Notices

Having trouble with Step 1, High-Functioning Alcoholic

Old 01-03-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

In the newcomer packet there's a leaflet (red) with 20 questions have you taken a look at that. if you HAD to drink you were powerless to stop,
Old 10-05-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Feeling nervous about attending my first AA meeting. I am a returned newby and I have tried to quit alcohol many times but have failed. I am a binge drinker, people pleaser trying to find my way to stop alcohol abuse. Is AA the answer?
Old 10-05-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arjip View Post
Feeling nervous about attending my first AA meeting. I am a returned newby and I have tried to quit alcohol many times but have failed. I am a binge drinker, people pleaser trying to find my way to stop alcohol abuse. Is AA the answer?
i dont know anyone that didnt have some amount of fear attending their fkst meeting.
i had fear for some time just attending meetings, but i had one huge fear that kept me going back-
fear of what would happen if i didnt.
but i did more than just attend meetings. to find out what aa was all about, what aa said i had to do to get and stay sober, and what the results would be, i picked up the big book,and read it....many times.
what i liked was what the big book said would happen to me as a result of working the steps sounded pretty good and i decided i was willing to do whatever necessary to them results.
one of the results i rsceived:
We can look the world in the eye. We can be alone at perfect peace and ease. Our fears fall from us. We begin to feel the nearness of our Creator. We may have had certain spiritual beliefs, but now we begin to have a spiritual experience. The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will often come strongly. We feel we are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe.

is it the answer for you?
welp,only you can answer that, but i strongly encourage you to read the big book to find out if you find yourself described and if you like tbe rusult it says can materialize.. the first 164 pages are the program. the rest is personal stories.
you can find the big book online by searching "big book online"
it was the solution for me. not only has the problem i had with alcohol been removed, i have an awesome life and can face life on lifes terms.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for responding to my post Tomsteve . I've not heard about " big book" before. I will def be purchasing it.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arjip View Post
Thank you so much for responding to my post Tomsteve . I've not heard about " big book" before. I will def be purchasing it.
youcan also read it online for free.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

ok You had hep-c,doc said 2 glasses a day. You said you were drinking a bottle a day. Why AA? If your are not powerless just quit. Powerless is not weakness. it means the alcohol has more power than you.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Woops looks like I did not read dates,replied to a very old post.