My story (Brief)

Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My story (Brief)

I was born in 1960 in 1967 I attempted my first suicide (one of many there after) I started drinking at the age of 12. It got progressively worse as the years passed.

I was introduced to cocaine and speed at age 15. From that time on I took every drug available. At age 16 a friend turned me on to heroin. I smoked it at first but then started injecting. In early 1983 for some reason (I don't know what exactly) I began to take stock of my life and my miserable daily existence.

It was at this point that I said to myself that I just couldn't continue living this way. So I made the decision to come off heroin and quit drinking. As well as to stop attempting to kill myself.

A close friend who was neither a drinker or drug user took me into his home after I told him about my desire to become clean and sober. And it was there that I went through the withdrawal symptoms of both alcohol and heroin. (Cold turkey style)

After about three weeks I was slowly beginning to feel better and after two months I was feeling great. And after four months I stopped counting the seconds, minuets, days, weeks and months I was clean and sober. Drugs and alcohol were no longer part of my life so why waste my time counting.

In 1984 a friend of a friend who was a chronic alcoholic in recovery asked would I be willing to come to the rehab center where he was drying-out and share my recovery experience with both staff and residents. Which I was more than happy to do.

A week after my talk the manager of the rehab center called me and asked would I like to come and work there as a group facilitator and personal coach.

I accepted his kind offer and have been working with recovering alcoholics, drug addicts and people suffering with mental health disorders ever since.

Blessings.