Notices

Sir Elton John 16 years sober

Old 04-25-2006, 09:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith also have over 10 years of sobriety and talk very freely about what a positive difference it has made in their lives.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Paused

Carol Burnett

Anthony Hopkins

Drew Barrymore

Mathew Perry battles addiction. I don't know where he stands today in recovery.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Smile

MORNING SR. Sharon here still an Alcoholic and very grateful.

I woke up this morning listening to music and there was an Elton John song on about Norma Jean or Marilyn Monroe. Another wonderful celebraty whose candle was burned out long before ur legend ever did. And then another name poped into my head and i think this is right....John McEnroe the tennis star, whose also sober. I hope that is right?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Paused

I think I may be wrong about Carol Burnett. I've been thinking about it. I think she may have grown up in an alcoholic family or something. I know she's played one in movies and she sued the Enquirer for slander in saying she was drunk, and one.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

a bit of info

"My Name Is Bill"
starring James Garner and James Woods

well, James garner was always in the news busting someone up over a fender bender
i don't know the story
but
he made it to AA
and
not only produced the movie
but
Played Dr. Bob

now, that is "carrying the message"

best
fraankie
Old 04-26-2006, 10:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi again, everyone...

Eric Clapton can be added to the list.

- Phillips
Old 04-27-2006, 08:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90
....John McEnroe the tennis star, whose also sober. I hope that is right?
Probably so. Don't know about his ex-wife Tatum O'neil, tho. John has sole custody of the kids..

Joe Walsh, who had a recent song about recovery. About how he feels lucky I suppose because a lot of his friends hit rock bottom in the grave.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Smile Rock N' Roll

Hi Again, Sharon an Alcohoic.

Now that you mentioned Joe Walsh, i too remember seeing him sing his new song of recovery. Pretty cool.

It is awesome to see band members u use to see in concert or listened to music in earlier times sober today. But i tell you what, they sure could sing and play music like heck back then. ROCK N' ROLL.... Course when i drank i cranked up the music and played the H*** out of my air guitar. : ) Esp. at those Bob Seger concerts. Is he sober today? Then what about AC/DC ...one i know from that group and im not good on names was also taken away due to a tragic death with drugs and alcohol.

I still love music today. And ill never forget how i felt listening to music sober for the first time when the fog cleared. TOTALLY AWESOME. I still crank up my music in my car esp. to the old INXS and Journey. : ) ROCK ON..!

Sharon M.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

Ya know, whenever I hear celeb names mentioned, the main thing that pops into my mind is how hard it must be for them to recover in the limelight. I suppose they are afraid to risk very open sharing in meetings or even with recovering friends for fear of what may end up in the tabloids. We who have the freedom to recover openly without fear of having our dirty deeds posted in tabloids are very blessed indeed. I hope all those celebs are able to find trustworthy sponsors and friends in their recovery programs of choice. I believe we who encounter these celebs in meetings ought to protect their privacy just the same as anyone else. They earned their seats just like we did.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Paused

I shared a meeting in St Louis in 1996 with Sir Elton. He siad when he is playing in St. Louis he regularly makes the Lindell Club for meetings which is where I was. It was an open discussion meeting if I remmber correctly. I had no idea who he was until someone else said something. The same goes for Eric Clampton.

Kasia
Old 07-18-2008, 10:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

??

I came upon this site and I have to say listing all the celebrity people in recovery seems strange to me. Also, is Drew Barrymore sober? God bless her, but I thought sober people didn't drink. Least that's the definition my sponsor gave me. I think it's dangerous to give a laundry list of sober people. There are other things in this string that aren't true--and are public knowledge. Anyway, to learn more about sobriety, the best place to go is rehab or AA.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

*old* thread dude

but welcome anyway LOL
D
Old 07-19-2008, 12:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hugely admire anyone in recovery and making it work!

Cathy31
x
Old 07-19-2008, 01:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Basketball players and Booze:

Chris Mullin was approached by his then coach, Don Nelson, about his drinking. He cleaned himself up and made the all-star team several years in a row, and the 1992 Dream Team with Bird, Magic, Jordan, etc. Mullin openly credits AA for his recovery.

This was after he damn near drank his way out of the league. Talk about a powerful disease! Ironically his coach is infamous for after hours bar crawling in NBA circles.

Another basketball player, I don't know if he was alcoholic but he gave up alcohol for his career, was Boston Celtic center Robert Parrish.

John Drew, an NBA player for several years, was al alkie and drug addict, despite a multimillion dollar career. Charles Barkley writes about running into him living on the street (in Atlanta, I believe) and gave him all the money in his pocket, about $600. Charles says he has no idea where John Drew is today. They played in college together. drew made over $30 million in his playing career and is living on the streets. Can you say cunning, baffling and powerful?

Eddie Griffin has already drank his way out of the NBA, and he is only 25. He played at Seton Hall in college and the MN in the NBA.

Chris Washburn from NC state was a 7' athletic specimen widely thought to have the potential be the next great player when we was drafted in 1986. He had already shown his alcoholic tendencies and as a result was not drafted until 4th, even though he was clearly the top talent to come into the league in several years. He drank and drugged his way out of the league in 3 years. Scottie Pippen said he was the most talented player he had ever played against. In case you are not much of a basketball fan, Scottie Pippen played with Michael Jordan, who I am sure you have heard of.

Obviously I am a basketball fan, and it is sad that some of these incredibly talented people did not make anything out of their talent.

It is equally sad for all of the nameless drunks and addicts out there that didn't live up to their potential in their chosen careers, or as fathers/mothers, etc.

Good thread.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Strange....
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
Old 07-05-2020, 12:02 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Tradition

[QUOTE=inlandza;905575]Great to look up to and admire this celebs. But be very cearful that you dont put them onto pedistools and when they fall you fall with them.
I know of atleast one name on that list that has fallen and very hard at that and some poeple did follow him its a big pitty cause he has the money for a new rehab round but do the average JoeSoap have that type of money
BE VERY CEARFUL[/QUOTE

This is why Tradition 11 is so important as when the tradition is followed the above can and will not happen
Old 07-05-2020, 12:06 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

You picked a pretty old thread to start on, but welcomet3027ga

D
Old 07-07-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Russell Brand is another.