Notices

Resentment versus a dislike

Old 04-04-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Resentment versus a dislike

So as it says, any experience on what the difference is between having a resentment against someone (and having a part in that resentment) and just plain disliking someone?. And whilst I am at it a resentment against someone (and again having a part in it) and someone who is toxic and not good to be around?

I am on my step 4 and have been pondering this this evening. Am meeting my sponsor tomorrow but wondered of anyone had any thoughts on this?

Thanks, snitch, a very confused alcoholic lol
Old 04-04-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's my understanding that a resentment is to repeatedly replay and refeel over and over what someone did or said. Our part in the resentment (not our part in what he/she did or said) is how we responded or reacted.

In the way I was taught, just disliking someone isn't a resentment, unless you dislike them for something they did or said and that caused you to act out in response.

If you can get a hold of Joe & Charlie tapes, they explain resentments well.

I've heard different people say different things about what a resentment is and isn't. So I think it'd be best to ask your sponsor.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

if or when i dislike someone, i don’t spend mental energy on it. i don’t think about them when i’m not around them.
if or when i resent someone, it relates to their behaviour, real or perceived. or their way of being, and it affects me. the behaviour and how i feel about it. though, sometines, i am not even affected by their behaviour itself but just somehow feel affected and pissed off.
resentment has me stewing. regurgitating. re-feeling. feeding it. writing the story in stone.
https://mrsponsorpants.typepad.com/m...ng-about-.html
Old 04-05-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
if or when i dislike someone, i don’t spend mental energy on it. i don’t think about them when i’m not around them.
if or when i resent someone, it relates to their behaviour, real or perceived. or their way of being, and it affects me. the behaviour and how i feel about it. though, sometines, i am not even affected by their behaviour itself but just somehow feel affected and pissed off.
resentment has me stewing. regurgitating. re-feeling. feeding it. writing the story in stone.
https://mrsponsorpants.typepad.com/m...ng-about-.html
That is by far the best explanation of resentment I've ever heard. Thanks for spelling it out so clearly, fini.