Unanswered Prayers...Really? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
weewillie

Unanswered Prayers...Really?

Hi, weewillie here, a new member.
As a new member, I truly hope this post does not comes across as me being rather presumptuous.

Unanswered Prayers...Really?

You're down on your knees once again and still, God has not replied to your most urgent heart-felt prayer request.

"Unanswered Prayer Requests" soo hard to accept and deal with.....Yes?
You've prayed, perhaps you've even been pleading with God while asking Him for support more than you have ever required it of Him, yet God simply does not reply.
You may feel utterly let down, utterly alone, you may even have descended into burdensome depression or despair, unable to understand why God would not reply to perhaps the most important, the most urgent heart-felt prayer request ever.

If that is even vaguely familiar to you, take courage, read on for here's a promise for all of us, always.

On every occasion, after offering a prayer request up to God, He always answers. He never forgets, never neglects, never overlooks a prayer request, He Always answers.
He may answer speedily, He may answer in due season, and here is the big one, He may answer with a "No", occasionally
Yes, God "Always" answers our prayer requests. There are "No" unanswered prayer requests from God, ever.
We must never confuse a No Answer from God, with a No Reply, from God.

The human father.
Being fully aware his child's request on any given occasion may cause the child hurt or harm, a wise human father will adopt that "No" occasionally.

Isn't it just so then, a wise human father\mother is as well aware as you and I are that no matter how sincerely he loves his child or children there are occasions when the child or children, must learn to accept the occasional "No" in reply to a request.

So much wiser then will our Father in heaven, much as He loves us, wisely answers a prayer request with a "No" occasionally, "No"...not now my child.

Providing our heart and mind are in the correct place, we can learn to accept a "No" in answer to a prayer request while attempting not to fall into burdensome despair or depression, constantly reminding ourselves God loves us so much that He may\will respond to a prayer request with a "No" occasionally. If we can learn to accept the "No" in reply from God. If we can learn the "No" answer (not a "No" reply) from God is the wisest, most intelligent, most prudent, most foresighted answer we could ever receive, we will be richly blessed now and in our future Christian life, fully aware God still is working in our life despite Him answering a prayer request with a "No" (not just yet my child) or "NO" your request would not result in a positive outcome for you.

Unanswered prayer request\s... I know the experience, I've been there many times in the past. I know the effect it has when we do not fully understand why we did not receive a reply from God after offering up a prayer request to Him however, as the years past it eventually began to sink in that the "No"(not now) WAS the reply from God. I gradually learned to accept the "No" (not on this occasion). I slowly began to realize I must never confuse a "No" in reply from God with a "No Answer" from God. I gradually learned through many sad tears, that I would later thank God for the occasional "No" in reply from Him with tears of joy streaming from my eyes.
I know the feeling to realize the "No" in His answer to a prayer request was the wisest answer I could ever have hoped for, and thanking Him for saying "No" (not on this occasion) not now.

There are no unanswered prayer requests from God, ever.
Doesn't God know us better than we know ourselves? Doesn't God know every little detail concerning all of us? Doesn't it make sense God may reply to a prayer request with an occasional "No" if and when necessary\applicable?
Doesn't it make sense God knows if our heart and mind are in the correct place we will, someday thank Him for that "No"?
Isn't it part of being a Christian to joyfully accept a "No" in reply to a prayer request occasionally? Isn't it part of our Christian life to realize when God says "No" in reply to a prayer request He still is actively working within us?
So, then, we really should rejoice on those occasions when God wisely replies to a prayer request with a "No"... wait a-while.

Unanswered prayer request\s!
Take heart, there are no unanswered prayer requests EVER. We are, each and every one of us is only too aware how deeply God loves, knows us and our intentions, He knows us better than we know ourselves, He knows what's best for us, He knows when to say "No" in reply to a prayer request. Further, God knows if we continue to remain loyal, close to Him, working faithfully while keeping our heart and mind in the correct place, we will gain much from receiving a "NO" in answer to a prayer request with an occasional "No". Isn't up to each and everyone of us to discover, find out for ourselves, discovering and accepting if and when God replies to a prayer request with the occasional "No", we can be assured He still is actively working in our lives for our melioration.
*"Melioration" that particular word perfectly defines the word I intended to use... betterment.
*Melioration, a condition superior to an earlier condition.

On the darkest of days under the darkest of clouds the sun is always shining, waiting patiently for the dark clouds to part in order to bless us with its warm healing glow.
Therefore take heart, for on our darkest of days God, like the sun, is waiting patiently for the right moment to break through the dark cloud that may occasionally hang over our lives, bringing all to a successful ending.

On our darkest of days under the darkest of clouds that occasionally may hang over any one us, God waits patiently for the dark cloud to part in order to bless us with His warm, welcoming, loving, glow, healing our heart mind, body, and soul......

BUT WAIT, what about ......

Matthew 6:33
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Matthew 7:7
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Matthew 7:11
11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
------
Matthew 21:22
If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.

*Mark 11:24
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Luke 11:9-13
9 So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
11 Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?
13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven *give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.
* "give the Holy Spirit"...you know, those four words are worth some serious thought.

