My Story-Rusty Zipper

Old 02-06-2010, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Story-Rusty Zipper

"Rhythm of an Alcoholic"

At a very young age, perhaps 6 or 7, i was in my Uncles Restaurant with the parents,

and a little Three Piece Combo was playing, I was in awe of the Drummer Man.

It was a friend of pops', and I had no idea he played the drums, all I knew he owned a liquor store.

The next few weeks, it seamed drummers were everywhere, yeah, and even the old Ed Sullivan Show.

I asked mom and pop if I could be a drummer, they thought about it, and said, wouldn't you like a more quiet

instrument?

Nope!

As a very shy and withdrawn, yet at the same time playful child, after a few weeks, I said, well?

How about those drums!

I was given drum lessons, and a rubber pad! I didn't want a freak'n rubber pad, I wanted a drum set!

The drum teacher had told my parents, if the kid makes it a year on this practice pad, he's meant to be a

drummer

Hell, call it pride, or false pride, i made it a year, though i was not a good student, hated the real work,

the reading and learning music, the discipline and all the rest.

Christmas came, and a Sears Three Piece Red Sparkle Drum Set was a gift,

it was the most awesome thing on the planet...

that day, of course it wasn't good enough, I wanted more!

Even as kid the more's were a part of my life.

A little Jr. High Band was formed, it was heaven for me, as I had not discovered booze yet, that drum set was

my booze!

Sitting behind that set, I felt like a king, powerful, and sure of myself, i had confidence.

We played lots of school dances, and a little teen joint, called the Hullabaloo

All was well, then one night, who walks in?

My Parents! i thought i was going to die, i felt real embarrassed, and all that power and secure feelings went

the wayside...

Why, why did I have those feelings?

Future drunk I would say looking back.

High School time, we were the band of the town, had all the girls chasing after me, and what did i do?

even the drums couldn't help me overcome my shyness with that.

We played in a New York Club, i was underage, and as it was yesterday, a full pitcher of beer was given me,

slugged that down before the first set!

had a high tollerence from day one, before the night was over, three full pitchers were had by me, and i

remember thinking, wow!, thats a lot of beer!

responce, "I Deserved It, I Worked Hard Tonight" talk about justifying even back then.

The Years rolled on, we did the College seen, and that was something else...

The Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll was way over the Top!

I was drinking everyday, and drugging almost as much, coke, pills, weed, some dope, and Kanebanol!

I was one wacked out dude...

My rhythm as a drummer was still good, though the rhythm of my life was not so good...

kept it up till the age of thirty, then put the substances down, got married, gave up the bands and was like a

Deer in the headlights!

Now What?

My drinking went sky high, to not just everyday, every hour or two.

Got divorced at age 40, and managed after awhile to get in another little band, just to fill some time...

band members exspressed concerns about my drinking, and of course, i said, its ok, no worries.

well in not too shot of time, they said Bub, you lost your rhythm, your drunk all the time...

YOUR OUT!

Now what?, yep, lets drink!

It wasn't soon after that, the drinking was down to 5-10 minutes before the phenomenon of cravings kicked in,

as i was not sober a day in almost 33 years, i didn't have to woory about the desire for a drink, it was way

beyond that point, i needed it to exist!

My Bottom came, hit the rooms, took all the sugestions, worked my ass off on the steps,

and in my second year, i was spiritualy fit, and with the right motives to go to an open jam night in a Bar!

I remember this real top act guitar player saying to me, hey, your not like most drummers i play with, you

have such a backbone to your rhythm, you make it a dream for us guitar palyer to do what we do.

As i smiled, i said, someday you may find out how i do that...

For you see, i took the principals of the program, of the steps, and brought it to my drumming and my music...

And what is it?

Keep it simple!

No show, no flash, just a solid strong, foundation!

You see, the thing that nearly killed me, not the drums, the lifestyle of an alcoholic drummer,

has turned into one of those paradoxes...

Today, the rhythm of my life is awesome, there's the rhythm of the meetings, this site, my daily prayer and mediations,

of my finances, and yep of my romance and more, as i try to encorporate a little rhythm in all i do.

This drunk could not have done it with out all of you, the program, my beloved P.O.E. (home group) and the

steps of A.A.

I would like to thank all the friends of Bill W, You, R.B.A. SR, my sponsors over the years, the P.O.E.

and most of all, my Powers That Be!

Grateful for the Rudiments of faith,

and were one hell of a rhythm section!

Blessings to all

May God bless you and keep you,

until then...

rz