SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Step Three (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/step-three/)
-   -   Step 3 work (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/step-three/391313-step-3-work.html)

Anaya 05-15-2016 06:36 AM

Step 3 work

Reading through all of Intro Step 3 posted in this forum and, in particular, the text that follows the heading, Step 3: Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him:

Today, when answering in my mind some of those questions listed, again, doubt creeps in; I recognize I am feeling intimidated. Step 3 continues to be a challenge for me, and I probably will continue on it for who knows how long, going back and forth between trying to accept and not accepting that I should turn my will and life over to my higher power.

I guess part of the reason I'm struggling (adding to what I said above) is because I'm challenged by the thought of giving up control (of that which I actually don't have control). :)

youbetcha 05-15-2016 06:41 PM

I like to ask God for help in understanding His, It's will for me, and then helping me to carry it out. In cases like you're talking about in early sobriety I would just talk to God honestly and humbly and pour my heart out,, like for example "I don't know how to do this, but give me the willingness to get out of Your way " or " show me how to do this, I'm having a hard time letting go" or something like that. Even when I started letting go and started changing, it's not like I became a shadow of my former self or anything, there's still plenty of self will to work on for the rest of my life. Thanks

Anaya 05-16-2016 02:26 AM

Thanks, youbetcha, for the helpful response. :)

Anaya 05-20-2016 02:20 AM

One practice that helps me gain perspective is committing to some quiet time daily, including meditation and prayer; reciting and embracing the message given by Psalm 23 helps much to clear my head, to give me peace and purpose.

MIRecovery 05-20-2016 03:31 AM

I say the 3rd step prayer every morning

Anaya 06-02-2016 02:44 AM

Praying this morning that I will embrace this and accept this: Step 3: Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him:

D122y 06-02-2016 03:40 AM

Fighting addiction is exhausting.

Embracing sobriety is much more relaxing.

Llke the song says...let Jesus take the wheel.

When I feel burdened, I recite the Lord's Prayer in my mind.

The burdens and obsessing I feel quell immediately when I let go and trust in God.

But, sometimes they come right back, so I contactly pray until they are gone.

I swear it has gotten me this far in my recovery.

Anaya 06-04-2016 05:07 AM

D122y: Thanks for sharing. The message of The Lord's Prayer helps me to stay focused and calm.

oldsoul1122 06-04-2016 11:12 AM

You're letting step 3 have a lot of control over you :).....How it happened for me...It's a decision and the results happen little by little not like falling off a cliff. I still have control over my life but the right kind. The kind that works and not my ego. In the Big Book it says that the world dominated (controled) us. When you have true power you are in control of your world. It was a letting go of what I Thought was power...to get true power. Mine is within.

Anaya 06-04-2016 08:28 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Step 3 is challenging yet it is comforting to think that I don't have to do this alone.

Anaya 06-07-2016 02:53 AM

New day, full of purpose and hope. I will take some time to quietly pray and reflect to move closer to acceptance of a higher power in my life.