Notices

What does Step 6 mean to me as an addict?

Old 09-20-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does Step 6 mean to me as an addict?

I'm working on this step now and my sponsor asked me this question.
She said read the AA 12 & 12 on this step and answer what the reading means to me as an addict. I've read it four times.

I understand it means that I must align my Will with God’s Will. That there is work that I must do to have God remove the defects of character (coping mechanisms). That he can’t/won't do it without my cooperation, but, I’m not sure what this means or is saying to me as an addict.

Thoughts?
Old 09-22-2018, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Being of service to others is my code. Anywhere I may be, there can be an opportunity to be useful to another. Self-sacrifice for another. Not putting myself first. Asking my higher power to help align my will with theirs.......

Have you worked through the steps yet? I'd suggest working through the steps before studying them in depth.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Life as an addict included the development of numerous "character defects" (or "maladaptive coping mechanisms," if you prefer more modern terminology) related to self-will run riot, the destructive results of which I examined in Steps 4 and 5.

Step 6 is about my willingness to have these defects of character removed so that my self-will is no longer blocking me from conscious contact with my higher power.

Or, to put it more modernly, I am embracing a willingness to change -- to undergo a "paradigm shift" away from the self-centered behaviors and mindset that characterized my addictive personality, and toward healthier behaviors and mindset that are incompatible with those I employed as an addict.

That's how it works for me, anyway.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Life as an addict included the development of numerous "character defects" (or "maladaptive coping mechanisms," if you prefer more modern terminology) related to self-will run riot, the destructive results of which I examined in Steps 4 and 5.

Step 6 is about my willingness to have these defects of character removed so that my self-will is no longer blocking me from conscious contact with my higher power.

Or, to put it more modernly, I am embracing a willingness to change -- to undergo a "paradigm shift" away from the self-centered behaviors and mindset that characterized my addictive personality, and toward healthier behaviors and mindset that are incompatible with those I employed as an addict.

That's how it works for me, anyway.

What works for me is an awareness of the character defects. I would like God to permanently remove them for me but understand that's not going to happen.

Character defects and how I address them is how God measures my emotional sobriety.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

for me step 6 is 2 things
first my willingness to have God remove those things I thought was objectionable.My 4th step showed me those things.Was I willing to have God remove those things,yes certainly

second
did i believe God could and would?
Yes but I didn`t know how or when but that didn`t matter,that was God`s business

step 7 is where I joined God in His work here on Earth,my defects , shortcomings and all,to be useful to Him and others.
As mentioned above,I get busy with the rest of the program and be of service now
Old 09-24-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it means your reading The second best recovery Book stay true to both the book Alcoholic Anonymous and the 12/12 it will open doors the whole Universe will come and help you out
Old 09-24-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and yes I'm an addict
Old 09-24-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My character defects made me act and behave in ways that weren't authentic.
They made other people react to me in ways that caused me to have resentments.
My character defects were how my alcoholism played out, drinking or sober.

When everything clicked in Step 5, I couldn't wait to ask God to remove my character defects in Step 6.

If I continue to hold onto character defects, that means I'm back playing God and in self-will run riot. I will step on the toes of others if I do this. I need to do God's will, which means I don't react using character defects, but I respond to life on life's terms.

Step 6's willingness means I don't get to decide what part of me I get to keep or have God remove. It's up to God. He knows best. I ruin my life when I'm in self-will, so I'll stop getting in His way.