Markus/ My Story

Old 05-25-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Markus/ My Story

Hi All

I quit drinking 20 months ago , havn't had a drop since .
initially i set myself a target of quitting for 1 year then 2 years
The mind tries to trick me back into it sometimes with thoughts like 'it will be ok to have the odd one' but i have to remind myself that it would lead to my past lifestyle that caused me so many problems.
I think quitting alcohol is about becoming aware of your thought processes and being able to control any thoughts that you know has a negative effect on your life if you take the wrong action.
When you quit drinking you will always have your subconscious trying to drag you back to it but you have to be aware that these are just habitual thoughts repeating themselves after thinking that way for so many years.
The key to quitting for me was understanding how the concious/subconscious mind works and how to be in control of especially the the subconcious works.
Its like a magnet really drawing you back to comfort zones and habits you have had for years.
the way to beat it really is to know that anytime you give thoughts of drinking any time you are on the way back to alcoholism
anytime you quickly shrug off thoughts of drinking your winning the battle.
only thoughts really can bring you back to alcohol and they will bring you back if you allow them to trick you.
Since ive quit ive had to shrug of 1000's of different tricks my subconscious mind has tried to play on me.
it can be something like when i started exercising and going for a bike ride i get something pop into my mind like if i go for a long bike ride i could treat myself to a pint t a nice country pub on the canal.
then you start thinking that would be no harm etc etc
but in reality this type of thought is just something trying to make me lose my battle against alcoholism because if i do have that pint my next thought days later would be that im in control now so one bottle of red wine at the weekend wont do any harm .. then i would be back drinking everyday.
alcoholism is a battle against your subconscious mind. your thoughts.
Thoughts are like weeds , keep cutting them off and eventually they will come back less.
The rewards you get from quitting are amazing im starting to do things that i couldn't do before and relationships improve.
I have trained and become qualified as a professional hgv driver and have a well paid job.
that was totally impossible 2 years ago ... i was totally unrelibale
i would have missed days off work, struggled to cope while at work and probably charged with drink driving from the night before.
Well actually i wouldn't have even been a driver because i wouldn't have bothered training.
I hope you guys can beat Alcohol and start improving your life
theres absolutely nothing you need alcohol for ever
Its an addictive drug that just leads to misery.

I'd like to help people quit drinking , just pm i will try to help anyone and give more details of ways i keep it on tracks.

Last edited by Opivotal; 05-25-2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Rule for posting in this Forum, with members approval.