SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Step One (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/step-one/)
-   -   Question about step 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/step-one/254342-question-about-step-1-a.html)

Lilmssunshine 04-15-2012 06:14 PM

Question about step 1

Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol.

Does this mean that we cant have hope that the other person could change one day?

FlyerFan 04-16-2012 04:58 AM

Are you talking about being in a relationship? Because if so, you can only change yourself, not others. It took me a very very long time to learn this. I blamed all of my problems on other people and it turned out it was me the entire time, my drinking.

ksumm77 04-16-2012 09:52 AM

For me, I can still pray and have hope that the person will change one day. However, from working Step 1, I now realize that it is not up to me to continue to try and change that person. No matter what I do or don't do, I am not the one that has the power to change that person. I can only change myself and my reactions.

FlyerFan 04-16-2012 05:35 PM

Well said. Also you can always pray for other people. :) You can't change them or force them to change but you can ask God (or whomever your higher power is) to help guide them in their life.

mrmakkey 04-18-2012 11:18 AM

This is by far the most imporant steps, we have to know and admit to ourselves there is a problem before we will make any changes

CatsPajamas 04-20-2012 01:45 PM

I think we can always have hope that our loved one will find a good path and will be able to be their happiest, healthiest, most perfect self.

For me, my hope for others changed as I learned more about my own recovery journey. At first, I wished and hoped for him to change so that I wouldn't continue to live in fear. Later, I hoped for myself - that I wouldn't continue to be afraid and that I would be better so that HE would want to be better. Still later, I realized that I was becoming happier and healthier, and he was still stuck where he was.

Now, I am grateful for my own journey and for the person I've become. My hope for him is that he finds peace in his own life, wherever he is.

candie 04-20-2012 01:47 PM

Just concentrate on healing yourself hun, then when you're well you might be able to help your partner, way down the line:)

Spes 04-21-2012 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lilmssunshine (Post 3364679)
Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol.

Does this mean that we cant have hope that the other person could change one day?

You know...I just joined SR a few days ago out of desperation and received a lot of support from many, including you.

Then I finished reading "Under the Influence" which helped me a lot.

Then this afternoon, I decided to get into this study group because, while I got the schedule, I haven't gone to a F2F Al-Anon meeting yet.

So the first thread I read is yours that is the same question I would have asked. I realize that I am powerless over alcohol. Alcohol is killing my wonderful wife and I can't do a damn thing about it. Talk about powerless.

I think it was my hope that she would change some day that was causing me so much grief and sadness. Whether she changes because of something I do or say, or she changes because she decided on her own is beyond my power to do anything about. I'm going to re-read and think a lot about this first step.

I admit I am powerless over alcohol but I'm not ready to give up hoping she will change some day. I don't see that as a contradiction yet.....but then, this is the first step and I am committed to the whole journey.

Spes 04-21-2012 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=CatsPajamas;3370855Now, I am grateful for my own journey and for the person I've become. My hope for him is that he finds peace in his own life, wherever he is.[/QUOTE]

That means a lot to me.....thank you.