Notices

Rock concert tomorrow, sober and nervous

Old 01-22-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I go to a lot of concerts, probably 15 or so a year. My wife and I are trying to see all of our favorite artists while they are still able to perform. (I just missed out on seeing Tom Petty before he died, which bums me out).

The best part of going to rock concerts now is that I am sober. And the next day I actually remember the setlist.

It's unbelievable how much more enjoyable it is to experience the music sober, instead of being so wasted you don't remember.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So true Zebra. So true.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I dont go to many concerts but I have been to hundreds of NBA games. Every single game I would be drinking/drunk. Often times I would black out mid game. Sometimes I would have to check my phone in the morning to see who won.

After deciding to stop drinking I gave it a few weeks before I went to a game. The first game sober, I went with family rather than friends. I told myself before the game, it was ok if I did not have fun, but under no circumstances could I drink.

Sitting there without a beer was strange and unfamiliar. I did enjoy the game but I also really wanted a beer. After 2 or 3 games I got into the habit of not drinking. Now, I love going to games sober. They are by far more fun now than they ever were when I was drinking.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I feel much better hearing from other people that it will be ok if I don't enjoy it.. I think I will just go with the thought of having a new experience sober..
I only have 1 regret in my life and that is not seeing Carlos Santana live when I had the chance.
2011 we had tickets, sober at the time, my partner at the time wanted to protect his sobriety so fiercely that he forewent going to see an idol, Raul Rekow, now Raul has passed away and I know I won't get the chance to see Santana as not so many people come to NZ.
So I don't want to do this, I want to find a way to do this sober and enjoy at the same time..
Old 01-22-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Red, I realised early on in my road to recovery that life goes on - with or without me. It was extremely difficult for me in the beginning (think it was too much too soon) to go to social events.

At first it was like seeing how long you can hold your hand over a burning candle - but it did get easier. Now, I partake in every single event organised by my friends or husband and I can honestly say that I'm okay with it. As long as I have enough soda water , I actually have as much fun as the drinkers.

The bottom line is , you are the only one who can honestly say if you are up to it or not. If you have even the slightest doubt - don't go.

When in doubt, stay out. Lots of love XXXXX
Old 01-23-2020, 10:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

2nd band down 3 to go, music is awesome but I'm suffering tbh, nearly had a drink a few times but I didn't cave.. My FIL gave us a ride in his new convertible so I don't have an excuse not to drink. Let's see how the rest of the night goes..
Old 01-23-2020, 10:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

My FIL gave us a ride in his new convertible so I don't have an excuse not to drink. Let's see how the rest of the night goes..
You have the best excuse ever not to drink Red - not only is it the only way forward, but you know first hand how deadly this stuff can be and how fragile life is.

Hate to be blunt like that, but you know what the right thing to do is - a little short term irritation is nothing.

You can do this. Don't 'see' how the rest of the night goes - nothing good can come of being passive right now Red - make damn sure you make decisions that keep you sober.

D
Old 01-23-2020, 11:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm all good now, it's passed, 3rd band down and I'm feeling way more comfortable, everyone else is drunk so I don't feel so awkward lol
Old 01-23-2020, 11:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have seen the following bands sober:
Lynrd Skynrd
The Eels
Morrissey
Shaun Ryder
Jethro Tull
Teenage Fanclub

I love going to gigs sober now.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it though red.

Be alert the rest of the long weekend too - our inner addict doesn't like being thwarted.

D
Old 01-24-2020, 12:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

One band left to go Dee, Wolfmother but I'm bringing it in sober..
Kids bday party all day tomorrow so I'm safe tomorrow but will still be vigilant..
Old 01-24-2020, 04:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

What I learnt tonight is that I enjoy a concert more when I'm moshing and dancing, I overcame some of the anxiety of doing that sober tonight, I danced but I didn't mosh, so maybe next time I might mosh or should I say jump around lol.

Thank you everyone for your support, it all helps to get through and especially you Dee...faat response, helps to keep me focused, I'm glad I posted because my AV nearly didn't let me..

Sober, tired and happy... Bedtime..
Old 01-24-2020, 09:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Just you wait and see how many sober people there are at that concert. The number will astonish you, or at least it did me. It is ALWAYS astonishing how many sober people there are. Take for instance this past NYE. We had a get together at the house with some new friends. There were 8 adults and lots of kids. Out of the 8 adults guess how many drank and how many didn't... Well I'll just tell you.

6 of us didn't drink, 2 did throughout the night. Yes of those 6, 4 had a shot size of champagne at midnight and then went back to water, soda, juice etc. We had sparkling cider (for what I thought would be for the kids) and those 4 bottles of sparkling cider were gone while we still had 1 whole bottle of champagne left out of 2 and the one still had some left in it.

Point is, as we "grow up" lots of people decide not to drink or just drink once in a great while. Events that I would normally be hammered at have a lot more sober people then I ever would have imagined.

What bands are you going to see?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Jryan the bands were some kiwi bands plus the headliner.
The vibes
Dead favours
Skinny hobos
Devilskin
Wolfmother
The middle 3 by far the best, disappointed in the headliner, an aussie band, they defo have some awesome songs but overall I don't rate them much, was the 2nd time I saw them and the 3rd time I've seen Devilskin. 1st time we saw Devilskin my partner got kicked out at the end of the concert, we ended up in a massive argument and I blacked out.. Not this time thank gosh..
There were a lot of people drinking water but also a lot of people were drinking including some friends that were there, I told them I wasn't drinking and they admitted they were alcoholics and drank everyday, they were totalled at the end of the night, my Stepkids were looking at them like wtf lol and I wonder how many times they've looked at me like that...
Old 01-24-2020, 02:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good job Red!

Nothing like watching a bunch of drunks to turn you off