Notices

advice needed for a financial amend for Step 8

Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

advice needed for a financial amend for Step 8

Hi All,

Hi All,

I live outside my native country (Canada), and will be returning there this summer for a 2-week vacation. I have a financial amend to make with someone. This debt of mine has been outstanding since 1994. The last time I spoke with either my friend or his wife is when they tried to contact me my phone in 1994.
I would like to ask if the following scenario of how I should try to make the amend is appropriate.

Since I do not know where the couple lives but do know where my friend works, I try to pay him a visit at his office. Apologize and hand him an envelope containing the sum from 1994, adjusted with inflation, to be the equivalent dollar amount in 2011 values. The debt from 1994 was roughly $350 (Cdn), so it would be now $484.00 (Cdn).

Pat K
Old 04-18-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know of your plan...

I have zero experience with this situation
hope others who do will be along.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Patk,
Congrats to you for being willing to make this right. My suggestion is to ask your friend if repayment of the original amount plus adjustments for inflation make the situation right? Your friend may want interest on the debt or he may just want the original amount of the debt repaid.
Susan
Old 04-19-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Patk View Post
Since I do not know where the couple lives but do know where my friend works, I try to pay him a visit at his office. Apologize and hand him an envelope containing the sum from 1994, adjusted with inflation, to be the equivalent dollar amount in 2011 values. The debt from 1994 was roughly $350 (Cdn), so it would be now $484.00 (Cdn).

Pat K
It might be good to call ahead to his office......let him know you're coming.....and let him know why you're coming.

I'm not a big fan on the surprise visit. As for the $, sounds about right but, as was suggested by SusanLauren, the question to ask is "is that sufficient or what else can I do to set this matter right?"
Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear DayTrader. susanlauren, and CarolD:

Thank you all for your great input and advice!

Patk