Notices

Class of March 2020 Part 6

Old 08-31-2020, 03:36 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

I’m glad you’re posting Be. I think that was one of my mistakes previously, I didn’t post , just withdrew into myself and let the AV take over.
Being open about your thoughts and feelings is a really good thing.

I’m a bit flat at the moment, struggling a bit emotionally and really tired.
It’s 8.30pm and I’m off to bed, night night everyone.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
I’m glad you’re posting Be. I think that was one of my mistakes previously, I didn’t post , just withdrew into myself and let the AV take over.
Being open about your thoughts and feelings is a really good thing.

I’m a bit flat at the moment, struggling a bit emotionally and really tired.
It’s 8.30pm and I’m off to bed, night night everyone.
Sorry to hear that willow - hope you sleep ok and feel a bit brighter in the morning. We'll be here ready to listen if not ♥️
Old 08-31-2020, 09:13 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

BE, I would just focus on not being a drinker today and worry about the future later. Thinking too much about the future usually gets me in trouble. While I do consider myself a non drinker, all it takes is one bad day to change all that. This pandemic and so much isolation is not helping matters, but we should be proud to be sober through most if not all of it.

Willow, it is probably pretty normal to feel flat and emotional two months in. I still feel that way and think it is a mix of somewhat early days of sobriety and isolation. I just got a Facebook notification and just realized I haven’t been on a vacation or anywhere since August 2019. This is not normal and it’s no wonder people are feeling down.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:00 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Well I've got through the day sober! This is so weird, my mind is flip flopping and just choosing to drink, and then coming back and making a more rational decision. I've not experienced it before and it's not very pleasant. I just don't understand it at all. I also can't explain it, I can recognise my AV and have dealt with that fine, this is different and just weird. I'll stop trying to explain it as I can't.

Still, I've got a very tight plan for tomorrow and am going right back to basics: one day at a time and planning my day to be really healthy and balanced. I guess that this too will pass

Old 08-31-2020, 11:10 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Right now, these are all just thoughts bouncing around and it is super-hard.
But we do not have to act on our thoughts....no matter how many times they attack.

Acting on them and choosing to drink is going to bring a whole new world of real problems, leaving no time for contemplation.

This might be uncomfortable for sure Be, but it is nothing compared to the very real discomfort that alcohol will bring back to your life if you let it. s xx
Old 08-31-2020, 01:38 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Thanks Be and Bilr I had a good sleep and am having a lovely cup of tea this morning.

Be, I have fluctuating thoughts about drinking too. Sometimes I really think I am going to drink. But I know where that will lead, so I do my best to bat through today without drinking. Just today. I will not drink today. So even when those drinking thoughts come along, and they do for me, frequently, I think well I won’t drink today. And then I get through the day and wake up sober in the morning and do the same thing again. I think for me, one day at a time works best.

The thoughts about drinking in the future do come into my head (they’ve been popping in and out of my head often), but as Dee and Suze have said, they’re just thoughts , we don’t have to act on them. We can’t control the future, but we can choose to not drink today. And all those todays will just add up and strengthen our resolve the more todays we can string together. I just keep reminding myself of the awful consequences tomorrow if I drink today, and I don’t want to feel like complete and utter crap tomorrow so I won’t drink today. Sending love and support to you and to all of us
Old 08-31-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can recognise my AV and have dealt with that fine, this is different and just weird. I'll stop trying to explain it as I can't.
Its not different tho. Any thing that makes drinking seem like an option is AV.
Any thing that suggests something dangerous and illogical and against reason is AV

If it doesn't seem like the AV you've known up til now...well you're a smart guy - I expect your AV is pretty deft at changing its approach as well.

It still wants you to drink, and it still lies.

This doesn't have to end in a relapse Be. Thats another lie.

D
Old 08-31-2020, 04:27 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

When I have thoughts of drinking I ask myself why, to what end. Will I be on another 6 year streak or longer of thoughtless drinking? Would I like the romantic notion that I can sip a beer at an outdoor cafe without a care in the world? Sure, but it would not stop at one beer or one day. That one beer would set things in motion where I wouldn’t be able to stop. I don’t want to go back to the lies, deceit and misery of what just one drink might set off. I stopped being a normal drinker many years ago, or actually I don’t think I was ever normal. I always binge drank even when I was younger. The idea for me is to get drunk and that is not a good idea for the present or future.

hanging out with your mates tilting a few pints sounds like fun but you’re the one who will pay the price, not them.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:28 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Awesome posts Dee and Bil s ❤️
Old 08-31-2020, 04:30 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

I agree, anything in our head at all that wants us to drink, or says it’s ok to drink, is AV. My AV changes it’s disguise all the time. It’s constantly coming up with new and often subtle tricks (or not so subtle, sometimes it’s screamingly obvious). But it’s all lies. Drinking for us is never ok.

The AV tries to rationalise drinking. It tries to tell us it wasn’t so bad. Or that it won’t be so bad now, or it will be ok in the future. It tries to tell us we can control it now. It tries to trick us into drinking by telling us it will be fine, and fun. But it’s complete bull****. The AV is an adept liar, conman, chameleon and thief. All it wants is a drink and it will use whatever methods it can dream up to try to convince us to drink. But we don’t have to do what it says. The real us, our deep authentic self, doesn’t want to drink. So we get to choose. We can say no. We are the boss, not the AV. We need to keep ferreting out the truth from beneath the AV’s lies. Drinking won’t take us anywhere good.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:41 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

^^^ Yes!! ❤️
Old 08-31-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

It is true:

DRINKING WON'T TAKE US ANYWHERE GOOD.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:17 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, still sober thanks to your support!

Day is planned, alcohol not getting a look in today, I feel like I'm climbing down the ladder (but I seem to be going down slower than I went up 🤷‍♂️ )
Old 08-31-2020, 11:31 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

We continue here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-7-a.html (Class of March 2020 Part 7)

D