Notices

Chapter Four: We Agnostics

Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

56:2-5, 7, 8, 17-18, 20, 56:21-57:3

2-5
He attended church school, where he became rebellious at what he thought an overdose of religious education. For years thereafter he was dogged by trouble and frustration. Business failure, insanity, fatal illness, suicide---these calamities in his immediate family embittered and depressed him. Post-war disillusionment, ever more serious alcoholism, impending mental and physical collapse, brought him to the point of self-destruction.
Here is the story of many of our lives. Rather than adopting a spiritual life we experience the results of a life based on self-will trouble and frustration. Restricted to our own resources by our faulty perception we are unable to meet life's challenges. Alcoholism strips our lives of purpose and meaning, we become sick physically and mentally seek escape.

Our friend's gorge rose as he bitterly cried out: "If there is a God, He certainly hasn't done anything for me."
Here is an example of self-centeredness. We think only of what God and other people can do for us. This is a defect in perception that brings only frustration and unhappiness when things do not go our way. Trying to place God at the center of our lives and seeking ways to further God's will is a way of life that brings happiness, freedom and joy.

But later, alone in his room, he asked himself this question: "Is it possible that all the religious people I have known are wrong?"
We can ask ourselves this same question. We can also ask if the millions of alcoholics who say that they have been restored to happy useful lives by practicinv these principles could be wrong?

17-18
He had stepped from bridge to shore. For the first time, he lived in conscious companionship with his Creator.
Stepping from the Bridge of Reason to the solid ground of faith is the beginning of our relationship with God. The extent of our willingness to believe determines how completely we are able to adopt this new way of life.

No later vicissitude has shaken it.
DEFINITION:
Vicissitude: change of circumstances

56:21-57:3
His alcoholic problem was taken away. That very night three years ago it disappeared. Save for a few brief moments of temptation the thought of drink has never returned; and at such times a great revulsion has risen up in him. Seemingly he could not drink even if he would. God had restored his sanity.
The result of our willingness to believe and a way of life based upon that belief is the removal of our alcoholic problem and a restoration to sanity. What better reason could there be for us to believe in a Power greater than ourselves?

Source:
The Annotated AA Handbook
Frank D
Old 02-08-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

57: 6, 12

Circumstances made him willing to believe.
This miracle of healing is not reserved for those of saintly demeanor but is available to we who have become willing to believe out of necessity.

When we drew near to Him He disclosed Himself to us!
This is a direction for finding God. If we do what we must to clear away what is blocking us we are certain to be successful.

Source:
The Annotated AA Handbook
Frank D
Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Old 10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What do we do as agnostics? I want to be around people that understand me as a agnostic and respect my view. Nevertheless, I want to quick drinking and i know it comes from within us, the drink just has me by the you know whats.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

Have you had time to look at your other post?
I think it has really good infomation for you.

Here it is.....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2411915

From your first post....I think the fact you consider
you are not powerless.....will be difficult to overcome
if you choose to use AA.

AA Step 1
"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol
that our lives had become unmanageable"

I certainly hope you find something that gives you joy and peace.

Last edited by CarolD; 10-26-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
What do we do as agnostics? I want to be around people that understand me as a agnostic and respect my view.
jcolon,

I came crawling into AA as a staunch, devout atheist. I believed that the idea of a higher power was a crutch for weak-minded people.

But, I had also come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as I had been living it, as the book says. I knew that I was doomed to repeat my cycle of drinking, remorse, drinking. So I said, 'What if?' Am I willing to believe in something? Am I willing to take the action to find out?

I became willing to try. I got on my knees with a sponsor and said the 3rd Step prayer. I felt absolutely nothing except silly. But I launched into an inventory, continuing to ask for help from some higher power, even though I didn't believe. I remained willing to believe.

Somewhere in the process of the rest of the Steps, I slowly found that power working in my life. I've come to rely on it. Willingness became belief became faith.

I found that my views were respected and encouraged. My sponsor knew enough to let me find my own answers. He let me find the Great Reality deep within myself. And I did find it by the process of taking the rest of the Steps. That is exactly what the Big Book is about. It's main object is to enable you to tap into some higher power, as long as you are willing.

If you are willing, give yourself over to some unknown power and take the Steps. You will come to understand whatever it is you will come to understand.