoflife (Post 2532259)
I am on day two and I am sick. I am kind of glad to hear its normal. I am laying in my room and I am miserable. I was soo dizzy this morning and I felt numb and sick at my stomach and have had a migraine all day. I didnt sleep last night and I cannot eat. But I don't have the shakes, chills and sweats like I had monday. UUuggg, we can do this. OMG, it doesn't feel that way right now.

Hi NWOL, Welcome to SR :)

I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well after your suboxone induction. Were you prescribed the subs and are you taking them as directed by your doctor? Were you in at least mild to moderate w/d when you took your first suboxone? These points are crucial to the success of the suboxone therapy. It's really important you follow the dosage and directions that your dr gives you. As far as feeling sick when first starting, it's normal, and depends on the dosage of opiates you were taking, and how long you waited after your last dose to start on the subs. Though the subs usually automatically take away the typical w/d symptoms within the first 30 mins, feeling dizzy or nauseous and having migraines may occur while your body is becoming normalized to the suboxone. If you are still feeling like this in the next few days, you should def. take it up with your prescribing doctor.

IME, the migraines cont'd on the suboxone due to the naloxone it contains, and I was switched to Subutex. Not all drs will prescribe Subutex as it is usually reserved for pregnant women or people coming off methadone/long acting opiates. Also, it can 'technically' be abused (this is controversial) and for that reason there is concern over diversion. That being said, if the migraines/nausea continue, maybe you could talk to your doctor about whether it's right for you? Also, even if you have insurance, the Suboxone and Subutex is expensive. There is currently a generic version of the Subutex that can be found in many areas, and it's significantly cheaper.

newwayoflife 03-03-2010 12:12 PM

thanks for the information. Yes, I am using a doctor and I am doing exactly how he said. I hope I don't have to switch. I am toughing it out. I was taking 10 10/500 lortabs. I was in mild w/d when I started subs Tuesday. He did an exam and could tell I was. I emailed him today and told him how I felt. Have not heard back. I will keep in touch. I am still hopeful. If I keep feeling this bad, might as well c/t it.

newwayoflife 03-03-2010 03:46 PM

my doctor told me i wasnt off the tabs long enough before i started suboxone....side effects are sick stomach, headache, dizziness......i haven't taken any since 6:00 am and i feel much better. do this very slowly and make sure you are in withdrawal. that was a terrible feeling....thought I was gonna die. I feel much better but far from 100%. I don't have any w/d symptoms, just kind of feel out of it.

Shellslove 03-03-2010 04:40 PM

I am so so SO sorry to hear this!!! This is called Precipitated w/d and I know how AWFUL it can feel!! I had to go off sub for a surgical procedure and was prescribed painkillers for a week following. I started back on the sub too early and BOOM precipitated w/d. B/c the Buprenorphine in the sub attaches to the receptors in your brain so tightly, when you already have opiate filling the receptors in, the bup knocks this right off, sending you into immediate w/d. Worst and most painful 24 hrs of my life. Drs usually use what they call a 'COWS' score to measure the level of w/d you are in, but unfortunately they don't always get it right and each person will react differently. My dr told me if this ever happens again you really need to wait until you are good and sick to induct with the sub. Follow your drs orders at this point. My dr told me to keep taking the sub and you should stabilize within 72 hrs, and DON't use to try to stop the w/d - it won't work, and you put yourself at risk of OD'ing. But follow what your dr says at this point, and I know you will be feeling better soon!

newwayoflife 03-04-2010 09:44 AM

I feel so much better today and I haven't taken anything. That was scary yesterday and I am afraid to put the subs in my mouth. Man, that was aweful!!!! But I slept last night and finally ate (I haven't eaten in 3 days) and haven't taken a tab since Sunday. Pill bottles are gone, refills are in the garbage out by the road, even if I cannot take the subs I will not use again. I feel better right now than I did using. This is going to be minute by minute. Got up, did my hair and makeup, got the kids to school, ran a few errands, and no hydrocodone needed.....was amazing feeling, although I feel like I could take a nap. My head is slowly coming out of the clouds. Yeah!!!

JaneShaddixy 03-04-2010 02:43 PM

That is really great that you feel so much better. Before you discount the suboxone you may consider that it could be the reason you are feeling so good. That is what sub does, it makes you feel normal without a high and allows your brain to re-adjust chemically.
Sub has a long half life and stays in your system for at least 24 hours I think. So just keep that in mind. I pink clouded right out of rehab and felt so amazing that it was shocking when a couple days went by and everything came back into focus.

Keep up the good work and hang in there!
:c011:

SugarScars 04-07-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ant (Post 2500962)
hey im kinda new to this site. but im about to start takeing suboxone tomarrow is there any truth to people saying that you need to be in servere withdrawals before you start takeing your first dose. i was told yhat if u take it before your in with drawals it makes the withdrawal worse

this is true. wait until you're in severe withdrawals. you'll be very sorry if you don't. follow your doctors orders. at. all. times. this cannot be emphasized enough.

give up trying to be your own doctor. as addicts, we are used to "doctoring" ourselves, but we haven't done a very good job of it. i mean this in an empathetic way, just stop trying to take matters into your own hands and listen to your doctor. trust me, i know how hard this is. as an addict, i never wanted to follow instructions. it felt wrong to me.

if it feels wrong to you, it's probably right! at least, until you start to heal.

good luck!