Notices

Xanax and Suboxone...

Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax and Suboxone...

I've been getting a lot of mixed information about Xanax and Suboxone together. I keep trying to get on Suboxone, but have been having a hell of a hard time getting through those 24 (or so) hours without giving up, and going out to cop. Several people have told me that they took Xanax to get through the dope sickness, and it really helped.

I've been researching, and half the information I read says DO NOT mix the two, but then I read about all these people who are prescribed to Suboxone, and are still taking Xanax every day. So what's the deal?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My Dr. prescribed xanax with the sub to get through the begining. I told another Dr. I was going to take xanax with the sub to get through it and he didnt say anything negative. I know someone who has done xanax with sub and no bad effects. Everyone is different. I would try a little xan at first to check out. Just dont get addicted to the xanax. Its the worste drug ever to get off of.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please be honest with your doctor and let him/her help you with this and prescribe medication that is safe.

Important Safety Information

Important directions about SUBOXONE use
Intravenous misuse of buprenorphine, usually in combination with benzodiazepines or other CNS depressants (including alcohol) has been associated with significant respiratory depression and death.

SUBOXONE combined with medications/drugs
It can be dangerous to mix SUBOXONE with drugs like benzodiazepines, alcohol, sleeping pills and other tranquilizers, certain antidepressants, or other opioid medications, especially when not under the care of a doctor or in doses different from those prescribed by your doctor. Mixing these drugs can lead to drowsiness, sedation, unconsciousness, and death, especially if injected. It is important to let your doctor know about all medications and substances you are taking. Your doctor can provide guidance if any of these medications are prescribed for the treatment of other medical conditions you may have.

Suboxone.com - Important Safety Information
Old 04-13-2009, 02:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Morning glory. Please be careful. My doctors's condition for prescribing subutex was not to use with Benzo's. He clearly said to me that if "I find any Benzo trace in the urine test, I'll get you off it ".He said taht is a deadly combination. The most appropriate solution for you would be to check with your doctor. perhaps he'll even give you xanax but he'll monitor you medically. Deaths did occur when mixing Benzo and Subutex.So please be careful.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

ya speak with your doctor about it marvel. he probably will NOT give you xanax but another type of benzodiazpene to help you through those first 24 hours.

Not giving medical advice but............. benzos of any type definitely make withdrawal from dope easier to go through (they dont turn it into a sunny picnic but its more bearable)

Stay strong marvel, hope we can catch up soon also, havent spoken to ya in a minute ;o
Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Live it

Marvel,

and anyone else considering suboxone treatment,

Please go to your suboxone doctor and be completely honest about everything you are doing. He/She will give you detox meds (clonopin, most likely, which is nearly the same as xanax ... along with clonodine for tremors and this other medication for nausea and vomiting). He/She may give you a different cocktail, I don't know. He or she is the doctor, NOT me and NOT you.

I know that when you're on the streets you get used to taking matters into your own hands. However, I recommend treating yourself AS A PATIENT and allowing your doctor and his/her medical staff to TREAT YOU AS A PATIENT, literally. Honestly, we don't know as much as we think we know. WE ARE NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, no matter how long we've been using on the streets.

Please just be honest with your doctor and follow his advice. He is a power greater than you right now.

You'd be surprised, but the simple act of submitting yourself to treatment paves the way for growth in twelve-step programs as well. There's no better time to start getting better than right now.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Sugar xo
Old 04-14-2009, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Marvel, I too used suboxone for a very short time after coming off of opiates. I was also told not to mix suboxone with any other opiates, or sleeping medications. Because it could cause death. That's the key word. COULD... It might not happen, and probably won't. But, is it really worth taking the chance? You say the first 24 hours are tough, but basically it's in your mind. Your body still has opiates in your system, within the first 24 hours. I know how you feel, because I had the same addiction to deal with. It was mostly mental for me also. Whatever you do, be careful, and follow your doctors orders. Good Luck to you.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

opinion

If you read the info on the Subuzone website it says one death has occured because of mixing Xanax and Subtex. This death occrued while shooting the dope which you cannot do with subuzone since its an ant/ag. I told my dotor when he started me on subuzone, he was fine with it. Talk to your doc and read the warnings, wikipedia (but remember its wikipedia) I have taken mass doses of both at the same time and had no problems but I have been on Xanax for over 2 years. Also depending on what you are taking you do not have to be in a full state of detox, h, vics, and morph are fast acting and leave your body quickly methadone I have heard they are having problems with because it stays in your system for so long.

Just my two cents. I like most drug addicts do some stupid stuff, so check around do your own homework and form your opinions based on many sources not just anecdotal threads.

I right now am on day # 1 of cold turkey from sub, I have been taking it for 4-5 months a week ago I was taking 5-6 8mg a day I feel good right now but I don't know what's going to happen, I am doing it on my own. Hows that for stupid.

You will feel so good right away after making the change, not only will your cravings be gone but a weight from your chest, but depending on how you feel and your situation move on as you can we as addicts also allow ourselves to get into ruts.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
little darlin'

hi marvelgirl, it's nice to meet you...

