My story

Old 12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool My story

I started drinking at the ripe young age of 9 or 10 years old,i cannot really remember when exactly but i remember loving it and even being aware that there were people in my family most of us actually who already had a problem with alcohol so i remember making a concious decision to grow up and become an alcoholic,i thought it would make me cool. like most other folks in alcoholics anonymous,i was never comfortable in my own skin and always wanted nothing more than to be accepted. i even went so far as to get a little bit older and become a gang member,thats how much i needed acceptance from my fellows. alcohol among many other things allowed me to wear someone elses skin other than my own,i had developed a strong social coping mechanism, and i was not prepared to throw it away anytime soon. little did i know that alcohol and other things would rob me of everything i held near and dear to my heart, and as time went on my family wanted no part of me, i had lost countless jobs, good friends who cared about me and even a place to rest my head at night oh and it got even worse, i lost my freedom on several occasions. then i found alcoholics anonymous after a few trips behind bars and a whole lot of suffering. i went to countless rehabilitation centers and i finally realized that i did not want to go on to the bitter ends, more jails and institutions and even death. since i have been sober (06/29/2007), i have gone to quite a few funerals already and god willing i wasnt the one taking a dirt nap. my life today is better than it has ever been and i thank god on a daily basis for that. today i have good friends and my family back in my life. i even have a wonderful woman in my life and a couple part time jobs. i am also going to school to become an alcohol and drug counselor. what more could a seemingly hopeless alcoholic ask for? God, thank you for alcoholics anonymous!!!:praying