Notices

Is my sponsee serious about recovery or just lonely?

Old 07-23-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
well...see, i think if she's still angry, then fine, she's still angry.
doing four and sharing with another person and power greater than me as i understand that in takingthe fifth step was about sharing that, trusting someone else to hear it; anger, hurt, shame, humiliation and all.
my sponsor never attempted to make me feel differently or had anything resembling an agenda of how they thought i ought to see something or what a "better" perspective would be or that they knew what i was supposed to " get".
they never tried to be a director. they facilitated.
That's a great reminder, fini, about the point of the 5th step. I'm supposed to be there just as a witness.

they guided me through the process by sharing their experience and knowledge. their questions were open- ended ones, with the aim of helping me clarify for myself, and they did not ever assume, as far as i can tell, that they knew how i felt. they asked me. straightforward, often as simple as the cliched " and how do you feel about that?" or "and what is your desired outcome in this situation?"
they never tried to change me, but led me through the steps of me allowing myself to be changed, so to speak.
That's a fantastic experience. It sounds like they let you come to your conclusions on your own time.

when i read what you are thinking, or sure of, or afraid of here, i am concerned that you have an internal script which has you thinking you know how she feels, how she SHOULD feel and act, what she SHOULD be experiencing, how her journey through this ought to go and turn out.
Sort of. I'm just trying to trust my gut, that's all. But yes, I think I am guiding her too much with how she should see things differently than how she did, versus letting her come to the conclusion on her own.

it is hers, and the steps are the map, so to speak. how she walks that is hers to actually walk.
That's a helpful analogy.

setting boundaries is necessary, and is about what you are willing and not willing to let into your life and space. boundaries are about ourselves.
I just sort of felt like, why am I wasting my time if she's not a real alcoholic. Not once has her addiction come up in our discussions. Drinking, yes. But not in an addictive sort of way. We've gotten through the majority of her 4th step and although she had other self-seeking behaviors, I haven't heard yet about drinking.

quite different from from expectations we put on others about how they ought to act.
True. It's not up to me to tell her how she should have handled a situation she was resentful with. I see now that was my mistake. I thought I was helping, but I wasn't. It's for her to figure out.

oh! the nun? she helped by listening, first and foremost, and accepting without judging, and directing me away from getting bogged in details into a wider view of seeing patterns. patterns relating to my 'defects of character' . quite a surprise, and definitely not what i had expected. it was not a reading of the multitude of pages i had written for step four, thoughi had brought that with me.
it really was a hearing and helping me discern the " nature of my wrongs", not the detailed enumeration
That's helpful. The way I teach the 4th step, the patterns emerge on their own. But reading it, they don't always see it. So I can point it out from their own writing. I have to remember that that's the key here, vs helping them see how differently they could have perceived a situation and reacted to it.

Thanks Fini!
Old 07-23-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

thanks, Tommy.

i find that hard to do, having a bit of a control streak.
so my sponsor has been a great example in that and i have reaped the benefits.
I was fearful she wouldn't get it. I thought I was helping her along. I see now that that was not up to me to do. This is her own journey, and I need to step to the side.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lots of good discussion and From you Path, and everyone.

Something just occurred to me reading through them again- in my experience and in what I have seen commonly around here, either sponsor or sponsee can end the relationship as such, perhaps just going back to a friendship, or starting one.

When I was rigorously honest about my reasons for wanting to change sponsors after step three, I did. I had to decide I had put enough of the right kind of thought, prayer, etc into the decision and quit thinking it through.

As a sponsor myself, with people at different degrees of readiness I have had to be the one to make a change in two cases, for different reasons.

Just some more thoughts from this alcoholic!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Not once in her fourth step "my part" (aka 4th column, where were we at fault, turnarounds, etc) did she write down "drank" in her self-seeking part.

wow.
until i read that, it had never occurred to me.
i don't think i wrote that down once, either.
it was a given...get rid of people and drink.
i saw the "my part" as instruction to look at my behaviours, actions, grudges, character, shortcomings.
how interesting.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Lots of good discussion and From you Path, and everyone.

Something just occurred to me reading through them again- in my experience and in what I have seen commonly around here, either sponsor or sponsee can end the relationship as such, perhaps just going back to a friendship, or starting one.

When I was rigorously honest about my reasons for wanting to change sponsors after step three, I did. I had to decide I had put enough of the right kind of thought, prayer, etc into the decision and quit thinking it through.

As a sponsor myself, with people at different degrees of readiness I have had to be the one to make a change in two cases, for different reasons.

Just some more thoughts from this alcoholic!
Thanks, August.

I had to decide I had put enough of the right kind of thought, prayer, etc into the decision and quit thinking it through.
^I'll focus on this.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Not once in her fourth step "my part" (aka 4th column, where were we at fault, turnarounds, etc) did she write down "drank" in her self-seeking part.

wow.
until i read that, it had never occurred to me.
i don't think i wrote that down once, either.
it was a given...get rid of people and drink.
I found that I had to include it, to both write it, and to say it outloud. It helped me see the connection between my resentments and my drinking.

i saw the "my part" as instruction to look at my behaviours, actions, grudges, character, shortcomings.
how interesting.
I saw that as "my part" too.
My "behaviors" and "actions" included drinking.

My defects of character included that if I wasn't so "spiritually selfish" in that I needed everyone to act or say exactly what I wanted them to, for my own ease and comfort, than I wouldn't have drank.

