yukonm: My Story (short version)

Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

yukonm: My Story (short version)

began drinking cough syrup when I was about 10yrs old. My mother was a nurse and would bring home those little sample bottles. I remember learning that after I drank 4 of them I would throw up and then go to sleep. This was the first time I used any substance to change my mood.
The first time I ever drank alcohol as a teenager I got sick and passed out. I always drank until I either blacked out or passed out. The first time I lost a job due to alcohol was in 1974 and it was suggested I try going to AA meetings. I laughed at the idea that I was an alcoholic. 15 years later after another employer paid for a drug rehab I attended a 12 Step program for a short time as part of a deal. It took 11 years before I attempted to get clean again through another rehab. I attended meetings but never got a sponsor or considered working the steps, I didn't stay clean very long either. Last year I got in trouble and was court ordered to attend 12 Step meetings. I looked at the schedules and saw AA meetings close to my home. At the first meeting I went to there were only 4 older men in attendence but I felt at ease. I felt at home. It was the same way at the other meeting I attended, which became my home group. Even though it was a nudge from the judge that led me to the doors of AA. I believe it was in God's plan for me. I attend meetings and follow the suggestions. By the grace of God and the encouragement support of my fellow AA members, I have been sober for over a year.