Pippa's story

Old 09-04-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pippa's story

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I will tell my whole story when I have more time, but I've posted several times on SR and thought the least I could do was tell a little about me.

I drank for 20 years, the last 7 or so were awful. I held my life together well on the outside, but I was dying inside. I was lucky enough to have a moment of clarity that allowed me to realize I was an alcoholic and needed help. So I went to AA.

Never started going to meetings with the intention of stopping, just knew I needed help. I submersed myself in it: 90 meetings in 90 days, got a sponsor, worked the steps, did service, enjoyed the fellowship. Frankly I could not have done it without AA and don't know how people do. Little by little I was accumulating time.

I went to meetings several times a week for my first 10 years, then went to less as life got busy. Had a great sponsor. Good friends. Got married to a "civilian". My sponsor of 11 years died a few years ago. I had already cut back a lot on meetings.

I haven't been to a meeting in 2 years. I don't have any desire to drink, but of course I am always on the look out for that temptation. I am so happy to have found this site.

I had 14 years this past April. I don't want to lose that. Reading the posts on here the last few days have reminded me how bad it was for me.
I am truly grateful to be sober today.
Tricia