If I had acceptance and forgiveness, and saw people as just being who they were, and not taken things personally, I wouldn't have drank.

I needed to see this in steps 4/5 to make the connection. I needed to see how I responded and reacted.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Update: This sponsee is confusing me. I am unsure where to go from here.

I think my gut about her was correct. She tells me what I want to hear. She parrots back to me what I say. She's good at this. I can tell she does this in her work life and personal life. I should have followed my gut when I first sensed it during steps 1, 2, and 3 when I didn't think she was a real alcoholic.

We're still working on her fifth step. Even though she sees her part in the resentments, she doesn't think there's anything wrong with how she acted or treated anyone. She sees it more as how she reacted to the person's behavior.

For example, if she was resentful at a co-worker for coming in late, her part was that she judged her and gossiped about her with other co-workers. However, she does not see this as "acting out", "selfish and self-centered", etc. She thinks her behaviors are all completely justified.

I also don't think she's an alcoholic. I have figured out her actual addiction. Although I come from the school of thought that the big book way of doing the steps can work for any addiction, I know nothing about this addiction. And to make matters worse, she is still acting out in this addiction and doesn't see anything wrong with it.

When she told me about a very recent time, she was telling it to me as if it was just her norm, and that there was nothing wrong with it. I remained non-judgemental but asked her if she brought God into the situation. I think she is completely missing something. I also compared it to someone else in her life, and she didn't respond.

My gut says to stop working with her, even though we are not through with Step 5. I wonder anyway if she'll just quit, since she was not happy about viewing her part in the resentments as character defects.

She also didn't seem happy when I started to mention how we harm other people when we're resentful. She seems completely unwilling to look at this.

I had suggested many times she say the resentment prayer about some people in her life. My sense is that either she did, but it didn't process in the least, or that she didn't do it. Nothing from her comes from the heart, ever. There seems to be a major disconnect.

This is such an odd situation to be in. But I don't know if I want to give someone like this more of my time, who isn't authentically going through the steps. I've given her so much of my time already. And she still brings up wanting to stuff together as if I was a friend.

Something is just not sitting right.

Do I continue with her Step 5, and just wait until she balks at Steps 8/9?

Do I suggest she work with someone else?

Do I say that I think she has another addiction, and perhaps another fellowship would be more appropriate?

I'm not sure how to best handle this. Each time I take it to God in prayer/meditation, I cannot figure out what the answer is.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

no, something is not sitting right for you, clearly.
do you think you are able to detach from judgments about how she is doing this and just share your experience and then allow her her own way through this without being prescriptive?
I get what you're saying, but the fact is she can only work from where she's at, and if that doesn't include her heart right now, or her authenticity, then that is where she is.
if you cannot be with her there without your own frustration driving you to doubt her all the time, or without your doubting her driving you to this frustration, then neither of you is served well.

if you want to "let her go", i think sooner is better than having this drag on....wouldn't want to be in either of your positions.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

do you think you are able to detach from judgments about how she is doing this and just share your experience and then allow her her own way through this without being prescriptive?
Yes....I do need to work on that more. To let her have her own experience. To realize that some people just don't see what they need to see for quite a while. To remind myself it's not up to me.

I get what you're saying, but the fact is she can only work from where she's at, and if that doesn't include her heart right now, or her authenticity, then that is where she is.
I have to accept that and remind myself it's not my responsibility.

if you cannot be with her there without your own frustration driving you to doubt her all the time, or without your doubting her driving you to this frustration, then neither of you is served well.
I don't think I'm "frustrated". I think it's more that it's confusing that she isn't seeing things yet.

if you want to "let her go", i think sooner is better than having this drag on....wouldn't want to be in either of your positions.
Good point.
After talking last night, I got the feeling that something inside of her is starting to possibly see that her way of thinking isn't working anymore. I think the true test will be in Steps 8/9. For now, I am stepping away from trying to help her see what she can't see. I'm reminding her of how to depend on God....and not a sponsor. I am no longer listening to any drama, but am redirecting it back in a 4th step way.

Thanks fini!
Old 11-12-2022, 07:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Carry the Message, not the Alcoholic

you know, PTF, i know peole do these exhaustive fifth steps, but i believe (opinion follows) that " the exact nature of our wrongs" does not refer to every single detail of each and every wrong we ever did.
but that isn't reallyyour question here.
i thinkit is not possible for ou to know if she is "just" lonely or serious, and of course she could be both or neither.
but i would think if she has done a thorough fourth and is going through five for endless hours, yeah, that strikes me as serious.
my sponsorperson was careful and held backwith adding their own perspective...they asked some questions and pointed out their own way of understanding the instructions, so to speak, but did not attempt to try and "make " me see , though they did bring a wider angle to the process.
maybe you have expectations of this sponsee that she does not meet?
Or expectations of this process and with this person it isn't quite going that way?
maybe expectations of yourself and how you "should" be able to guide and she 's just not there?

if you need a break, i think you need to make that clear to her. it sounds like you are getting into a resentment here, and that won't be good for either of you.

if hat is the case, you know what is suggested for resentments
I completely agree. We don’t diagnose and we aren’t therapists. We can be compassionate, but we carry the message, not the alcoholic. You, my friend, have great intentions, but trying to “teach” a new perspective? Setting yourself up for a resentment for sure.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

welcome, Alyons
this thread is more than four years old, so not likely there will be a response from the original poster.
if you feel like chatting about something else, go for it!