I wanted to quickly share my experience w/ sub and xanax. I have never taken the two together or at the same time, however I have taken both idependently.

I am currently on 3mg's of sub daily, recently tapering from 4. Many, many years ago I was prescribed xanax for very bad anxiety but haven't touched it since I went through a horrible w/d from it back then.

Honestly, the withdrawl I experienced from xanax was the absolute worst period of time I can recall in my entire life. I am an addict and I have proven to myself that I will abuse anything. I would be afraid that if I were to try to take xanax I wouldn't be able to do it responsibly. I know this may sound contradictary or hypocritical as I am currently taking sub, however I am somehow able to maintain my sub dose w/o abusing it. Perhaps it's the fact I'm also involved in NA and seeing an addiction counselor, but I have not had the urge to abuse my sub.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that I would be fearful of becoming addicted to the xanax again. Maybe you can take both medications responsibly, good for you if you can... really. I just know I couldn't do it, not the xanax anyway.

Please be careful either way, because as I understand it, there really could be some very serious health implications if you take them both at the same time.

Please keep posting and let us know how your doing. Good luck & take care of yourself.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone who replied. The thing is I know theres a risk, but what I really want to see is a study that shows me exactly how many people/what percentage actually had adverse affects from mixing the two. I know thats probably not even possible, but still. Basically, yes there's a risk, but how big is that risk?

And I want to clarify, that I'm only interested in taking Xanax that one day. JUST to alleviate the dope sickness.

So thanks to everyone who replied, I'll be sure to update soon.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Originally Posted by Shreddi View Post
Just dont get addicted to the xanax. Its the worste drug ever to get off of.
This is so true, I was addicted to xanax and when I tried to stop myself I started suffering from seizures.

Talk to you Doctor before starting anything.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've heard how xanax is horrible to get off of, and believe me, I don't need any other addictive substances in my life. I'm planning to use it for the one day only.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
5 STaR GeNeRaL

Exclamation

WHEN I WENT TO TRY TO GET SUB THROUGH A TREATMENT CENTER THEY TURNED ME DOWN BECAUSE OF MY PAST BENZO PROBLEM!~ SO IVE HEARD MIXING THE 2 IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!~ BUT HEY IM NO DOCTOR!~

GOOD THREAD!~
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

First, there are rare, but there ARE Suboxone doctors that will prescribe Xanax or other benzos. I've seen them, even when people don't come in without habits. Further, they are usually over-full because every addict wants in their programs.

BUT, the vast MAJORITY of Doctors, especially since the DEA has been coming around and doing hard-core auditing of Suboxone doctors lately, will NOT tolerate Benzos of any degree. They will throw you right out and tell you to go to an inpatient clinic. Trust me, Doctors will drop you in a HEARTBEAT - even if you've been going there for years. MOST, sadly, are more worried about their Suboxone license than anything else. And that is understandable. That is their living, after all, and they don't want the DEA to crack down on them.

Also, let me tell you from first hand experience. I dropped 6mg of XANAX a day habit for years COLD TURKEY to get into a Suboxone doctor. I didn't sleep even one hour total in a WEEK. Psychosis for 2 additional weeks. I'm still far from normal. Severe depression etc... If you think opiod withdrawal is bad (and it is!), Benzo withdrawal is equally bad, in a different sort of way. The psychosis, depresonalization, and insomnia can lead a person INSANE! Worst, after the acute withdrawals, depression and bouts of returning symptoms can come and go for MONTHS (some people report Years).

FWIW, the doctor said he never saw anyone make it through CTs of benzos that rapidly, and I was lucky I didn't die. I definitely felt like I was about to have a seizure at any time, and my brain was so far disconnected... ugh, AWFUL! While seeing me still far from 'normal', and still hardly able to sleep, did he offer ANY medication help? NOPE. I even mentioned the severe tachycardia I had, NO HELP. They want NO PART of that stuff.

As for 'are you clean on Suboxone?'. Look, Suboxone gives you time to get your life back together. Get a stable job, repair relationships, etc.. but ANYONE who has been on it for years will tell you it takes its toll on your physical health. I mean, it sure doesn't feel natural.

The first time I tapered off Suboxone (for 6 months I stayed off), I didn't sleep for 2 weeks, though the withdrawals were more mild than from full agonists, the acute phase lasted a lot longer. Then, like with benzos, the next phase is depression, lethargy, etc...

HOWEVER, when I finally got off Suboxone, I felt like I had a religious epiphany. I could FEEL again. No more numbness. It was WONDERFUL. At that time you see how much of a massive impact Suboxone has. Buprenorphine is, after all, EXTREMELY potent, even though it doesn't produce the euphoria of full agonists, it has one of the highest affinities of any opiod, and one of the longest half lives. For instance, after stopping even a moderate does of Buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone), it will take several days before you even start to feel withdrawals, because it is so tightly bound to your receptors.

