Notices

Back again

Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Back again

Hello to all. This is my first post on the SR forum, but not my first time around the tables. I've been in and out for years. I'm fortunate to be back; many don't get another chance.

Step One: Well, my wife and kids are discussing moving 2000 miles away from me, and there's nobody crying about it but me. That's sure not my desire. I love those children with all my heart. When the oldest was born, I swore I would quit drinking. Made it about a year.

Once I take that first drink, a craving sets in. Before long, I'm pouring them down like water and making a damned fool of myself. It is absolutely pathetic. That's not what I want; but that's what happens.

I'm powerless over alcohol--my life has become unmanageable.

I thank you for being here, and I hope to get to know some of you along the journey.

Don
Old 02-18-2010, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Don and welcome.

Do you have a sponsor this time to take you through the steps?

If nothing changes, nothing changes. I hope something changes this time and you can enjoy a future life with your family.
take care.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abelian View Post
Once I take that first drink, a craving sets in. Before long, I'm pouring them down like water and making a damned fool of myself.
Sounds like me. OK, you have an abnormal reaction to alcohol. One drink causes an uncontrollable desire for more. The solution is simple, then. Don't take that first drink.

But you've tried not taking that first drink, right? 'The main problem for the alcoholic centers in his mind', as the Big Book says. That utter inability to leave it alone, despite having full knowledge of what will happen when I pick up that first drink. That's true powerlessness, without defense against the first drink.

If you've reached this point, you've placed yourself beyond human aid. The needed power to stay away from that first drink simply isn't there.

Originally Posted by AA BB 1st
Lack of power, that was our dilemma. we had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?

Well, that's exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power greater than yourself which will solve your problem.
That book contains the answers, the directions for how to tap into that needed power. I found it extremely helpful to have someone show me the precise directions in that book.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are making a fresh start
and heading back into recovery.

Welcome to SR...
Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I appreciate your replies. I'm in an extremely rural area. The nearest meeting is an hour away. I'll get there, though, and hope to find a sponsor. I'm on a year's assignment here... until August. This online conversation will allow me to keep in touch daily and get back on the path. Yep, beyond human aid is an apt description of my situation. My front yard is a mountain. Plenty of room for meditation and prayer.