John 14:13-14
13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

John 15:7
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

John 15:16
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

John 16:23-24
23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.
24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

James 1:5-6
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

1 John 3:22
and receive from him anything we ask because we keep his commands and do what pleases him.

1 John 5:14-15
14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

15 And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

1 Kings 3:5
In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said, Ask what I shall give you.

Jeremiah 29:12-13
12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

*Have you ever heard or heard of someone responding to an appeal for help with the answer "it's yours" (already).
You will agree, I am sure, the reply does not indicate the person appealing for help has already received whatever he\she is appealing for, it simply means they are now assured it is forthcoming.
That's how I understand the message, the intention, the promises, the assurances within the above verses.

Finally.
Have you ever noticed the thread running through the above verses? God does not actually state a time-frame within which We Shall Receive in any of the above verses?

We believe, we ask in faith, we trust, we wait. There are NO unanswered prayer request's - ever.
Those understandings gradually began to dawn on me way back in the 70's as I gradually began a step by step walk in my life with God, His Mercy, His Understanding and His Abundant Love.

Perhaps many good members in here have waited longer however, despite me being in a very serious situation (my story) way back in the early seventies I held on for a "Yes" reply from God for a year.
Though not particularly appreciating or understanding the wait at the time, I never gave up and looking back, the wait was perfectly correct, perfectly justifiable, perfectly legitimate, and full of wisdom regarding my own particular situation. I simply was not ready, not prepared, not wise enough, not mature enough to receive a "Yes" reply from God at that particular time in my life which would eventually permitting me to move forward with confidence, understanding and strength.

I've not enjoyed a particular easy life however, in the latter part of the 60's God brought a wonderful Christian girl into my life who I would soon marry. Our 50th Wedding Anniversary was last year. We have three lovely children, all grown up and flown the nest. Ten grandchildren, one great grand child.
Our three children are not perfect however, they've never given us any serious problems or trouble. We're just a normal family unit.

It took some time however, I gradually learned from (all the above) an exceptional seriously valuable life-long lesson......
I've never forgotten it.
My wife and I thank God for His abundant love, mercy and wisdom He sprinkles upon all who accept Him into our life..

Fight the good fight, we win.

Warmest regards,
weewillie.

Last edited by weewillie; 02-08-2019 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Typo
weewillie is offline   Reply With Quote
weewillie found treatment at AA
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weewillie For This Useful Post:
Ann (02-09-2019), Culture (02-09-2019), dsmaxis10 (02-10-2019), exzim (02-09-2019), Opivotal (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome Willie

One of the MASH episodes that sticks with me is the one with the Captain who's convinced he's Jesus Christ.

The psychologist - Dr Freedman - asks him if it's true he answers all prayers and the guy says Yes. Sometimes the answer is no.

Some of the things I've wanted the most I got nos for...but I've always gotten what I needed ...even when I didn't know I needed it.

D
Old 02-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
weewillie

Wow, that was quick Dee74, I never expected a reply so promptly and I like it.

I never watched MASH, but I think the captain must have been a humorous individual however, his reply was spot on, wasn't it.

Yes, we do sometimes receive from God unexpected, what shall I say...unexpected gifts. All the more pleasing when they are unexpected.

Thank you
weewillie
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weewillie For This Useful Post:
Ann (02-09-2019), Dee74 (02-08-2019), dsmaxis10 (02-10-2019), exzim (02-09-2019), least (02-09-2019), Opivotal (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I corresponded a little with one of the writers on a newgroup years later and told him I loved that line. He said he did too

Welcome aboard Willie

D
Old 02-09-2019, 05:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome, Willie. Your post reminds me of one of my favourite poems, about how God's answers may not be the ones we are hoping for, but they are always the right ones.

The Blessing of Unanswered Prayers
- Unknown Confederate soldier

I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I had asked for,
but everything that I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were answered;
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ann For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-09-2019), dsmaxis10 (02-10-2019), exzim (02-09-2019), least (02-09-2019), Opivotal (02-09-2019), weewillie (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
weewillie

Ann: Culture: Dee74: exim: least: Opivotal:
I really must thank you all for taking time out to thank me for the post.
I was not quite sure how it would be received however, I should not have been so hesitant in posting it in. Your responses immediately put me at ease.

Dee74, I enjoyed reading your replies and Ann, your poem was quite profound, more so as I had never read it before. My wife also appreciated it.

God bless all of you.
Regards.
weewillie.
(Oh, and please don't be hesitant in referring to me as weewillie. God in His wisdom decided it would be best for me to be a little on the short side. lol)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weewillie For This Useful Post:
Ann (02-10-2019), Dee74 (02-09-2019), dsmaxis10 (02-10-2019), exzim (02-11-2019), least (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

The Mash episode was titled Quo Vadis, Captain Chandler? It was a great episode, I remember it well. Worth watching.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley

least is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Ann (02-10-2019), Dee74 (02-10-2019), exzim (02-11-2019), weewillie (02-16-2019)