Notices

Sub Problem

Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sub Problem

Hi everyone,

I'm just a little perplexed here. I've been on sub for 8 months. I normally take 4 mg per day. However, I'm going through the most difficult time of my life and some days I take 8mg. This last weekend, I was really bad, don't even know how much I took but it was probably 24mg one day and maybe 12 the next. On Monday and Tuesday I felt nauseous and my body hurt. I took my normal 4 mg these days. Yesterday I had to take 12mgs before I stabalized.
I seem to have messed up my body and now I need more to get stable, just from that increase the last weekend. I have anxiety and I'm very tired. I'm only at 4mg today but I'm going to need more because I'm not stable yet. I'm trying to stick it out.

Has anyone had this happen this quickly? The doctor told me to stay at the same dose or I will get addicted. I had to play with fire and it finally bit me I think. I do have a call into my doctor to tell her what's happened.

Thank you so much for all your help! You guys are always here when I need you!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stick to your 4 mill you will de fine in 4 or 5 days I promise
Old 12-14-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sub help

I just talked to my doctor and told he reheat happened. She wants me to take 16mgs per day and sees nothing wrong with me taking some extra sub when I'm anxious. That just doesn't seem right to me. I've taken 12mg today and its way too much for me. I'm nauseous, almost fell asleep driving and I'm shaking like crazy! At least it's the weekend and I can try to tolerate the anxiety. I can't wait to get this stuff out of my system! I can't focus at work and nothing makes sense! I do have Klonopin I can use but now I'm even afraid of that!

She did tell me that when we start tapering me off, we need to reduce by 10% each week. That's going to take a long time but if I can do it with minimal withdrawals, I'm all for it. I should have just suffered through the opiate w/ds in the first. I just traded one drug for the other.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My son was on this for 4 1/2 months. He started off with one strip half morning half night for the 1st month then went to 1/3 of the strip 2 month and 3rd month 1/2 4th month 1/4.. He finally realized that he was replacing one drug for another and he went 1/2 of a 1/4 then just stopped but it took him almost 5 months.. Good Luck. I wish u the very best <3 u can do this put your mind to it..
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

My husband did his own taper plan after only a few weeks of being on subs. He went off them at 2mg. He had terrible withdrawals.

Please take your Dr's taper off plan seriously so you don't experience what he did.

Also, just a word of caution too. My husband was not prepared at all for the mental cravings again and relapsed. He then had to withdraw from the pills. It was a tough month and a half, but he got through it.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by Cali013 View Post
I just talked to my doctor and told he reheat happened. She wants me to take 16mgs per day and sees nothing wrong with me taking some extra sub when I'm anxious. That just doesn't seem right to me. I've taken 12mg today and its way too much for me. I'm nauseous, almost fell asleep driving and I'm shaking like crazy! At least it's the weekend and I can try to tolerate the anxiety. I can't wait to get this stuff out of my system! I can't focus at work and nothing makes sense! I do have Klonopin I can use but now I'm even afraid of that!

She did tell me that when we start tapering me off, we need to reduce by 10% each week. That's going to take a long time but if I can do it with minimal withdrawals, I'm all for it. I should have just suffered through the opiate w/ds in the first. I just traded one drug for the other.

Hi l am on suboxone, too, a six month plan with my doctor. First couple of months is stabilize and then I will begin the taper. I've never heard of anyone prescribing taking an extra dose for anxiety though. For one thing it doesn't work that fast, it's a slow acting drug that builds up over time.

Maybe she is just wanting you to also get stabilized at one dose and then taper over time. Perhaps talk to her again and tell at what dose you feel best then together you can decide best time/plan for taper. 10% sounds reasonable, that should probably minimize any withdrawals. I'm sure I'll be posting here as my taper starts, too. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the responses. My goal right now is to get stable. I need to pick a dose and stick with it. I took 12mgs thurs and Friday but yesterday I only needed 4mg. I woke up in pretty bad withdrawals this morning-duh. My doctor has told me all along to stick with one dose but I haven't done that and now I'm a mess. I plan to take a consistent dose just to get stable and after I've been stable for a while I'll consider tapering. I wish I would have never started taking this stuff but I couldn't get myself off opiates without it-pick your poison.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Night owl

Cali, I too have wanted to change my dose around a bit for various reasons, but realized that my doctor knew what he's talking about when having me stay at one dose. I also realized that messing around with my dosing is my addict brain controlling even this, my sincere attempt to get sober. Taking my suboxone exactly as prescribed is important not only so the suboxone can work as best it can in my body, but also to help me change my addictive patterns of misusing opiates like I did before.

So even though I may often think when taking my subs that I'll just do this or that, I finally decided to stay with the same steady dose that my doctor prescribed. I am feeling better, too, with just keeping the same steady dose. Take care.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My suggestion would be consult any good doctors and discuss with him, he may help you out in proper way.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do have another call into my doctor. It just seems that 12mg is too high and now 4 is too low. I was at 4 for a while but probably once a week I would up it to 8. Same addict behavior. Now I just can't get to a dose that I'm comfortable and not suffering too many side effects-I'm getting migraine headaches every night. I know it's going to get better and I've learned my lesson about messing around with my dosage. I just have to remember to stay calm, keep my mouth shut and do not make any changes during this time.

Thank you!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Night owl

Hi Cali, glad you have another call in to your doctor! Sounds like maybe 8mg does work for you, but you definitely need to sort that out with your doctor. I know I'm feeling and doing better since I stopped messing with my dose and am just taking it as prescribed. What a new world, taking an opiate medication as prescribed!

I get migraine headaches, too, and would routinely get them, bad ones, when I ran out of oxy. I'd suck up my month's worth of oxy in a week and then within a week be in the ER with a migraine. Sounds like something similar might be happening for you. Hopefully once you get stabilized on a dose this will clear up. I know how migraines suck and I feel for you!