Those who posted here years ago - I question you: Aren't you sick of Suboxone? Most I know who have been on it for years just get totally sick of it, when lends itself to the less than abusive potential. Physical dependence still occurs, though slowly.

As for the dangers of the two - I've been on massive doses of both for a long time, and unlike full agonists, IN MY NON PROFESSIONAL OPINION THAT YOU SHOULD NOT LISTEN TO, the dangers are minimal and overblown.. though do exists, in theory. The idea that Subutex is more dangerous than Suboxone to mix with benzos is just wrong since they have the same active ingredient. The Nalaxone does NOTHING, even if you shoot it, it is simply a marketing gimmick. Why? The Buprenorphine has a higher affinity than Nalaxone.

LAST NOTE: Trust reliable sources on the net for information over some doctors, at your own risk (I'm not doctor). However, many Suboxone doctors are WOEFULLY misinformed. These are my personal experiences and should NOT be a substitute from proper medical advise from a licensed practitioner (ignorant as they may be in so many cases).
Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by experienceman View Post
First, there are rare, but there ARE Suboxone doctors that will prescribe Xanax or other benzos. I've seen them, even when people don't come in without habits. Further, they are usually over-full because every addict wants in their programs.

BUT, the vast MAJORITY of Doctors, especially since the DEA has been coming around and doing hard-core auditing of Suboxone doctors lately, will NOT tolerate Benzos of any degree. They will throw you right out and tell you to go to an inpatient clinic. Trust me, Doctors will drop you in a HEARTBEAT - even if you've been going there for years. MOST, sadly, are more worried about their Suboxone license than anything else. And that is understandable. That is their living, after all, and they don't want the DEA to crack down on them.

Also, let me tell you from first hand experience. I dropped 6mg of XANAX a day habit for years COLD TURKEY to get into a Suboxone doctor. I didn't sleep even one hour total in a WEEK. Psychosis for 2 additional weeks. I'm still far from normal. Severe depression etc... If you think opiod withdrawal is bad (and it is!), Benzo withdrawal is equally bad, in a different sort of way. The psychosis, depresonalization, and insomnia can lead a person INSANE! Worst, after the acute withdrawals, depression and bouts of returning symptoms can come and go for MONTHS (some people report Years).

FWIW, the doctor said he never saw anyone make it through CTs of benzos that rapidly, and I was lucky I didn't die. I definitely felt like I was about to have a seizure at any time, and my brain was so far disconnected... ugh, AWFUL! While seeing me still far from 'normal', and still hardly able to sleep, did he offer ANY medication help? NOPE. I even mentioned the severe tachycardia I had, NO HELP. They want NO PART of that stuff.

As for 'are you clean on Suboxone?'. Look, Suboxone gives you time to get your life back together. Get a stable job, repair relationships, etc.. but ANYONE who has been on it for years will tell you it takes its toll on your physical health. I mean, it sure doesn't feel natural.

The first time I tapered off Suboxone (for 6 months I stayed off), I didn't sleep for 2 weeks, though the withdrawals were more mild than from full agonists, the acute phase lasted a lot longer. Then, like with benzos, the next phase is depression, lethargy, etc...

HOWEVER, when I finally got off Suboxone, I felt like I had a religious epiphany. I could FEEL again. No more numbness. It was WONDERFUL. At that time you see how much of a massive impact Suboxone has. Buprenorphine is, after all, EXTREMELY potent, even though it doesn't produce the euphoria of full agonists, it has one of the highest affinities of any opiod, and one of the longest half lives. For instance, after stopping even a moderate does of Buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone), it will take several days before you even start to feel withdrawals, because it is so tightly bound to your receptors.

Those who posted here years ago - I question you: Aren't you sick of Suboxone? Most I know who have been on it for years just get totally sick of it, when lends itself to the less than abusive potential. Physical dependence still occurs, though slowly.

As for the dangers of the two - I've been on massive doses of both for a long time, and unlike full agonists, IN MY NON PROFESSIONAL OPINION THAT YOU SHOULD NOT LISTEN TO, the dangers are minimal and overblown.. though do exists, in theory. The idea that Subutex is more dangerous than Suboxone to mix with benzos is just wrong since they have the same active ingredient. The Nalaxone does NOTHING, even if you shoot it, it is simply a marketing gimmick. Why? The Buprenorphine has a higher affinity than Nalaxone.

LAST NOTE: Trust reliable sources on the net for information over some doctors, at your own risk (I'm not doctor). However, many Suboxone doctors are WOEFULLY misinformed. These are my personal experiences and should NOT be a substitute from proper medical advise from a licensed practitioner (ignorant as they may be in so many cases).
your intake of anax is not typical of normal intake, that was a massive amount of Xanax to be taking so no wonder you felt the WD's that you did.
I am 5 days into CT from 1 6th of your intake and although I agree the insomnia is hell, I would think your wd's must have been catastrophic. My head twitches and until last night had to force myself to eat I already feel a bit better..........Xanax is death and should be eliminated