Notices

10 months sober and quitting smoking ✌

Old 01-19-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 months sober and quitting smoking ✌

I did post a thread recently about wanting to quit smoking as well as maintaining my sobriety. I'm feeling in a pretty good place to achieve this now - and I'm just coming up 2 days without a cigarette. The urges you get can be very intense - but they pass with time! I am eating a lot too.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I Guarantee you will not regret quitting smoking.
I am doing it backwards. I gave up cigs 22 years ago and am still fighting the alcohol.

Nicotine cravings are a ***** I know just hang in there
Old 01-19-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
I am doing it backwards. I gave up cigs 22 years ago and am still fighting the alcohol.

Thank you! I will try my hardest to resist cravings. Well done on 22 years cig free!
Old 01-19-2020, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I need to do this. For Gray, are you using patches or gum?
Old 01-19-2020, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit about 15 years ago. Did the on/off and weekend only things, which were all just ways of kidding myself. Would always go back when drinking.

One of the best things I ever did was quit. Hoping that I will be able to add another thing to that list. Would have dreams that I had went back to it and would thank God when I realized it was just a dream. Haven't started doing that with alchohol yet. We'll see.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 days! When I quit years ago, I had intense cravings as well as major mood problems with a lot of irritability. Sounds like you carefully chose your time to quit and are off to a good start. Best of luck!
Old 01-19-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Eleven days for me Gray. Yay!

I'm using nicotine replacement therapy, don't think I could do it without. But I'm finding now at 11 days my use of the replacement therapy is reducing, and I was a seriously committed smoker. Note my use of the word, WAS!

Went to the dentist today and she was cheering for me. And I'm cheering for you Gray. Everything about me feels so clean.

Thirty five days no alcohol.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You lads and lasses quitting smoking. Much respect. When I drank, the smoking light was lit. But I never smoked otherwise, thank goodness. Another wicked addiction that wants to kill us. I'm so glad you all are fighting the good smoking fight.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are a very rare type of smoker indeed, Surrendered. Only when drinking, that is.

I'm really committed this time. My neighbour just told me I looked really well!

The good fight continues.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Eleven days for me Gray. Yay!

I'm using nicotine replacement therapy, don't think I could do it without. But I'm finding now at 11 days my use of the replacement therapy is reducing, and I was a seriously committed smoker. Note my use of the word, WAS!

Went to the dentist today and she was cheering for me. And I'm cheering for you Gray. Everything about me feels so clean.

Well done on quitting smoking. I also did it with NRT patches and would recommend doing the full course, as even if you think you have got it in hand after a few weeks, for me the cravings went on for months and would come out of nowhere really powerful.

Also when you get a craving just say to yourself while it is happening...NOPE...….Not One Puff Ever!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great plan: free from the shackles of addiction 🙏
Old 01-20-2020, 12:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I "started" to read Allen Carr's book about how to stop smoking and got 75% through and it really makes sense for smoking and drinking [The drinking is my opinion].
I've managed the drinking so far and I plan the smoking will be next up.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

6 months alcohol free and coming over 4 month and a half nicotine free.
I used champix this time. I tried nicotine replacement but I was not making it. It worked in the past though; I did not smoke for years. Until I decided i could smoke one while totally drunk. Slowly but surely I was back to one pack a day.

Champix was perfect for me. I could order it on-line from the pharmacy and did the trick. I had no secondary effects like others. I am very happy I am not smoking. It is difficult. The cravings (in my case) were much stronger than drinking cravings. But the idea of not smoking for ever was always super attractive and, in that sense, fighting the addictive voice much easier.

I edit to add that i quit first time cold turkey when I was 18 or 19 for a few years. Every time I have restarted it has been more difficult

Good luck
Old 01-20-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post

I quit smoking years before I quit drinking too. In fact, just about 22 years before. Information on the danger of smoking was more available than on alcohol, back then. And cigarettes are so addictive that it was easy for me to see I had a serious problem. I didn't do anything about my drinking because the progression is much more creeping and insidious and easy to hide from, until the bottom falls out, and you get the message.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
I need to do this. For Gray, are you using patches or gum?
COLD TURKEY! I can't wait for all the nicotine to be out of my body - feel like it might be a bit easier then. I cant believe I got through a shift at work today without smoking!!
Old 01-20-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post

Well done!!! And thank you! I know what you mean about the clean thing. It's only been 3 days and my sense of smell has heightened to levels I never thought possible. And I was reminded how lovely not having hangovers is at work by a colleague who was feeling quite rough!
Old 01-20-2020, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done on getting through a shift without smoking Gray.

There is a frangipani tree in my front yard and I could smell it while sitting inside.

Day 12