So scared of this particular forum

Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Well this will be really interesting MrsBee. Since you are committed to completing it won't it be interesting to see how that all pans out!

How long is the course?
The course runs for six months...we meet for 7 hrs every Sunday, and then throughout the six months, I'll have to choose a number of classes to "student teach" basically, but that will work itself around my current work schedule. No doubt this will be a huge challenge and put a lot on my plate, but I'm hoping that staying so busy will be a good thing for me! I've felt stagnant for so long!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clover71 View Post
Hi Mrs Bee

Also as an ACOA, it's terrifying because I thought "not again" and "how could I have chosen the exact opposite of what I wanted". Going to alanon was scary for me. I cried the minute I walked in the door. I haven't been able to go for quite some time now, but it did help me. I'm glad you posted and I'm happy to hear that your husband is being proactive. Good on you for doing the same.

It's all very scary for good reason, but we are stronger than we think. Perhaps individual counseling might be a good avenue too, especially when you are now leaping into this class and have concerns about not finishing things I've had the same troubles in the last with certain things. I think it has to do with my own anxiety
I've done individual counseling in the past and have definitely found each time to be a positive experience. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to getting back into it!

It's funny...I always knew that being an ACOA had its impact on me, but I guess never realized the extent of it, or just exactly how damaging it can be. There are so many ways it's caused me trauma, and I'm only realizing some of those ways now.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrsbee View Post
No doubt this will be a huge challenge and put a lot on my plate, but I'm hoping that staying so busy will be a good thing for me! I've felt stagnant for so long!
It sounds like a really enriching experience, not just something you are learning. I hope you find it to be actually rewarding and fun, since it is something you are obviously really interested in.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I found this forum a little under three months ago when my line-in AXBF dumped me suddenly and I realized I had been keeping his drinking a secret for so long from my friends and family.

It has been a wonderful and blessed relief to learn from the people on these boards. I am also ACOA and it's been eye-opening to see how much these patterns have affected my whole life. I'm very introverted and very uncomfortable with displaying emotion but I've also been doing much more yoga lately and realizing that it's ok to feel things. Just the other day we were in a very long crescent hold and I felt this sudden and intense anger welling up in me - definitely not the typical types of emotions I experience! I found this article incredibly helpful - jsut because I need to remind myself daily that when it's uncomfortable is when the actual practice begins. Good luck to you!

https://cultivatecalmyoga.com.au/its...anger-in-yoga/
Old 01-21-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello, I don't know what your faith base is, but if possible look into Celebrate Recovery where you and your husband could go together to the large group portion and then you break off into small groups after that. It may be a lot less scary for you. I was terrified when I first went, but it turned out that it saved me!

SR is a place of great support, I am glad you are here.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Hello, I don't know what your faith base is, but if possible look into Celebrate Recovery where you and your husband could go together to the large group portion and then you break off into small groups after that. It may be a lot less scary for you. I was terrified when I first went, but it turned out that it saved me!

SR is a place of great support, I am glad you are here.
I've never looked heard of Celebrate Recovery, but I thank you for sharing. This definitely sounds like something I would be interested in!
Old 01-23-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I credit CR from saving me from some of my darkest days. It's a truly wonderful program!

Originally Posted by Mrsbee View Post
I've never looked heard of Celebrate Recovery, but I thank you for sharing. This definitely sounds like something I would be interested in!