Spiritual teachers.......ugh - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2018, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Spiritual teachers.......ugh

So I'm doing a lot of work on myself recently, part of this involves me listening to different podcasts daily and reading books of spiritual teachers.

I love most of what they teach and I'm trying to practise a lot of it, but it's becoming a pressure at times. I'm feeling what's wrong why am I not feeling all this God love energy.

Is it just me?
Glenjo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glenjo99 For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-06-2018), exzim (03-16-2019), Mango212 (09-06-2018), Pathwaytofree (03-18-2019)
Old 09-06-2018, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ann
Nature Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
Is it just me?
It could be. When you "listen" does your mind embrace the concept and feel peace...or...do you mentally argue or comment, things like "I don't believe that" or "That's a silly way to look at things". ?

Do you overload your mind with reading and listening and make this a "study" project or do you relax, let your mind rest at peace while you listen to many different spiritual concepts.

For me, walking in nature...quietly, away from noise and certainly not with music blaring in my ears...and I listen to the sounds of birds and crickets and the river running, I feel the breeze and smell the greenery that surrounds me. I just let it all soak in and it makes me feel "connected" to the universe, to nature and all that is. That too, is spiritual.

What I don't do is go to the river, for example, and expect for it all to come rushing at me, it never works that way. I just make the time, take the quiet, and open my ears, my eyes, and my mind and let it all flow in, replacing the tension and negativity that my have taken up residence in my mind.

You will find what works for you. But I suggest including total quietude and a place free of distraction. Some burn a candle and may place soft music or Zen music, like you would hear in a spa, and just close their eyes and open their minds to the music. It takes practice to not allow the "noise" of other thoughts to burst through.

It starts with you, it ends with you, so yes, it is all about you...in a good way.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ann For This Useful Post:
Culture (09-07-2018), Dee74 (09-06-2018), exzim (09-06-2018), honeypig (09-08-2018), Mango212 (09-06-2018), Opivotal (02-17-2019)
Old 09-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Life is good

Three questions:

1. What do you want from your life?

2. What do you want from this day?

3. Are you willing to invite curiosity?
Mango212 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-10-2018), exzim (03-16-2019), Opivotal (02-17-2019)
Old 09-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Life is good

My answers in this moment:

1. I don't know.

2. I don't know.

3. Most days.

For right now, this is enough. I've asked for healing. I'm being led in healing. That's not what I want from life, though, not on the grand scale. I want more.

One day at a time. More will be revealed. It's a journey, not a race.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-10-2018), dsmaxis10 (09-09-2018), exzim (03-16-2019), Opivotal (02-17-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
weewillie

Just replying to yet another older post.

Glenjo99, Hi.
I do not know if you succeeded in developing a refreshing new mind set since your initial post concerning this matter however, I found your post very interesting and worthy of yet another reply, even at this rather late stage.

You will be aware... but never-the-less just a reminder, that at times, especially as we look towards God for perhaps, new understanding\s, help in becoming closer to Him, more spiritual guidance etc, Satan can\will be at his most active in his devious cunning attempts at knocking any of us off course and placing doubt etc in our mind at every opportunity
He does not want us looking towards God for instruction\help\guidance, in fact he will do anything in his power to discourage. He delights himself with his devious cunning ways, Agreed?
IF that is\was the problem, we have a Get-Out clause......Get You Behind Me Satan.

I had concern in my own mind this past week but,
then I remembered "Get You Behind Me Satan"

It Works.

God bless.
weewillie.
weewillie is offline   Reply With Quote
weewillie found treatment at AA
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weewillie For This Useful Post:
Ann (03-16-2019), exzim (03-16-2019), Opivotal (02-17-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 04:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Life is good

I relate to the concept of evil being a "lack of good". Complete evil is a complete lack of good. Awareness, move ahead. Thank God/Great Spirit for the many gifts and blessings I'm aware of and have yet to see, ask for guidance and look for the good in this life.

New Soul lyrics, by Yael Naim

I'm a new soul, I came to this strange world
Hoping I could learn a bit 'bout how to give and take
But since I came here, felt the joy and the fear
Finding myself making every possible mistake
La-la la la, la-la-la-la la la
La-la-la-la la, la-la la, la-la la
La-la la la, la-la-la-la la la
La-la-la-la la, la-la la, la-la la
See I'm a young soul in this very strange world
Hoping I could learn a bit 'bout what is true and fake.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
Ann (03-16-2019), exzim (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 05:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am not a follower of any spiritual path, and that has brought me peace. When people ask the big questions that inform religious teachings I am content to say simply that I do not know the answers to those, and I am not in fear for my soul or whatever may exist in us that might be transcendental. Nor do I elevate science to a point of being a godhead to follow, there is simply too much evidence that being coldly indifferent to ethics leads to disastrous consequences. I just try to be mindful of my actions and how they relate to others, am open to the beauty that exists in the world however it has come to be, and I happily accept that some things are beyond my purview to explain.
Guener is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guener For This Useful Post:
Ann (03-16-2019), exzim (03-16-2019), Mango212 (03-16-2019), SparkleKitty (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

edit: didnt realize this was another old post brought up.
Ann (03-18-2019), biminiblue (03-16-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Life is good

Hi Glenjo,

Are you doing any 12 step work lately?

I've had a new awareness of my sponsor as being very Yoda-ish for me. Maybe part of that is the Chewbacca reference (on that thread: F&F (Chewbacca and other out-of-the-box God concepts) and some other Star Wars tie-ins lately that I'm just starting to catch the drift of.

#lawofattraction
#playfulconnections
#lifeisgood
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
Ann (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
So I'm doing a lot of work on myself recently, part of this involves me listening to different podcasts daily and reading books of spiritual teachers.

I love most of what they teach and I'm trying to practise a lot of it, but it's becoming a pressure at times. I'm feeling what's wrong why am I not feeling all this God love energy.

Is it just me?
I went through something similar. I found some spiritual teachings to be too abstract to understand. I also got overwhelmed by trying to learn too much at once. I try to just practice a couple of things now at one time, like gratitude, awareness of my thoughts as the observer, etc. I listen more to just listen, versus putting everything I hear into practice. It's also a journey and takes time.
Pathwaytofree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pathwaytofree For This Useful Post:
Ann (03-18-2019), Mango212 (03-18-2019)